Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    95 z28 convertible

problems with sts turbo

Hi I just installed the sts turbo system. I am only running 5 psi of boost because my compression is 11:1. I have a lingenfelter 219/219 560 lift 112 cam. bbk 52mm throttle body, advanced induction lt1 heads, hooker long tube headers, 42 lbs injectors, methenol injection, tr6 plugs tune by pcm for less. car was dyno 360 rwh before turbo install. o.k first question Iam getting lots of water out the exhaust, is this normal ? second problem I drove the car a few times but I doesnt seem to have any more power, It wont even brake the tires loose in second gear,thats with 410 gears!
    I just pulled the plugs and there white. the only thing that I have not done yet is upgrade the fuel pump. I thought with only 5 psi of boost the stock pump would be o.k. would this cause the poor power ? Is there anything else that may be the problem ? I will order a new fuel pump tomarrow, other problem is it will be a problem to drop the tank to install, because turbo, exhaust are welded. can I cut a hatch way above the pump to replace it ? If any one has done this, is there any pictures. thanks..

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i am along for the ride i want to put that same turbo on soon so good luck. have you had it tuned yet???

pewtr
    2002 Trans am WS-6

i have sts and will never do again , to many problems, water outa exhast sumtimes, oil outa exhaust sumtimes, cant drive when its raining casue the air filter is under car, i was running 13.6 on stock ls1 , with sts @ 5 lbs with stock fuel inj and fuel pump was 12.6@114, now upgraded fuel system pump and injectors, LQ9 heads , electric boost controller so im gona go to 8lbs, snow meth/water injection kit, and some M/T drag street radials. but i still wouldnt do sts again, but 1 thing the guys at sts are really nice and try to help me out alor so that is 1 good thing

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
    Hi I just installed the sts turbo system. I am only running 5 psi of boost because my compression is 11:1. I have a lingenfelter 219/219 560 lift 112 cam. bbk 52mm throttle body, advanced induction lt1 heads, hooker long tube headers, 42 lbs injectors, methenol injection, tr6 plugs tune by pcm for less. car was dyno 360 rwh before turbo install. o.k first question Iam getting lots of water out the exhaust, is this normal ? second problem I drove the car a few times but I doesnt seem to have any more power, It wont even brake the tires loose in second gear,thats with 410 gears!
    I just pulled the plugs and there white. the only thing that I have not done yet is upgrade the fuel pump. I thought with only 5 psi of boost the stock pump would be o.k. would this cause the poor power ? Is there anything else that may be the problem ? I will order a new fuel pump tomarrow, other problem is it will be a problem to drop the tank to install, because turbo, exhaust are welded. can I cut a hatch way above the pump to replace it ? If any one has done this, is there any pictures. thanks..
    It sure does sound like you are running lean (white plugs). I'm amazed they didn't suggest putting an inline fuel pump after your stock pump for the added ponies, or at least a bigger pump to replace the stock pump. If you order a new fuel pump, I'd advise against getting the same size stock pump.
    What is your fuel pressure running at WOT? Do you have a boost gauge? Are you achieving the full 5 psi that you are looking for? Water coming out of the exhaust is not normal. Is your coolant level in your radiator dropping? Is it possible that you have a blown head gasket?

I hope it works out for you! Let us know!

red
    95 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    i am along for the ride i want to put that same turbo on soon so good luck. have you had it tuned yet???
    yes it has been tuned, but its a mail order tune ! that may be some of the problem.

red
    95 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    It sure does sound like you are running lean (white plugs). I'm amazed they didn't suggest putting an inline fuel pump after your stock pump for the added ponies, or at least a bigger pump to replace the stock pump. If you order a new fuel pump, I'd advise against getting the same size stock pump.
    What is your fuel pressure running at WOT? Do you have a boost gauge? Are you achieving the full 5 psi that you are looking for? Water coming out of the exhaust is not normal. Is your coolant level in your radiator dropping? Is it possible that you have a blown head gasket?

I hope it works out for you! Let us know!
    I called sts and they said stock fuel pump should be o.k for 5 psi of boost.
    I am installing fuel pressure gauge now, how much pressure should it hold @ WOT. yes I have a boost gauge. coolant level is not dropping.

White
    '10 ZR1

I called sts and they said stock fuel pump should be o.k for 5 psi of boost.
    I am installing fuel pressure gauge now, how much pressure should it hold @ WOT. yes I have a boost gauge. coolant level is not dropping.
    Just FYI, a fuel pressure gauge really is necessary for tuning, as well as a boost gauge. (you probably already know that) Did you say that you are achieving the boost that you are looking for? I'm happy to hear your coolant level is not dropping!

As far as what fuel pressure should it hold, on my 8 psi ATI set up, I have an Aeromotive inline pump that comes on when the boost achieves a certain pressure. When the pump kicks on, the pressure usually spikes, and then settles in at around 55 to 60 psi. However, it sounds like our systems are a bit different.

Here's another scenario. I had a '94 TA with a ProCharger on it as well. The fuel pressure gauge would read about 80 psi, and I still wasn't getting enough fuel. Every time I tried to adjust the pressure up, since I didn't upgrade my injectors, I was experiencing 'injector lock'. Or so I was told.

STS guys: what does your fuel pressure typically run with a 5 psi set up? Did you add an additional fuel pump, or did you upgrade the existing pump? Any help would be appreciated.

