Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Rear Turbos... I know, but it was coming anyway :)

This is a discussion on Rear Turbos... I know, but it was coming anyway :) within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Have you measured the clearance with 2 people in the car? I would, then try to get at least about ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Have you measured the clearance with 2 people in the car? I would, then try to get at least about 3/4 of a pop can clearance. Not sure where you are now. It's difficult to see from the pictures an actual height off the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I forgot, but what springs do you have on your car?

Red
    98 Trans Am

right now i have Vogtland 1.25" lowering springs (very simular to stanos springs) Right now ive got about half a coke can clearance directly under the car lol the turbo is abou 3/4 of a can lol ill get some pictures of that later

Red
    98 Trans Am

And tunning has commenced.... shooting for about 500ish but anything over that will be nice
    10lbs spring is in, so id image with the intercooler, piping, and any boost lose due to any leaking (hope not) 7-8psi will probably be the visual boost the motor will see. ill later get a turbosmart manual boost controller to up it to a true 10psi.
    60lbs injectors are in and GM 2BAR map is in.
    So now the waiting game. car will be Speed Density tuned with 2 bar operating system with HP tuners on a Dynojet.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    right now i have Vogtland 1.25" lowering springs (very simular to stanos springs) Right now ive got about half a coke can clearance directly under the car lol the turbo is abou 3/4 of a can lol ill get some pictures of that later
    Is that clearance without anyone in the car?

Red
    98 Trans Am

without, but im thinking of wither putting in the stock rears or a sprign spacer.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have stock OEM springs for sale
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol thanks but i still got my stockers. i have all my OEM parts that ive taken off the car for "just in case" moments. never know if a parts gonna break or like now, gonna have to substitute the rear springs. im still wondering if i can find a spacer that can go in between the isolator and the spring its self to give me about an 1" worth of clearance shile still not jacking up my suspention geometry too much.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well crap.... cars half way tuned. its tuned to run in SD and with the 60lbs injectors and 2bar map but cars not building any boost. like not even 1psi! so now the boost leak hunt starts that and i need to clean up an oil leak issue in the charge pipe its leaking like a beotch. got oil coming out by the intercooler and BOV to name a couple plus now i got to replace a pipe since i crushed it with the tbolt clamp
    car runs great outta boost but now i gotta find the leaks. gonna check the wastegate too to make sure i didnt pinch the diaphram when i switched the springs

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

How much was the tune?

White
    '10 ZR1

Hopefully you find your issues and can get it tuned.

Post a vid of the tune if you can!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, post a vid. I want to hear this beast!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    How much was the tune?
    ug, dude you dont wanna know lol
    $200 for 2 extra HP tuner credits, then $100 for the GM 2 bar sensor that i had to buy again casue the other ones nipple broke, and then $700 for 2 bar lamda custom operating system for Speed Density tune to run without MAF... yeah that sucked. i was initialy quoted $500... that quickly jumped up once i got there and got what i needed done tot he car.... initial dyno tunes are expensive.
    So in total the tune was about $1000

Red
    98 Trans Am

so i think i fixed my none boosting issues lol
    the big culprit is that a t bolt clamp that was too large was used on a coupler and wasnt tight enought to hold boost past 0psi lol
    another was a bent ppie form a too small of a tbolt clamp. :/
    then another was a loose coupler and clamp on the intercooler

so yeah... shit works its way loose when your trying to test crap.
    on a positive note, while replacing a pipe, i actually reworked the pipes under the front of the car and gained some cleanrance and looks cleaniner too

I then patched up some holes in the cats that were leaking out presious pressure to the turbo and then reworked the wrap so that its double wrapped on certian areas and then soaked it in silicon spray and then heat sysled it a few times. gonna high heat spray it later once the cars up and running with out tungin issues. gonna test out boosting capibilitys on the highway later to see if i build even 1psi lol

hopfully i can get this thing boosted finally and then get the meth system figured out... stupid AEM controller giing me grief

i then proceeded to fix my oil issue which consisted off alittle too much pre pump return hose (cut about 6-7") and striahgtened the return path and then went form .080 to .040 restrictor. Also noticed that i got alittle more hot oil pressure at idle now form this.

