Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Squires Turbo Systems (STS)

This is a discussion on Squires Turbo Systems (STS) within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; PM PhiilyLS1 on here about the STS. He had one, spent all kinds of money trying to get it to ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

PM PhiilyLS1 on here about the STS. He had one, spent all kinds of money trying to get it to work. Had good fabricators, still a pos. Personally, I've never seen one at the track that ran worth a damn.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    PM PhiilyLS1 on here about the STS. He had one, spent all kinds of money trying to get it to work. Had good fabricators, still a pos. Personally, I've never seen one at the track that ran worth a damn.
    he is running a vortec s/c now i believe

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    he is running a vortec s/c now i believe
    Correct.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

APS no longer makes a set up for f-bodies... the set up is good but the turbo's are cheap junk that crap out from what i've read on many different sites... if anything a custom fab set up is the way to go... i think i read about the exhaust manifolds from a suburban will work on our cars for the set up...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Last I heard/read over on Tech was that APS quit even supplying the twin set-up for f-body's because of all of the issues they were having with their head units...

I don't know if anything has been done recently. I loved the set-up itself. I think if you got that set-up, but used a different turbo head unit it would be a nice set-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    APS no longer makes a set up for f-bodies... the set up is good but the turbo's are cheap junk that crap out from what i've read on many different sites... if anything a custom fab set up is the way to go... i think i read about the exhaust manifolds from a suburban will work on our cars for the set up...

Long story short... do what you want! Over the years I've heard/read and been on the recieving end of the STS criticism but to each their own. FWIW its a decent kit, yes like any kit it needs to be improved in areas but can be easily fixed w/out spending a ton.

For a quick install and decent power its great. Everyone chooses to spend their funds as they want to. It may not be logical to other but thats what makes it your project. Some would do H/C, others would do trans and rear end, others would do a full forged engine. There is a reccomended order as far as some things go but it all depends on funds and what some are willing to do.

Do what you wish, if you have ?'s do research/ask, and drive!

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

If you are dead set on the STS, then do it. But, please complete posts including pics and what changes you make for improvement, as you make them. Tell us what tune you go with, any dyno numbers, and track times. Let us know what design changes you make and what kind of fabrication the changes require. It sound like there are specific complaints about reliability (oiling), clearance problems (pipes and turbo unit), and A\R ratio to address spool up vs. lag and back pressure. There are some very interesting ideas on the "Gator" turbo group that could prove to be very helpful. Good luck with the project and if you need ideas give a shout out. Also keep track of the expenses. I have heard alot of bashing but not much in the way of what if anything was tried to address the problems other than giving up. It would be great if everything worked right out of the box but nothing seems to go that way.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Ugh...

I won't even take another STS 98-02 F-body as a tuning customer.

It you believe even HALF of what they say on their website, I would strongly suggest taking a step back and doing more research.
    I installed a couple of them for people. Allen Nelson has done more than a few himself.
    I will not touch STS with a 14' pole nor will Nelson.
    Crap product. Company will not stand behind it's products for shit.
    Quality is "iffy". Consistency is crap. Marketing is a big lie.
    Just a crappy company with a crappy product IMHO. Take it or leave it.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I installed a couple of them for people. Allen Nelson has done more than a few himself.
    I will not touch STS with a 14' pole nor will Nelson.
    Crap product. Company will not stand behind it's products for shit.
    Quality is "iffy". Consistency is crap. Marketing is a big lie.
    Just a crappy company with a crappy product IMHO. Take it or leave it.
    Hey Sarge, that's not your opinion, it's your experience, and it's mine as well.

I sell very few parts, so for the most of what is out there, I can speak objectively.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Got that shit right. I do not know how in the hell they are still in business.
    Total garbage. Thing I do not understand Frost is this.....why even buy a POS STS? There are so many proven great FI products available.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Got that shit right. I do not know how in the hell they are still in business.
    Total garbage. Thing I do not understand Frost is this.....why even buy a POS STS? There are so many proven great FI products available.
    I am sure you will be better off with spraying a car and getting better numbers than with a sts!!

EDIT: And it is much cheaper!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information