Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Squires Turbo Systems (STS)

This is a discussion on Squires Turbo Systems (STS) within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I've had STS for years now and heres my take. Kits are decent, easy to install, and when tuned properly ...

I've had STS for years now and heres my take.

Kits are decent, easy to install, and when tuned properly put deccent #s down.

But as with any kit you have to make the proper preparations for upgrades like, fuel pump, injectors, intercooler/meth or both. With STS its highly reccomended to keep stock manifolds and wrap hot side piping to help with spool.

The STS PCV system is crap so a catch can setup is reccomended.
    As far as the oiling system goes I've only had one issue with it and that was my fault due to a loose electrical connection but other have had issues.

This site and other LSX sites have a ton of info that you may want to check out to help make your decision.

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

thanks for info.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ok this is somthing thats rearly bugging me about everyone commeting on STS kits/rear mounts and LAG. OK heres the thing... how many of you guys can barly keep your tires from spinning when your on the street or track? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU and DONT LIE. You know you have at one time or another with NO POWER ADDERS. Now in a 4 cyclinder lag is a problem cause they have no nuts to begin with. Lag can be a friend if used correctly. In a higher powered V8 car, Lag can help with traction. Whats the point of having 800hp at 900rpm if all of it is wasted in tiresmoke? Yeah its nice but your ETs are gonna be SHIT regardless of your suspention setup. So this Lag thing, unless your looking at hishest possible PEAK HP, GET OVER IT! Yes the rear mounts are gonna have more lag then front mout. WHATEVER. If you stick ginormous turbos up front you get lag too. Rear mounts use different sizes to help compensate for the cooler opereation temps. So all you "OO it has to lag horribly" stop it. An ls1 starts life with 300+ hp. THats plenty to get the tires spinning. Then when a power adder is installed (like a turbo) that multiplys to the point of overwelming the stock suspention and tires. Thus adding stronger and better equipment. Unless your like tire smoke on a constant basis a small amount of lag can be usefull. You just need to harness it correctly to your vehicle. OH and if you have a high stall in autosetups.... hmmm dont you have to rev higher anyway to get moving? yeah... that builds boost doesnt it... mmm amazing. so lag is then reduced ANYWAY!

Now im no way saying that the STS kit itself is perfect, it leaves alot of thing to be improved on, and judging by the years of them improving pieces of there kit of the years, it looks lik ethey are slowly listen to their customers. Yes it needs fueling, oiling, and other crap that can fail prematurly. As for the tuning aspect dont know, not my forte, but a good tuner im sure can get these to run safely at mild amounts of boost (5-7lbs of boost) properly installed.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-15-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Now im no way saying that the STS kit itself is perfect
    Good cause it's actually a POS.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Good cause it's actually a POS.
    Yea I could find the 3 to 5 grand being spent in other area's than an sts, suspension tranny and rear.

NAVY BLUE
    2002 FIREHAWK

Ok this is somthing thats rearly bugging me about everyone commeting on STS kits/rear mounts and LAG. OK heres the thing... how many of you guys can barly keep your tires from spinning when your on the street or track? EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU and DONT LIE. You know you have at one time or another with NO POWER ADDERS. Now in a 4 cyclinder lag is a problem cause they have no nuts to begin with. Lag can be a friend if used correctly. In a higher powered V8 car, Lag can help with traction. Whats the point of having 800hp at 900rpm if all of it is wasted in tiresmoke? Yeah its nice but your ETs are gonna be SHIT regardless of your suspention setup. So this Lag thing, unless your looking at hishest possible PEAK HP, GET OVER IT! Yes the rear mounts are gonna have more lag then front mout. WHATEVER. If you stick ginormous turbos up front you get lag too. Rear mounts use different sizes to help compensate for the cooler opereation temps. So all you "OO it has to lag horribly" stop it. An ls1 starts life with 300+ hp. THats plenty to get the tires spinning. Then when a power adder is installed (like a turbo) that multiplys to the point of overwelming the stock suspention and tires. Thus adding stronger and better equipment. Unless your like tire smoke on a constant basis a small amount of lag can be usefull. You just need to harness it correctly to your vehicle. OH and if you have a high stall in autosetups.... hmmm dont you have to rev higher anyway to get moving? yeah... that builds boost doesnt it... mmm amazing. so lag is then reduced ANYWAY!