Red
    98 Trans Am

before

and a very much better after

I also did some adjusting... well i jacked the turbo op and then zip stripped the intake side of the turbo to the old exhaust hanger lol gained alot of clearance. im gonna see if i can get a stainless steel version on the intake side so i can have a hook weled on it to help support the turbo better

the oil return looks so much better now now since its higher i have to take out some more pre-pump return hose lol im thinking im gonna run it under the axle now but not completly sure. that or run it striaght over the top of the axle. im also looking into a stronger pump. a turbowerks is definitly one of my to do list

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well i finally did a boost leak test on the charge side and low and behold i found a couple of leaks. the BOV mounting flange was a big one. i could hear that damn thing all the way form the back of the car lol i tighened it down and its much better. i also had a smaller leak out of a coupler that had a failing clamp so i fixed that too.

I also adjusted the BOV pressure spring. i tightened it up so that its not giving as much at idle so that its not wide open when im idling. i havnt got to test that theory yet to make sure its still release when i let up off the throttle but im sure it will.

I also changed the boost reference signal to the compressor housing. id figure it might help with initial boosting. i might be boosting lower but at least the wastegate will be much more responsive and its only seeing boost instead of a long vacuum. i still have the long reference line to see if that is still needed, but its staying at the compressor unless i change somthing else.

i also ran the pre pump oil return line under the axle but over the sway bar. i figure this is a slightly straighter path without the huge hump over the axle. it still goes up about 5 " or so but then goes back down and then slightly up into the pump. but its much straghter compared to before lol
    I also noticed that i dont have oil going into the charge piping side anymore. i still have oil come out of the exhaust side though :/ but im thinking thats from when the cars sitting for a bit and the return line might be letting some of the oil back in at night. im thinking of putting a check valve on the return side.

well, i might be able to sneak into the dyno and get a final tune on it finally! would be nice. gotta talk the wife into letting me today lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

well some updates,
    After switching a BOV for testing, i tighted it down so it doesnt open at all lol just to see if it holds boost. it did lol. ive adjusted the BOV so that it actually opens and i stop getting that "shuu shuu shuu..." sound after i let go of the throttle quickly.

i installed a NSX manual boost controller and low and behold I GOT BOOST!!!!! lol saw 4psi on the low side of it. so heres what im thinking, alothough im sure i have some leaks still but not hemorging like before, im thinking that the wastgate spring wasnt holding enough and needed some extra umph lol the controller is helping to keep the gate closed longer.
    Iv also noticed that when i rev the motor in idle, i actaully see the vac go from -12ish to -5ish. so im actually getting precharge spool so its holding!!! lol
    also got some tbolt clamps to replace some temp worm gear clamps that i had to use to replace some improper size clamps that where causing charge side leaks.

so, if i can dial in the boost controller and BOV by firday, i might beable to get a final tune donw, and to get that damn SES light off. tuner needs to turn the MAF off completly.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

So much plumbing on a setup like this...

Looking forward to seeing the numbers once the bugs are ironed out.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well, looks like im still plagued but boost leaks, im thinking on the exhaust side. however, even with boost leaks and not boosting much past 4psi, I managed 345RWHP on one run with 3ish PSI. so its getting there, just gotta iron out these damn leaks and should be very capible. didnt get a reading with 5psi flowing, shuold have been a strong 380ish RWHP with 5psi but didnt get a number from the dyno guy on that one

Red
    98 Trans Am

so some interesting tid bits today:
    i took the car in to have the cats removed and replaced with OBX resonators...

Found a couple issues with the cats. the passenger side cat was partially clogged...
    the drivers side cat was EMPTY!!!

Car sounds and feels soo much better. gotta take the car back to touch up a couple welds on the drivers side so still no boost, but im getting it fixed. probably gotta get it fixed next friday.

Also reclocked the turbo since the tuning shop bumped it on the rack and messed up the alignment of the turbo :/ but nothing too bad. just lost a clamp thursday when i hit a bump that i driven before and noticed i didnt have any boost again lol all better now though.
    now just got to get the exhaust finished up.

Red
    98 Trans Am

wow, haven't been on here in awhile lol
    well here some updates,
    I decided to change the route of the inlet piping to gain some ground clearance.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information