Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

procharger vs ststurbo

This is a discussion on procharger vs ststurbo within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; NITROUS SOLVES ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS...

black
    02 CAMARO SS

Nos

NITROUS SOLVES ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

hahahahaha, been thinking about it!

so there is a way to stop the belt slippage problem with the procharger? and why isn't there a way to stop the filter from getting so dirty with the sts. Don't they make a sheild or something to keep excess dirt from getting into it?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post

so there is a way to stop the belt slippage problem with the procharger? and why isn't there a way to stop the filter from getting so dirty with the sts. Don't they make a sheild or something to keep excess dirt from getting into it?
    procharger vs ststurbo

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

how much did your procharger setup cost?

black
    02 CAMARO SS

if you have a l6-rib you can upgrade it to a 8-rib setup---and i've seen a super charger with a filter of some sort but don't know if he bought it or its custom or not

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

how much did your procharger setup cost?
    I got the orginal system on sale for $4000

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

man you must forgot! hahaha I'm in college, give me maybe a year or 2 I could save up

White
    '10 ZR1

man you must forgot! hahaha I'm in college, give me maybe a year or 2 I could save up
    Hey, you're the one who started the thread in the first place! I think my mind is made up for you already..........go nitrous.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

hahaha, actually I have it all planned out... I plan to build up the engine first which includes full exhaust(which will dissappear IF I do turbo), heads, cams, pistons, and the whole 9yards. Then I plan on going with forced induction on top of all of that. but in the mean time I may go with nos. when it comes to nos I've just got to learn how to use it.

black
    99 Z28

ok...so what if you take all variables and engine build-ups and mods out of the equation: This is what most of us want to know since everyone's setup is going to be different and subjective + you can always upgrade and mod.

STOCK LS1 w/ procharger($6000) VS. STOCK LS1 w/ STS kit($3995)

Which makes more power now?
    IMO= you have to dump more $ into the procharger to get the power you want right away. It's noisy=belt tensioner which is expensive + 8 Rib belt + 7lb.+ pulley.(My friend experienced this. When he installed the procharger, at first it was not impressive at all. My stock motor w/ a 100NOS shot pulled better. After he installed all of the parts listed^ he gained a significant amount of power=way better.
    STS=(as far as I know) bolt it up=power. Thoughts?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    ok...so what if you take all variables and engine build-ups and mods out of the equation: This is what most of us want to know since everyone's setup is going to be different and subjective + you can always upgrade and mod.

STOCK LS1 w/ procharger($6000) VS. STOCK LS1 w/ STS kit($3995)

Which makes more power now?
    IMO= you have to dump more $ into the procharger to get the power you want right away. It's noisy=belt tensioner which is expensive + 8 Rib belt + 7lb.+ pulley.(My friend experienced this. When he installed the procharger, at first it was not impressive at all. My stock motor w/ a 100NOS shot pulled better. After he installed all of the parts listed^ he gained a significant amount of power=way better.
    STS=(as far as I know) bolt it up=power. Thoughts?
    Are those prices comparing apples to apples? Meaning, fuel systems upgrades and the like? Do the prices you just listed include EVERYTHING needed to make both systems work? What boost levels do each system have?

There is no way you'd outrun my ProCharged bird with a 100 shot of nitrous.

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Are those prices comparing apples to apples? Meaning, fuel systems upgrades and the like? Do the prices you just listed include EVERYTHING needed to make both systems work? What boost levels do each system have?

There is no way you'd outrun my ProCharged bird with a 100 shot of nitrous.
    for the birds: that all depends on your mods, suspension, tires, driving, launch...it is all variable; just because you have procharger does not mean you can drive! I am not saying that my car makes more power either, I was comparing a bolt on standard procharger to my car which IMO total waste of $$$ unless like I said you dump another $1000 into it buying the bigger pulley and tensioner which would be $7000 in all. I think if I was gonna spend $7000 I would go turbo and build a motor. The procharger just isn't as practical as people make it out to be. The boost levels are @ 5lbs. Upgrades are available of course. I am not sure of the fuel upgrades on the STS; I think you have to purchase that seperatley, but it is still going to be cheaper than the procharger setup. I like the procharger, do not get me wrong here, I am simply trying to get the practicality of spending $7000(full setup 8+lbs) on the procharger when you can spend appr. $5000(8 lbs.) and have the same power. i guess it is really in opinion and personal preference because they are both good designs.
    Oh and bring that bird to Memphis Motorsports Park and we can see who would win in our little experiment!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

for the birds: that all depends on your mods, suspension, tires, driving, launch...it is all variable; just because you have procharger does not mean you can drive! I am not saying that my car makes more power either, I was comparing a bolt on standard procharger to my car which IMO total waste of $$$ unless like I said you dump another $1000 into it buying the bigger pulley and tensioner which would be $7000 in all. I think if I was gonna spend $7000 I would go turbo and build a motor. The procharger just isn't as practical as people make it out to be. The boost levels are @ 5lbs. Upgrades are available of course. I am not sure of the fuel upgrades on the STS; I think you have to purchase that seperatley, but it is still going to be cheaper than the procharger setup. I like the procharger, do not get me wrong here, I am simply trying to get the practicality of spending $7000(full setup 8+lbs) on the procharger when you can spend appr. $5000(8 lbs.) and have the same power. i guess it is really in opinion and personal preference because they are both good designs.
    Oh and bring that bird to Memphis Motorsports Park and we can see who would win in our little experiment!
    heyyy, I've been out there. I'm from an hour and a half away in MO Too!

Thanks guys for the great discussion... keep it up, I'm learning! So far I think my assumption on building an engine first is a good idea...

White
    '10 ZR1

The only way I'd do that is if it was a weekend party involved. I'm not driving all the way to Memphis just to race you and come home

So, you're saying that your only mod is a 100 shot? I don't believe ya pal.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information