Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Stroke or forced induction

This is a discussion on Stroke or forced induction within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm not dead set on using the T-rex, I just couldn't get anybody to answer my Questions about it so ...

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

I'm not dead set on using the T-rex, I just couldn't get anybody to answer my Questions about it so I kept on asking. But it is the first cam that caught my eye. I guess I'm just tring to see what my options are.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Why are you dead set on using a T-rex cam? You should get a definite plan of how much power you want, N/A or FI, and after you get the heads ported, get a custom cam to fit your needs. It'll make more power and you won't have to worry about whether it works or not. For N/A, you could get a stroker kit and a 6.0 block and a decent set of ported heads and good intake and it should make 500whp fairly easily.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    I'm not dead set on using the T-rex, I just couldn't get anybody to answer my Questions about it so I kept on asking. But it is the first cam that caught my eye. I guess I'm just tring to see what my options are.
    Ok, you're best bet is to figure out how far you really want to go with this. I mean if your goal is 500hp then count on bigger injectors, fuel pump, and then you may as well start thinking about your drivetrain. You build something up, meaning your motor and the next thing that becomes the "weak link" is the clutch, then the tranny, and finally the rear. Actually I'd say the rear before the tranny but you get the picture. You're going down a road where the cost starts adding up in your quest for more. Believe me, we've all done it. This isn't a cheap hobby...lol. My wife reminds me of that all the time. Then you're gonna want 600, 700, and even 800hp...it never ends....it's a drug...

Ok seriously, as far as the cam goes, I go back to my original statement. How far do you want to take this? Is it a daily driver, track warrior or both? I know some guys are going to debate this but I dont like a lot of duration on FI cars. What you can do is do what I did. Call up Comp Cams and have them grind you a custom cam. It's not much more than a "off the shelf" cam. They can go over with you what you're doing and figure out what you need.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    I may do that, I was wondering if you would know if I would be able to run the T-rex on a stroked motor?
    That cam is not for FI or a stroker. It was designed for a specific thing; stock heads, stock cubes & compression, max-effort hyd roller cam-only cars. When you look at the ET list for cam-only cars, something like 7-8 of the top 10 use it. Go with a custom for your app. Pick the cam last.

I like more duration on SC cams, less on turbo. Turbo cams can be less than 220deg @ .050 for 800rwhp. Awesome drivability.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

This is my play toy project not a DD just when I feel like takeing it out. I didn't realize about the injectors and fuel pump, so thanks for that info. but as far as the drivetrain it's all "beefed" up already if I stroke it I probably won't go FI, because my wife wouldn't let me, but if I go FI I probably will go stock just lower CR. As far as the cam goes I'll probably go with a custom grind cam.
    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Ok, you're best bet is to figure out how far you really want to go with this. I mean if your goal is 500hp then count on bigger injectors, fuel pump, and then you may as well start thinking about your drivetrain. You build something up, meaning your motor and the next thing that becomes the "weak link" is the clutch, then the tranny, and finally the rear. Actually I'd say the rear before the tranny but you get the picture. You're going down a road where the cost starts adding up in your quest for more. Believe me, we've all done it. This isn't a cheap hobby...lol. My wife reminds me of that all the time. Then you're gonna want 600, 700, and even 800hp...it never ends....it's a drug...

Ok seriously, as far as the cam goes, I go back to my original statement. How far do you want to take this? Is it a daily driver, track warrior or both? I know some guys are going to debate this but I dont like a lot of duration on FI cars. What you can do is do what I did. Call up Comp Cams and have them grind you a custom cam. It's not much more than a "off the shelf" cam. They can go over with you what you're doing and figure out what you need.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If your gonna go with FI and want to be able to up the power later on, save yourself the trouble now and at least put forged pistons in it.

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Yeah I had already planed on that, If I don't go FI I might go with a small shot of juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    If your gonna go with FI and want to be able to up the power later on, save yourself the trouble now and at least put forged pistons in it.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Don't go juice!!!!

white
    2000 camaro Z-28

Why is that???
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    Don't go juice!!!!

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Im just not a fan! It seems like every other car has it. yes its cheap but in the end kills your motor.

I would spend 5000$ more on a turbo or procharger than a nitrous kit just because the power is always at your foot, you never have to worry about running out and loosing a race b/c your bottle didnt have enough. A turbo or procharger is not as harmful to your motor as nitrous in any way. Its been proven but guys still like to say it doesnt kill your motor any faster.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah, I'm not too big of a fan of nitrous either. Either one has the chance of blowing the motor, just FI usually doesn't hurt the motor as much and you can usually make more power with FI on an LS1 than nitrous.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

ATI Procharger setup for LS1 F-body $2500

You can find deals like this alot!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Im just not a fan! It seems like every other car has it. yes its cheap but in the end kills your motor.

I would spend 5000$ more on a turbo or procharger than a nitrous kit just because the power is always at your foot, you never have to worry about running out and loosing a race b/c your bottle didnt have enough. A turbo or procharger is not as harmful to your motor as nitrous in any way. Its been proven but guys still like to say it doesnt kill your motor any faster.
    If it has been proven; show it.

I bet for every stock bottom end hurt by nitrous I can find 2 done-in by FI. On top of that, the FI cars that let loose were tuned and most of the nitrous issues are from throwing a shot on there on there and never even CHECKING AFR, much less getting it right.

SO like I said; show your proof, because everything I have seen on the dyno and the track (as well as read) disagrees with you.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

The Juice is like Steriods it can damage your car in many ways, Ive seen a VW Jetta use it and then its transmission got toasted. An Acura integra blown headers, a golf as soon as he hit the switch you could hear all those aluminum cans denting. bad things happen with the Juice.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    If it has been proven; show it.

I bet for every stock bottom end hurt by nitrous I can find 2 done-in by FI. On top of that, the FI cars that let loose were tuned and most of the nitrous issues are from throwing a shot on there on there and never even CHECKING AFR, much less getting it right.

SO like I said; show your proof, because everything I have seen on the dyno and the track (as well as read) disagrees with you.
    Nitrous is like throwing a bomb inside your cylinders and hoping everything stays in contact!! The explosion of Nitrous is extremely harsh. VS a forced induction is not as harsh. It mixes with air/fuel already in the cylinder. For a Long Haul Juice will fail!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Nitrous is like throwing a bomb inside your cylinders and hoping everything stays in contact!! The explosion of Nitrous is extremely harsh. VS a forced induction is not as harsh. It mixes with air/fuel already in the cylinder. For a Long Haul Juice will fail!!!
    That's your "proof" ? Here's one for ya: How many cars do you think make it past 100K on the stock bottom end with nitrous? FWIW, I don't know of a sinlge FI setup on our cars with that kind of lifespan. I can't even believe I'm defending the jug; I have a turbo myself you know!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah, but after 100k worth of nitrous refills, I'd rather have FI, much cheaper, lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information