Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Procharger Exhaust

I need some clarification!! I have an '02 SS with a Procharger P-1SC on it. The guy I bought the car from also put long-tube headers on it (I'm not sure what kind they are). While talking with one of the tech supporters from Procharger, he informed me that with the long-tube headers I would be losing boost due to lower back pressure. Any other opinions?? Help me out please, do I need to change my headers??

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Are you sure he said losing boost or would have lower boost with headers?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

You're right, lower boost with headers.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

That's very true. It's all about air flow restriction. If you have a small exhaust, then the air cannot flow as quickly in and out of the engine. That means you have plenty of inlet boost pressure, but not able to make as much power. Now open up the exhaust bigger, you'll be able to release the air flow out of the engine faster. Hence lower boost numbers. So now you'll need to put new pulley's on the head unit (procharger) to build up more inlet boost again. How much volume of air can be shoved through the motor is what forced induction does. So on a stock motor, the internals can only handle so much added pressure or boost. Typically 8 lbs of boost is the most you want to run on a stock motor. Forging a motor makes the internals much stronger and are then able to handle the higher amounts of boost, 15 lbs or more. Hope that helps.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by ProchargedSSGun View Post
    You're right, lower boost with headers.
    Yes you will get lower boost. But the same power. Now you can pulley up to the same boost level and get more power.

Remember, what goes it has to come out. Keep the headers.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks guys!! That does help alot! However it leads me to another question...I understand the idea behind the smaller pullies on the head unit creating more boost. But that means that the unit will be spinning faster. Will that hurt the unit???

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Thanks guys!! That does help alot! However it leads me to another question...I understand the idea behind the smaller pullies on the head unit creating more boost. But that means that the unit will be spinning faster. Will that hurt the unit???
    Yes, there is a point where the efficiency is maxed out. Especially on the P1SC, same one I have. I don't know the exact point, but I've been told by SDCE and ATI not to use anything smaller than a 3.4 pulley (smallest pulley ATI makes). It was said that if the supercharger is being over spun, it's creating excessive heat which will cause you to lose power. So no benefit of trying to run a smaller pulley to spin it faster. The only way to get more boost is to upgrade to a D1SC or a F1 procharger. Those are bigger and designed to create more boost on the same pulley system.

*Note: I have the SDCE spring tensioner bracket which is superior to the stock ATI one that comes with the kit. I gained ~3 lbs of boost by switching to SDCE's tensioner.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

kind of off topic but...does your procharger make a noise at idle? Guy at my job just put a procharger on his 08 Vette and got it back today but it makes a weird noise at idle...they told him that's normal..? By the way with just that mod he put down 536RWHP and 490TQ....I want one bad now!!

Black

Yep the whine is normal.

[MEDIA]https://www.ls1.com/ed/d1/blower.wmv[/MEDIA]

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    kind of off topic but...does your procharger make a noise at idle? Guy at my job just put a procharger on his 08 Vette and got it back today but it makes a weird noise at idle...they told him that's normal..? By the way with just that mod he put down 536RWHP and 490TQ....I want one bad now!!
    They make a "whirring" sound. Does the noise at idle sound like rocks being crushed in the unit? That is normal and is largely attributed to the ATI bracket. I noticed that weird sound at idle when I first installed mine, but Ed told be about the SDCE tensioner bracket. I ordered and installed the SDCE one and the sound went away for the most part. You can barely hear that rock crushing sound now. Hope that helps.

White Liquid Silver

That sound clip is exactly it, it goes away as soon as you blip the throttle and then back at idle. He handed me the remote and said take it for a ride and see what you think...I handed it back and told him to wait until warmer weather when the tires will hook and I'll take him up on it...He's scared of it now and wants me to show him how to get on it without breaking the tires loose...He said 2nd wants to just bake up the tires...I know if I drive it I'll want one soooo bad!!!He just spent 9k on it....

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    They make a "whirring" sound. Does the noise at idle sound like rocks being crushed in the unit? That is normal and is largely attributed to the ATI bracket. I noticed that weird sound at idle when I first installed mine, but Ed told be about the SDCE tensioner bracket. I ordered and installed the SDCE one and the sound went away for the most part. You can barely hear that rock crushing sound now. Hope that helps.
    yea that helps

White Liquid Silver

I need some clarification!! I have an '02 SS with a Procharger P-1SC on it. The guy I bought the car from also put long-tube headers on it (I'm not sure what kind they are). While talking with one of the tech supporters from Procharger, he informed me that with the long-tube headers I would be losing boost due to lower back pressure. Any other opinions?? Help me out please, do I need to change my headers??
    Sorry bud I'm not trying to jack your thread.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    That sound clip is exactly it, it goes away as soon as you blip the throttle and then back at idle. He handed me the remote and said take it for a ride and see what you think...I handed it back and told him to wait until warmer weather when the tires will hook and I'll take him up on it...He's scared of it now and wants me to show him how to get on it without breaking the tires loose...He said 2nd wants to just bake up the tires...I know if I drive it I'll want one soooo bad!!!He just spent 9k on it....

There is no doubt you will want one.

666 rwhp and over 700 rwtq is so much fun!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Talking with ATI, they say we can send in our P-1SC and they can change out the guts and upgrade it to a D-1SC for around $1200!! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!!

Black

Talking with ATI, they say we can send in our P-1SC and they can change out the guts and upgrade it to a D-1SC for around $1200!! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!!
    I bought a used D1 for just over that.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Which tranny are you running with that setup?? Right now I've got a Tremec T56 but I looking at swapping it out with a Turbo 400 and adding a stall and trans brake. Any suggestions or good deals you know about??

Black

FLP Level IV tranny. Good tranny, but I am pushing it pretty hard.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Yes, there is a point where the efficiency is maxed out. Especially on the P1SC, same one I have. I don't know the exact point, but I've been told by SDCE and ATI not to use anything smaller than a 3.4 pulley (smallest pulley ATI makes). It was said that if the supercharger is being over spun, it's creating excessive heat which will cause you to lose power. So no benefit of trying to run a smaller pulley to spin it faster. The only way to get more boost is to upgrade to a D1SC or a F1 procharger. Those are bigger and designed to create more boost on the same pulley system.

*Note: I have the SDCE spring tensioner bracket which is superior to the stock ATI one that comes with the kit. I gained ~3 lbs of boost by switching to SDCE's tensioner.
    So, I am purchasing a P1SC and I am going to be pushing 8#. What is the sense of me using the SDCE spring tensioner bracket? I don't want to go over 8# and this will put me over that. Or are you saying that upgrading to the better spring tensioner bracket will allow me to further push the P1SC ?

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    So, I am purchasing a P1SC and I am going to be pushing 8#. What is the sense of me using the SDCE spring tensioner bracket? I don't want to go over 8# and this will put me over that. Or are you saying that upgrading to the better spring tensioner bracket will allow me to further push the P1SC ?
    The P1SC 8lb system won't give you 8lbs of boost. I saw about 6 lbs boost with the 8lb system. By just putting on the SDCE tensioner I went from 6lbs to 9lbs. It didn't have anything to do with the Procharger head unit itself.

I only had shorty headers for exhaust. I'm sure if you have long tubes, that'll be less restrictive and perhaps give you 1lb less of boost. Just use a big pulley to keep your boost level appropriate. You may have to watch your boost gauge when running and lift off the accelerator when you start getting above 8lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information