Once again, good luck man, hopefully we can get someone to chime in soon for ya!

red
    95 z28 convertible

Question

o.k I just got the fuel pressure gauge installed, and took it for a run. @ an idle pressure is 42 psi @ w.o.t 5 psi of boost pressure is 50 psi. so what should be the next step. send my computer back to pcm for less and have him richin it up. or bring it to the dyno first so I know just how lean it is. also I can see just what the h.p really is. sts says it should be 100h.p more ? also I noticed when the car is up to temp theres not that much water out the exhaust. also I unhooked the methanol injection and I could not tell any difference.

Red
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I thought there was a forum a while back about how the STS does not work very well if you have long tube headers and other exhaust mods. I am not exactly sure, but I thought the STS was only recommended if you have stock headers, stock y-pipe, and stock exhast pipes. I could be wrong, but I think I read that. That is why I stopped researching STS and went back to researching Procharger.

black
    99 Z28

IF you have a bigger cam and such, upgrade the fuel pump. My friend cut a hole in in the trunk area right above where the fuel pump goes in.

Do you have a boost gauge to see if your even making boost.

red
    95 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by romulo13 View Post
    I thought there was a forum a while back about how the STS does not work very well if you have long tube headers and other exhaust mods. I am not exactly sure, but I thought the STS was only recommended if you have stock headers, stock y-pipe, and stock exhast pipes. I could be wrong, but I think I read that. That is why I stopped researching STS and went back to researching Procharger.
    I asked sts about the long tube headers, they said it would make no difference. It seems to spool up o.k . also just to let anyone thinking about getting a sts kit, if you have sub frame connectors you will have to change some of the piping.

red
    95 z28 convertible

My car is going on the dyno next week. so I will find out how air/fuel ratio is. also I will do a dyno pull with turbo unhooked, then do a pull @ 5 psi and see what the real difference is. I will post results.

I am running an sts kit on an 02 LS6 fbody and putting out 462 @ 5 psi. @ the wheels. The key to running a perfect set up is making sure you have enough fuel and a proper ignition system to burn the a/f. Also for optimum performance the psm must be tuned to the "T". Also make sure that you have no air leaks under boost or on the exhaust side.

I had 4.10's on this vehicle w/ an M6 and the very second I achieved boost is any gear the tires broke loose. Also with 4.10's the length of time that you are in boost is very short, thus this is the reason I went back to a 3.42. You loose a little bit of the acceleration but when the boost comes in you will love it!

Black
    87 Buick GN

In my opinion...your not going to get it lined out with a mail order tune...You might get it close. I suggest that you find a tuner in your area that can tune it with real time data, not what works for 75 percent of people. Also, the plugs tell the story...your are lean....it needs more fuel. I hope you havent done any damage to the motor from detonation. Id also run a leak down test to see if the head gaskets are holding. Some condensation is normal...but unusually large amounts of water could mean trouble.

Yellow w/ flames
    2004 GTO

Are you running through an intercooler? I have one on my 04 GTO and because of the pressure drop between the piping and the intercooler if the waste gate is being controlled by the pressure at the turbo outlet it will open before the manifold sees any boast or just 1 lb. I put a tee in the power brake booster line and ran a line back to the waste gate everything changed at that point. I picked up ~10mph with similar cam, was told it was not t he best, 42lb injectors and LT's. JUST MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT RUN LEAN!!! The engine is out of th goat now lost a piston!

red
    95 z28 convertible

Well I just got back from the dyno ! the problem is not what I thought.
    the car is running extremly rich, as soon as you go w.o.t It falls on its face.
    Air/fuel is 10.0 at all rpms. thats as rich as the dyno will read. so it might be around 8.0/9.0 ? only made 182 hp @3400. on the second run I unhooked the methanol injection. air/fuel started @ 10.7 then right to 10.0 but made more power 295hp. this really sucks ! I started @ 360 hp But at least I know the problem. car only makes 4.5 psi of boost. I wish I could have it dyno tuned But there is no place in n.y that I can find that has the software for LT1 to do it!
    So I will be sending the computer back to pcm for less tomarrow. I wonder how close my timing is ??

Black
    87 Buick GN

Well I just got back from the dyno ! the problem is not what I thought.
    the car is running extremly rich, as soon as you go w.o.t It falls on its face.
    Air/fuel is 10.0 at all rpms. thats as rich as the dyno will read. so it might be around 8.0/9.0 ? only made 182 hp @3400. on the second run I unhooked the methanol injection. air/fuel started @ 10.7 then right to 10.0 but made more power 295hp. this really sucks ! I started @ 360 hp But at least I know the problem. car only makes 4.5 psi of boost. I wish I could have it dyno tuned But there is no place in n.y that I can find that has the software for LT1 to do it!
    So I will be sending the computer back to pcm for less tomarrow. I wonder how close my timing is ??
    So....your were running rich...but the plugs where white?

red
    95 z28 convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Forcedinductiontech View Post
    So....your were running rich...but the plugs where white?
    Yes, I dont under stand . I just pulled the plugs again after driving 2 hours to the dyno and there black on the bottom of the threads but the electro and the tip are clean as a whisle . the guy @ the dyno shop said said that when Iam in a closed loop the fuel is o.k. but @ w.o.t it goes to open loop and its dumping way to much fuel. I know this dosnt sound right. I am going to try to take a picture of the plugs and post them, and then I try to post the dyno sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information