SOM / NBM
    2002 Pro Z28/2001 TurboTA

Procharger install done new issue to deal with

So after installing the D1 on my 2002 z28 and having it tuned by ECS, they tell me that they only did 1 dyno pull because it's getting to much blow by, the car has 111K miles it pukes up a bit of oil from the oil cap breather, so now what ?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

You're going to get blow by with stock rings, not to mention stock rings with 111k miles. Ideally if you went with a P1 on that motor and made 6 -8 lbs of boost you wouldn't have as much of an issue. A D1 makes more boost so the motor needs to be tighter. Perhaps put the biggest pulley on the D1 as to make less boost for right now.

Time to think about rebuilding your motor and with that said...might as well go forged. In the meantime just put a catch can inline and run your car the way it is. Just empty the catch can....alot.

SOM / NBM

the car maxes 8 lbs of boost is it safe to drive for a while i dont really push it to 8 lbs that offten, the catch can will stop the oil coming out of the breather? or is there oil being forced into the intake?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    the car maxes 8 lbs of boost is it safe to drive for a while i dont really push it to 8 lbs that offten, the catch can will stop the oil coming out of the breather? or is there oil being forced into the intake?
    8 lbs is good for a stock motor but seeing how many miles yours has and the rings are worn enough....I'd suggest less boost. A catch can on your pcv line will catch most of the oil before it goes into your intake. The pcv line comes out of the valve covers so that's why you're seeing it come through the oil breather...point of least resistance.

SOM / NBM

Oh i see now.. thanks alot i plan on doing the forged parts but not till maybe next year wanted to know if it was ok to drive, any recomendations on where and which can to buy?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

No problem helping out. Everything is okay to run on your motor, just keep up on the oil situation. Don't let it run low. There's a group purchase going on from KY Speed right now on catch cans. Here's a link to the thread. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...80#post1827480

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

SOM / NBM

Just put in my order for one with them a few days ago thanks again

I also found this on another forum. Does it make sence to you ?

Run your vent tube on the valve cover to the pcv valve and then to the inlet side of the blower. Put a vacuum cap and clamp on the throttle body tube.

I did not realize how important this is!!! I finally did it and no more oil coming out dipstick tube, no more blowing pcv valve out of grommet, and no more blue smoke under boost.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I've never combined the two lines (vent and pcv). Isn't all that oil is now going to feed into the blower hat?? For sure cap the vent on the throttle body....you don't want that sucking in any air.

As long as it's working for you....that's great news.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by devil6rr View Post
    So after installing the D1 on my 2002 z28 and having it tuned by ECS, they tell me that they only did 1 dyno pull because it's getting to much blow by, the car has 111K miles it pukes up a bit of oil from the oil cap breather, so now what ?
    do that catch can,any FI needs one run one for each side of the motor,you can also use the vaccume from the air intake side/air cleaner to help with this,I have a catch can ,vented to both valve cover,block off the one that runs into the bottom of the intake,just use the one on the valve covers,pm me for more help.easier to see pics ,of them if you need them.You can do a leak down on the motor,dont think it can be all blamed on your high miles, thats BS,look at it this way was car using oil before install?did it burn oil,I would bet not, most people are smart enough not to install FI on a worn out motor,FI puts more air in the cylinders making more power thus more pressure on everything internal.If you rings are in good shape and you dont have any valve seal issues,blow by is normal on any FI motor,get the cans,let me know how that works for you 8 psi aint shit.even for a stock motor,ran 18 on mine .best of luck.
    Last edited by qwkgto; 03-13-2009 at 04:08 AM.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

SOM / NBM

Yea.. the car never used oil before...it just drips on the ground but dont burn any. im not saying it's burning now but the amount coming out of the breather is excessive! im waiting to get my catch can from KY Speed.

SOM / NBM

I was talking to a old hot rodder that said they used to run the pcv into the exaust and it would help cause it would suck the pressure out of the crank case.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, On running the PCV to the exaust. And thinking it would have to be after the cat so the cat didn't get yuked up trying to burn off any oil in the fumes drawn in. Catch can would be the better choice. Think it might be too much of a draw if it was routed there? Don't know. Suppose you could take out the O2 after the cat & attach a vacume gauge there. Rev it up a bit to see the lbs listed? All the internal engine needs is venting to not build up internal pressure. Just my opinion. Dave

Thread Information