Black
    2000 Trans Am

Rebuilding Used Turbo

I was looking at purchasing some turbo(s) for my 2000 TA. I found some used ones that need rebuilt. I think I could get the turbos for around $500. They are garrett T3/T4 turbos and was wondering if anyone had an idea of how much it would cost to get them rebuilt. Was looking to gain about or up to around 150hp out of the set up. Im sure that the drivetrain would be able to support the increase. Of course I would run an intercooler with them. Would this be the most cost affective/easiest mechanical way to pick up that kind of power other than nos? I was also looking into the gas mileage issue. Was also looking at a basic rebuild of the ls1, like new pistons, rings. lifters etc., since the car has +100,000 miles on it. I was thinking of staying close to the stock configuration just with (hopefully) more durable longer lasting higher performance aftermarket parts. Do you guys have any ideas? What do you guys think, is this agood idea or a bad one?

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

$500 for turbos that need rebuilding is a bit high.......heck you can get a new one for just a little over that.......shop around some........a T4 will be a little higher but I think you may be surprised......anyone is going to charge you about $150 to $250 to rebuild the thing so you may as well get a new one.....personally....unless you could pick the used ones up cheap like $200.....it isn't worth it...

Thread Information