Now im no way saying that the STS kit itself is perfect, it leaves alot of thing to be improved on, and judging by the years of them improving pieces of there kit of the years, it looks lik ethey are slowly listen to their customers. Yes it needs fueling, oiling, and other crap that can fail prematurly. As for the tuning aspect dont know, not my forte, but a good tuner im sure can get these to run safely at mild amounts of boost (5-7lbs of boost) properly installed.
    Thanks Joshua. I'm leaning toward the STS, but will get it professionally installed if I do it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Actually turbo's, rear mount or front, have little to no lag from everything I've read about them.

The point here is that STS, although a rear mount, is a less than desirable turbo system.

Difficult to tune, less than desirable reliability....

Since it sits in the back, and low, it's EASILY able to get f'd up by road debris, or even a speed bump.

The fact that you can actually SEE the turbo from the ass end of the car is a HUGE turn-off for me. I wonder how easy it is to crawl under the car and just steal it? Probably not too hard at all.

I've read NOTHING but bad shit about the system, EVERYWHERE. This info has come from people that have owned them. The negative feedback is superior over the positive.

There's a reason why you don't see many of them installed on LS1's and it's not turbo lag.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 01-16-2011 at 07:26 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Lag is only one part. A propper set up will not lag no way around that. Besides that. Who says the boost is full instantly on a propper set up? A stall is a stall..it isn't like it takes 5 seconds to get moving. It flashes..so it is damn near instant. If one of the best lsx tuners in the world tells you he will not accept a sts customer again..tells you a lot. They have a bad wrap for a reason.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I've listed my complaints many times here. The kits attract noobs because they look easy and cheap. They only look cheap because they don't include tons of needed parts (waste gate, blowoff, intercooler, etc). On top of that, their couplers tear, the PCV system is totally unusable, they include worm instead of t-bolt clamps for the couplers, make crazy claims of not needing an intercooler, sell a majorly expensive methanol kit that is the bottom of the barrel for methanol injection, have oil issues and have the return into the valvecover instead of the pan, and they include turbos with overly tight A/Rs to make lag seem minimal but they choke flow up top and put a lot of back pressure against the engine. There are more gripes to make. Worse of all, once you get it on there and finally working, you could have had a very premium custom front mount system. I have had a few customers with the twin STS rear mount vette system that, besides chasing tons of leaks, worked much better. Two of them still moved on the the TTiX setup (front mount twin kits for C5) and would never look back.

Some of the other STS issues that aren't listed here will be minimized by the use of the stalled auto; that will work with the system leaps and bounds better than a six speed.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Been their done that, putting turbo WHERE IT BELONGS! i happen to have a video of a 40mph roll and how long it takes to pin that needle to 10lbs with no exhaust leaks or charge leaks.

I will love to compare them when this new setup is rolling.

Red
    98 Trans Am

N E way people.. back to the topic at hand
    alright yes the STS system is a starter kit to the FI world. yeah its not the best but a few guys have got it to work well. SO how about we get that info out instead of turning sts systems into the plague.

ok so far ive gathered that a base sts kit needs a few up grades to get it to work semi decently.
    So far Injectors in the 43-60 range, fuel pump, oil pump, intercooler, PCV (maybe with catchcan), check valves, meth for anything higher than 4-5psi of boost, and of course a decent conservative tune going for a broad torqu curve, not peak power. also, if you can manage to have some of the pipes welded to reduce the risk of boost leak on both intake and exhaust. and a stall is very important at this point since lag can be regulated better. and even if your an auto, get a BOV if you dont already. and a better turbo. from what ive read get anything over the T60 since its kinda restrictive from the get go. Ive read that T70s and T72s do well, add some lag but the power comes on strong and more reliable.

any thing else that i missed? could use this info since im getting an STS system (modified). And dont give me that "put it in the front" BS. Im doing an rear mount. end of that discussion.
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 01-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'm going to PM you an email I got from an STS owner this AM.

