Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Show your STS turbo systems

This is a discussion on Show your STS turbo systems within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Rear mounts, yes. STS, no. Same reason people don't use APS turbos...and they are front mount....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Rear mounts, yes. STS, no. Same reason people don't use APS turbos...and they are front mount.
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    98 Trans Am

for those that want a rear mounted turbo, the sts is a good starting point and then upgrade the things that need to be fixed. The STS system by itself sucks for the most part BUT with the right parts it can be customised into a badass system.
    The only thing wrong with it is the turbos too small, oil pumps too weak, PVC correction and yes you need an intercooler. all of which everyone upgrades on any turbo build they do.
    the funny thing too is that those that went with LT headers hamstringed themselves before they ever started. the stock maifolds have be reported to be the best to retain the more heat in the exhaust stream. the next best thing is to wrap the exhaust. also the general concensus for turbo sizes tend to be T72 to T76 with .81 AR to help keep spool times up. the irony of the rear mounted turbos is that the more STOCK you support mods are, the better it runs lol for those of us with stalled autos and 2.73 rear gears our spool times are actually better. i mean come on, a guy had an 88mm turbo out back with 2.75 rear gears and ran 10!! oh course he had upgraded things but still. its a rear mounted turbo running 10s.

As for the APS, not only is that system compicated, its invasive as hell. plus it has one hell of a dent in the old wallet when it was still for sale, and with the high exhaust heat (frontmount inherent issue) coupled by small cheap chinese turbos, the turbos have been known to crack and cause catastrophic failure. and with this complicated of a system any kind of turbo failure would be expensive and time comsuming as hell to fix.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yep. Main problem with APS is their head units were cracking left and right after they ventured off and started making them overseas. Hence why they no longer make a kit for the f-body. Unless they started to again.

Otherwise, their set-up was badass.

Red
    98 Trans Am

when i first saw the aps system they were bad ass. If they stuck in some decent quailty turbos in there they would have gone far. i mean come on the kit cost over $9,000. at least they could have stuck some decent turbos in there lol I like the system but damn, im not ready to tear my whole front end up to stick it in there.
    I do like that new twin turbo kit thats coming out that keeps most of everything in place and you get there custom K-member that litteraly has part of the piping intergrated into the k-member. its pretty badass. really good use of spacing. the only thing that i wonder about is the heating and cooling cycles it would produce and how long the k-member would hold its structural integrady before it eventualy cracked. but still its pretty damn cool.

if sts would sell everything all at once to keep the kit up to par it wouldnt get the such a bad wrap it has now. theres just too many fail storys that are mostly about disappointment and frustration. From what it seems comes from people that expected it to function like a front mounted turbo and/or they had other builds that yielded more results and now have this kit and it was subparred from the beginning. havnt heard too many kill storys though. procharger has that house lol but thats another story lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, there's no denying FI is expensive. I have over 9K in my Procharger set-up just in parts. I probably could have saved a little by piecing together the piping and going with a different FMIC, but probably not much with everything I bought. I ended being out a few hundred more for custom intake fabrication off the head unit.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Subscribed to see some turbo stuff...that I havent seen much of yet.
    2000 Camaro Z28 6 speed/cammed/hardtop
    Till the mother fuckin wheels fall off...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

RK WS6 on here has a turbo on his car and had awesome results. It's a front turbo set-up though. He has a thread in the FI section.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've seen plenty of turbo stuff on the site, I just meant in this thread lol. I'm going to be doing a front mount on my car in the near future.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well if i get some off my stuff in the mail soon, i could actually get my build going here. its only been 2 years and couting lol been busy working for our great us army lol just moved back to el paso recently. so im piecing everything faster. got alot of stuff pieced together. got all my main components, turbo, fuel system, and oil system. just waiting on a few little pieces here and there to put it all together. amazing how many little fitting you have to piece together lol but thats the whole fun in this hobby, the chase recently got a nice big 31x13x3 EMUSA intercooler. they accidently sent me a twin turbo intercooler instead of a regular one so i have to wait but they are sending me my replacement free of charge. the intercooler i got sent was realy nice looking actually.
    Got my nice and pretty T76 ON3 turbo sitting in my gargae begging me to put it in my car lol
    biggest thing now are the electornics.. gauges specifically also sourcing out 317 heads and a 224-228 sized cams to help with lag issues

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information