Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Procharger Troubleshooting (HELP!)

I'm new to the site and this is my first post so hello everyone. I have an 02 WS6 with a few bolt-ons and a Loudmouth cat-back system. I'm trying to install a Procharger (p-1sc, 7psi kit) and I'm having some problems. First of all the install was pretty straight forward however once my baby was running it only makes about 2.5 psi boost out of the blocks. Its interesting to note that it makes 3-4 psi once you get to 2nd gear, and 5psi when you get in third. Yeah I know, weird considering boost depends on impeller speed which is dependent on engine speed. It should be a consisted boost no matter what the speed of the vehicle. I've run every diagnostic i can think of to make sure the boost number are correct. Noting also that ATI sent me a belt that was too small at first...now my question is could this behavior be caused by having the wrong sized pulleys or is my procharger just jacked up?

Thanks in advance : )

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

What size blower pulley?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

welcome to Ls1

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DSWitherow View Post
    I'm new to the site and this is my first post so hello everyone. I have an 02 WS6 with a few bolt-ons and a Loudmouth cat-back system. I'm trying to install a Procharger (p-1sc, 7psi kit) and I'm having some problems. First of all the install was pretty straight forward however once my baby was running it only makes about 2.5 psi boost out of the blocks. Its interesting to note that it makes 3-4 psi once you get to 2nd gear, and 5psi when you get in third. Yeah I know, weird considering boost depends on impeller speed which is dependent on engine speed. It should be a consisted boost no matter what the speed of the vehicle. I've run every diagnostic i can think of to make sure the boost number are correct. Noting also that ATI sent me a belt that was too small at first...now my question is could this behavior be caused by having the wrong sized pulleys or is my procharger just jacked up?

Thanks in advance : )
    Sounds like the belt might be slipping. In the higher gears the RPM's don't increase as quickly, hence the higher boost numbers. Just a thought.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I had a few problems when I had my blower kit (D1 though). Tighten the shit out of the belt and look for belt dust that would indicate it slipping a lot. You could also try getting a better belt. I used a Goodyear Gatorback belt and it seemed to slip less.

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like the belt might be slipping. In the higher gears the RPM's don't increase as quickly, hence the higher boost numbers. Just a thought.
    thats exactly right. My guess would be you have a leak in your piping someplace and you'll need to do a boost leak test to find it.

Black

at first the belt was indeed slipping but i have tightened the crap out of it and i'm sure its not slipping (although i'm gonna look into that Gatorback). as for leaks, that was my first thought as well and there aren't any. i agree on the rationale that in higher gears you should have somewhat higher boost numbers, but the increase i'm seeing is much more dramatic than should be expected for that reason (especially considering a 7psi kit is only topping out at 5psi). i'll get back soon with the diameter of the blower pulley. i rode in a mustang with a 7psi ATI kit (p-1sc) and it got the full 7psi in each gear, and as bad as i hate to say it...that thing will GET DOWN! i'm leaning now on the procharger being bad, can a pulley even make that significant of a difference?

Black

The pulley sure can make the difference. That is how you change your boost level. If it is too large, you won't make as much boost.

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

Quote Originally Posted by DSWitherow View Post
    at first the belt was indeed slipping but i have tightened the crap out of it and i'm sure its not slipping (although i'm gonna look into that Gatorback). as for leaks, that was my first thought as well and there aren't any. i agree on the rationale that in higher gears you should have somewhat higher boost numbers, but the increase i'm seeing is much more dramatic than should be expected for that reason (especially considering a 7psi kit is only topping out at 5psi). i'll get back soon with the diameter of the blower pulley. i rode in a mustang with a 7psi ATI kit (p-1sc) and it got the full 7psi in each gear, and as bad as i hate to say it...that thing will GET DOWN! i'm leaning now on the procharger being bad, can a pulley even make that significant of a difference?
    how do you know for sure there aren't any leaks? have you done a boost leak test or did you just 'look' around to see if you can notice any leaks?

Black

the pulley diameters are 5 1\4 and 3 1\2...as far as the leak tests, i've done the test before i ran the system on the street and found a leak. i fixed it ran it on the street where the boost problems occurred and then tested it again and came up with nothing. my other thought was that the purge valve was malfunctioning, but i convinced procharger to send another one and i have had the same result. i really do appreciate all the advice...but i've been through all the obvious stuff...needless to say i'm pulling my hair out. i just need to make sure before i get on the phone with some poor tech and demand answers LOL!

Black

Are you saying the crank pulley is 5.5" and the blower pulley is 3.5?

The CP should be at least 7"

Black

i just double checked with my shop and with ATI and the pulley (on the crank) is the correct size at 5.75" diameter. I think we've decided to go ahead and send the charger to ATI for bench testing to make sure everything is kosher. if its is performing like its supposed to...i think i'm gonna $h*t a brick. Thanks for all the help everyone...i'll definitely post the resolution as soon as i achieve one.

Black

Don't send the blower back. The problem is your CP is way too small.

It should be 7.65"

Black

hmmm...maybe my shop guy isn't measuring correctly. strange though, normally he is very thorough. i won't have a chance to check it myself for a few more days...when i do i'll post it.

Thread Information