N E way people.. back to the topic at hand
    alright yes the STS system is a starter kit to the FI world. yeah its not the best but a few guys have got it to work well. SO how about we get that info out instead of turning sts systems into the plague.

ok so far ive gathered that a base sts kit needs a few up grades to get it to work semi decently.
    So far Injectors in the 43-60 range, fuel pump, oil pump, intercooler, PCV (maybe with catchcan), check valves, meth for anything higher than 4-5psi of boost, and of course a decent conservative tune going for a broad torqu curve, not peak power. also, if you can manage to have some of the pipes welded to reduce the risk of boost leak on both intake and exhaust. and a stall is very important at this point since lag can be regulated better. and even if your an auto, get a BOV if you dont already. and a better turbo. from what ive read get anything over the T60 since its kinda restrictive from the get go. Ive read that T70s and T72s do well, add some lag but the power comes on strong and more reliable.

any thing else that i missed? could use this info since im getting an STS system (modified). And dont give me that "put it in the front" BS. Im doing an rear mount. end of that discussion.
    Do what you want it's your money but why waste it on a system that has so many issues on top of not being efficient? You can polish a turd all day long but all you have at the end of the day is a shiny piece of shit.

Red
    98 Trans Am

yes its my money, and if i HAD 6-7000 id buy a twin APS system and be down with it but i dont. I have a little bit to play with but not that much. found a kit for 2000 so im going with that. gonna polish my turd until its the shinest POS on the block
    thanks for the contribution. moving on.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

yes its my money, and if i HAD 6-7000 id buy a twin APS system and be down with it but i dont. I have a little bit to play with but not that much. found a kit for 2000 so im going with that. gonna polish my turd until its the shinest POS on the block
    thanks for the contribution. moving on.
    APS head units are about as good as the STS ones.

Major issues from China vendors with head units cracking.

You don't do much research eh?

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

They never do it's why every person who thinks STS is a budget/cheap FI alternative posts this nonsense. Budget FI is an oxymoron it doesn't exist unless you have parts already, connections, real fabrications skills, etc...I'm guessing this guy has none of these or he wouldn't be asking how to fix this kit so and I quote his own words "to get it to work semi decently". I don't know about you but if i'm going to plunk down my hard earned cash I want it to work great not semi decently. If you are going to do FI better have on the north of 6-7k to do it right.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

um yeah, ive read that too but what kind of power were these guys going for? Never really was too serious about buying an APS. Entirely too much money for just a DD.
    Ive been doing my research for turbocharging with rear mount in mind. ive been getting all supporting mods that would support either FRONT or REAR cause you gotta get em to get your car up to speed to handle boost, even modest boost like 5psi.
    I myself am a metalworker by through the army and have done plenty of other none army fabrication so this little rear mount set up is EASY! you can do anything with metal if you know how.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

um yeah, ive read that too but what kind of power were these guys going for? Never really was too serious about buying an APS. Entirely too much money for just a DD.
    Ive been doing my research for turbocharging with rear mount in mind. ive been getting all supporting mods that would support either FRONT or REAR cause you gotta get em to get your car up to speed to handle boost, even modest boost like 5psi.
    I myself am a metalworker by through the army and have done plenty of other none army fabrication so this little rear mount set up is EASY! you can do anything with metal if you know how.
    Last I heard/read over on Tech was that APS quit even supplying the twin set-up for f-body's because of all of the issues they were having with their head units...

I don't know if anything has been done recently. I loved the set-up itself. I think if you got that set-up, but used a different turbo head unit it would be a nice set-up.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i love APS' setup..id love to find one used..and get the LG turbos that is one of my dreams...a ls3 with that setup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information