Thread: Stock Rear

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Question Stock Rear

Hey All,

I'm feeling impulsive and just plunked some money down to throw a D1SC at 8lbs on the car with 8-rib and 4.5" intercooler. I run 315 Nitto555s out back currently, car has 65,000 miles and is nice-weather driven ~2,000mi a year. Mainly a fun street-car with a handful of annual passes at the track for grins.

My question is, and I know there's some variation here, but how much time does that rear end have? If I stay away from nightmarish launches and just enjoy the higher RPM power can I get through a summer? I want to upgrade the T/C, trans and rear all at once, and it's just too much to invest along with the power upgrades in one shot.

I guess I just figured if I blew the rear, it would force my hand to replace it with a 12-bolt, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if the car sat for a while, but I'm not sure if I should even expect the rear to handle this long at all.

Any thoughts? Will I make it home from the shop? haha.
    Nick

2002 Trans Am WS6 - 520rwhp
    D1SC @ 10lbs | FLT Level V - SS3600 - ARH 1 3/4" LTs w/ Catted Y-pipe - Corsa - Koni 4/3's - UMI Adj. LCAs and Brackets - UMI 3 Pt. SFC's - UMI PHB - UMI STB - TTM's (17X9, 17X10.5) - M/T ET Streets

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Look up myws6 on streetfire. He has over 500rwhp on the stock 10 bolt. But you will never run from a dig ever again. It would certainly take autox or road racing a lot better than drag racing-still probably end up frying at least the clutch packs at some point.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you stay away from sticky tires and hard launches, you have some time with it. If you go to launching, especially with sticky tires, you can kiss it adios much sooner rather than later.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's a crap shoot. Someone on here is cutting 1.5X 60' times with the 10 bolt...others have been through several with stock power.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    It's a crap shoot. Someone on here is cutting 1.5X 60' times with the 10 bolt...others have been through several with stock power.
    Exactly it's a total crap shoot. No one can tell you definitively whether or not it will survive. Personally I'd upgrade the entire drivetrain before spending any money on FI, but sounds like it's too late for that. I'd just hate having all that power and not being able to use it properly. Once you start throwing that kind of power at your stock drivetrain everything is a ticking time bomb IMO.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the input, guys. I think you've confirmed what I was thinking, but I do feel better that with some judicious driving I can put off the drivetrain for a little while.

The car will be done the first week of September, and since I'm in Chicago that only leaves about two months of driving and I don't put a ton of miles on. I will upgrade the stall, trans and rear all at once in the Spring right before it comes out of storage based on the feedback here.

To be honest, it's probably best because this will force me to adjust to the power slowly rather than waking up one day with an entirely new car and flogging the hell out of it, losing control, etc.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If its an A4, it could last a while. Mine lasted till just a few months ago.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

black
    1997 Camaro ss

Depends on your traction and how hard you launch really. Some people run 10 bolts and have luck but dont run slicks or drop it hard from a stop. there are many ways to help them live.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Car's going in for install in just under 3 weeks, so I'm definitely getting excited. It's an A4, and the I have 315 Nitto 555s out back so it hooks as long as I feather the throttle a bit. Full throttle at launch turns things into a burnout contest as it is. Hard downshifts have me every bit as concerned as a good launch.

I'm almost positive an upgraded drivetrain is going in early Spring 2011 anyway, I just wanted to make sure I could enjoy some reasonable, spirited driving the rest of the summer before it goes back into storage. I'll probably get a September visit in to Route 66 just to see what it's trapping and not launch too hard. I'm hoping the CSC will be a little gentler on the drivetrain since the power comes on with RPMs.

Once the new trans/stall/rear goes in, then some M/Ts go on and I can really put that power to use.

Thanks again for all the input.

Thread Information