Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Stroke or forced induction

Which is cheaper? I've thrown around the ideal for some time now and was curious as to which ould be cheaper in the long run??

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Cheaper? ANYTHING but FI...

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Cheaper? ANYTHING but FI...
    It cost that much for FI or you prefer anything over FI??

Black
    1998 Trans Am

FI can be pretty expensive, but so can a stroker. Both depend on how much of the work you do yourself. If you can pull the motor and put it back in yourself, that saves quite a bit of money, as you don't have to pay someone to do that. A FI kit can be just as hard or harder than that, depending on what kit and etc.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    It cost that much for FI or you prefer anything over FI??
    Going F/I costs a lot more in general because you are converting almost the entire engine over for boost. Stroker keeps you NA, which the engine already is, so the main costs are mostly just the internal parts.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

I know that it cost about 3700 for the stroker kit, unless you know of some place cheaper, but about how much would it run to get the block resleved? and can I use the LS1 heads and intake?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Going F/I costs a lot more in general because you are converting almost the entire engine over for boost. Stroker keeps you NA, which the engine already is, so the main costs are mostly just the internal parts.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Unless you are wanting a lot of cubic inches, you don't need to sleeve the block. Using the stock block or a 6.0 block is fine. You can use the ls1 intake and heads on a stroker, but replacing the ls1 intake with at least the ls6 or a FAST intake, is a much better option. Lots of people use ported stock heads and there is a good sized aftermarket of heads as well.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

forgive me for being naive, but can you stroke then FI? or will that cuase a break down?

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

What's the biggest ci's that you can go with out sleeving the block? and what kind of stroker kit is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Unless you are wanting a lot of cubic inches, you don't need to sleeve the block. Using the stock block or a 6.0 block is fine. You can use the ls1 intake and heads on a stroker, but replacing the ls1 intake with at least the ls6 or a FAST intake, is a much better option. Lots of people use ported stock heads and there is a good sized aftermarket of heads as well.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    forgive me for being naive, but can you stroke then FI? or will that cuase a break down?
    You sure can. Just got to keep the compression ratio low. Like anything, forged parts are better than cast. Which ever route you go you just get to a point where you just can't get around using better parts. N/A or F/I when you get to higher horsepower you can count on more money to maintain it.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Using an iron 6.0 block you can go to 408, stock ls1 block you can go up to 383. When I get the chance, I'm building a 408 stroker myself.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Hummm, I didnt' realize that you can go that high with a stock ls1 block, I always thought that it had to be resleeved, even for a 383...... Here's a nother question, is there a place to get a 383 stroker kit for a decent price?
    Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Using an iron 6.0 block you can go to 408, stock ls1 block you can go up to 383. When I get the chance, I'm building a 408 stroker myself.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

I did my 383 stroker for my lt1 for 2500$ through my local machine shop. So you should be able to find someone local to give you a good price quote!

Also N/A vs FI is alot depending on how much power your looking for. Also what your plans with the car is?

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

my plans with the car is to build something that I can get out on the weekends or when ever I want to and go out and cruise or play, but I want to be around 450 to 500rwhp on a dyno jet dyno, previous pull of 388rwhp. as far as the motor goes I want to stroke it with forged piston, port my heads,ls6 intake, TR T-REX cam. I already have the TR224/224 112lsa cam, lid, mas, slp ram air,smooth belllow,bigger valves,LT's, moser 12bolt 4.56 gears. exhaust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    I did my 383 stroker for my lt1 for 2500$ through my local machine shop. So you should be able to find someone local to give you a good price quote!

Also N/A vs FI is alot depending on how much power your looking for. Also what your plans with the car is?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Well if you had the $ Your best bang would be to stroke it with Dish forged pistons for lower compression and get a turbo kit!! But with Both your going to be able to make way over 500WHP easy. On around 10lbs of boost you should be close to 700-800WHP on a stroked motor.

But If your current motor does not have a problem you should be able to buy a turbo kit. 5000-6500$ and make your 500WHP goal easy without tearing into your internals.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

That would be awesome but it's already apart. I sold the car to a buddy of mine then he was going to build a stroker and lost intrest in it so he sold it back to me with the motor out and tore apart already.
    Well if you had the $ Your best bang would be to stroke it with Dish forged pistons for lower compression and get a turbo kit!! But with Both your going to be able to make way over 500WHP easy. On around 10lbs of boost you should be close to 700-800WHP on a stroked motor.

But If your current motor does not have a problem you should be able to buy a turbo kit. 5000-6500$ and make your 500WHP goal easy without tearing into your internals.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Since its already apart just stroke it and put dish pistons in it so you can turbo it later on!

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

I may do that, I was wondering if you would know if I would be able to run the T-rex on a stroked motor?
    Since its already apart just stroke it and put dish pistons in it so you can turbo it later on!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Why are you dead set on using a T-rex cam? You should get a definite plan of how much power you want, N/A or FI, and after you get the heads ported, get a custom cam to fit your needs. It'll make more power and you won't have to worry about whether it works or not. For N/A, you could get a stroker kit and a 6.0 block and a decent set of ported heads and good intake and it should make 500whp fairly easily.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

I would get a custom cam one you decide to go FI. Any machine shop will be able to set down and go through numbers with you to give you an idea of what your getting into. Or at least here I can talk with several guys thats knows. But either way count on 5k for stroked just to cover your butt on small things and around 6500k on FI. That is also everything new.

You probably can find a good procharger setup used for around 3500$ I have seen several.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information