red
    00 z28

pulley size and max boost

i have a 00 z28 with a centrifugal vortech sc running about 5 lbs of boost. the pulley i have on it right now is 3.70" and i make 5 lbs of boost max. what is a good range of boost for me to run in the stock ls1 and how much will the pulley size affect boost? i have an upgraded fuel pump and a 2800 stall, if that matters but the rest is stock. i had someone tell me that a smaller pulley may just make it boost up faster and not go over what it makes now, is that true? sorry im a fill me in... lol

I don't know what you can run on a stock ls1 because I don't have that much experience with them. All I can say is a smaller pulley will create more boost.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am M6

I've read that the most that people have had success with is ~8lbs on a stock bottem end, but with a built bottem end and built motor you could obviously run more.

red
    00 z28

well i realize that the smaller pulley will make more boost, but i dont want to waste the money on just any size if someone on here knows how much to go down, they decrease very little and i dont want to get one that boosts too much, but just right at 7-8 lbs

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by boosted z View Post
    well i realize that the smaller pulley will make more boost, but i dont want to waste the money on just any size if someone on here knows how much to go down, they decrease very little and i dont want to get one that boosts too much, but just right at 7-8 lbs
    Contact Vortech or a Dealer and they will tell you what you need. Don't go over 8#

Red w/stripes
    02 Camaro SS 35th Anniv.

I have a procharger kit and I'm running 9lbs on mine. I have a stock botom end with a small cam.

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

i have a 00 z28 with a centrifugal vortech sc running about 5 lbs of boost. the pulley i have on it right now is 3.70" and i make 5 lbs of boost max. what is a good range of boost for me to run in the stock ls1 and how much will the pulley size affect boost? i have an upgraded fuel pump and a 2800 stall, if that matters but the rest is stock. i had someone tell me that a smaller pulley may just make it boost up faster and not go over what it makes now, is that true? sorry im a fill me in... lol
    Part number 4GK038-312 is a 3.12" dia. and should give the desired boost you are looking for (7-8 psi). It is the pulley that comes on the kit with the aftercooler. WHICH BRINGS UP ANOTHER POINT. It doesn't sound like you have the aftercooler (I don't either). Most people will recommend that you go with an aftercooler or meth/alky injection if you increase the boost over what you currently produce. At the very least, put a wide band O2 unit on the car to make sure you don't run too lean. I've heard the LS1 doesn't take too kindly to detonation. Be carefull without getting a good tune. I'm not a huge fan of the "tune in a box" that came with my kit.

Hope that helps. Good luck
    Drag racing...just another numbers game.

Vortech Super Charger, 9" w/4.11, 3200 Stall, BMR SFC, BMR TracPak, !MAF screen, 160 T-Stat.

red
    00 z28

"Most people will recommend that you go with an aftercooler or meth/alky injection if you increase the boost over what you currently produce"
    thanks great info, where might i find a kit like that?

Drag racing is a disease! RacerBob's Avatar

Maroon
    2000 Z28

"Most people will recommend that you go with an aftercooler or meth/alky injection if you increase the boost over what you currently produce"
    http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...ml?category=13

Vortech sells an upgrade kit with the aftercooler. You'll have to call them for details. If I remember correctly, it is pricey.

I will be getting the digital injection kit that mounts in the trunk.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

Snow Performance. Convert to E-85 and skip the meth injection.
    I too have a stock bottom end but I run Heads, cam, full exaust, Fast intake, and 12 PSI of boost from a Procharger D1SC w/intercoolers. Combo, tune, and driving habits all effect how long your motor will hold. Our motors are not designed to handle any boost what so ever. So it is a crap shoot. Make sure your tune is spot on. If it's not, than a catastophic failure is imminent. Good luck.

Thread Information