powerdyne supercharger

This is a discussion on powerdyne supercharger within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hello, please help. I just found a powerdyne s.c forsale by me for 850.00 the guy says it comes with ...

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

Question powerdyne supercharger

Hello, please help. I just found a powerdyne s.c forsale by me for 850.00 the guy says it comes with everything and it is the f-body ls1 setup. It is pushing 6 pounds of boost and only has about 5000 miles on it. It came on his car and he is taking it off. What do you guys think i am going to by it im pretty sure for 850.00 with everything included. Also what size injectors should i get? I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I know they are not the best, but i am going to be doing a cam build and thought this would be a nice add. Thanks
    Last edited by sckT/ALsX; 03-13-2010 at 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot something

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

link of ad, if it comes with everything it should have injectors.
    42's preferably 60lb's especially if you plan on a cam
    new fuel pump, etc.
    Are the powerdynes the ones w/o the intercoolers?

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

yes i believe they are the ones without the intercooler.
    Last edited by sckT/ALsX; 03-13-2010 at 02:14 PM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It looks like a good deal, it wouldn't cost much to much to add some pipe for an intercooler, other wise you better be happy only making 6psi.
    Doesn't hurt to look at powerdyne's sight and see if he has everything the kit comes with. Me being ignorant on f/i I would jump all over this and find out what parts I am missing later

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

thanks that is what i figured, hopefully i can pick it up tomorrow once he gets back to me. i know its not the best out there but for the price i thought i would try it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I talked to someone who had one of those w/ a meth kit and 430rwhp smog legally w/ a 98 formula. You will be ahead of most h/c people-if it checks out

siver
    2000 ss camaro

They aren't as bad as most people think,however,be prepared to put some money into modding the supercharger itself.I have one on my car,so I know what I'm talking about!There are some design issues with these superchargers from the factory,and those things have to be fixed to get any kind of life out of them.I can point you in the right direction if you buy it,but be prepared to spend about $750 just on the mods,which may not make this such a great deal for ya!!

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

Quote Originally Posted by headpecker View Post
    They aren't as bad as most people think,however,be prepared to put some money into modding the supercharger itself.I have one on my car,so I know what I'm talking about!There are some design issues with these superchargers from the factory,and those things have to be fixed to get any kind of life out of them.I can point you in the right direction if you buy it,but be prepared to spend about $750 just on the mods,which may not make this such a great deal for ya!!
    do you think you could tell me what all is supposed to come with the kit the powerdyne website does not really say. thanks

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

i found out he doesnt have the micro tuner with it does anyone know where i might be able to get the powerdine microtuner, or can any handheld programmer work? or if i get the car tuned by someone after the install would that take care of it not having the microtuner.
    Last edited by sckT/ALsX; 03-13-2010 at 08:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
    1999 black T/A. bolt ons; headman headers, slp ram air set up and lid, performance ss MAF, slp LM2, Hotchkis suspension, pro 5.0 shifter, other mods to come.

siver
    2000 ss camaro

Their kit is really very basic,and not very well thought-out.Basicly consisting of an external high pressure fuel pump,a relay for it,an FMU unit(outdated technology)to help add additional fuel,a Hobbs switch to activate the fuel pump,and a really lame air inlet system to the supercharger. To answer your question,no,you dont need the micro-tuner,just have it tuned professionally.I fabbed up my own air intake system drawing in air from under the car,which I would recommend. You wont find much info,or get much help from Powerdyne,as they are basicly out of business!!

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

ok thanks alot. now the fans it comes with is that because you have to remove the stock ones to make it fit? Also just wondering how much HP do you think it gave you? thank you
    Last edited by sckT/ALsX; 03-14-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: adding

siver
    2000 ss camaro

Yes,you are required to move the fans,as they will interfere with the piping of the supercharger where it feeds up in front of the radiator(between the radiator and the engine),very tight in there!So one small fan gets put off to one side,and another goes out in front of the radiater as a "pusher".
    As for HP numbers,I had mine tuned two years ago,before I did longtubes,ls6 intake,injectors,or anything-just bone stock-it made 393rwhp.I'm working on adding a meth kit now,so hopefully soon I'll be doing a re-tune,should be fun!! Good luck man!!

siver
    2000 ss camaro

I forgot to mention that I had my supercharger completely modded out with all new high-temp ceramic bearings,kevlar belt,and some mods done to the case to ventilate and cool the bearings(which are the design flaws of these superchargers)As a result of these mods,Im making a little over 7psi of boost,whereas in stock form I believe its rated at 5.5psi

black
    1999 pontiac T/A m6

thanks for all the info.. what size injectors are you running now? I am going to have to get the Hobbs switch and inline pump do you know where the best place to get those would be ? Thanks again man, you will have to let me know what your up to after your new tune!!

siver
    2000 ss camaro

I had bought some 28lb injectors from a buddy who took'em out of his Zo6,but they just werent big enough.Now that Im stepping up everything else,including meth-injection,Im putting in 60lb injectors now. As for where to find a fuel pump and hobbs switch-good ole E-bay is where I'd start!!

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

You are crazy to install a powerdyne! I had one on my 97 LT1 SS, the belt broke inside it 4 times within 6,000 miles, they gave me a whole new supercharger and that one broke at 4,000 miles, then i sold it , i was so pissed , i payed over $3,000 for the system back then i wanted to sue them, but after i did some research about how powerdynes fall apart and a lot of engines were totaly destroyed after sucking in pieces of the superchargers impeller i was just happy and felt lucky that didt happen to me, i think there sales/tech guy back then name was Sam, he didnt care about anything , Terriable customer service, the Company went down the tubes, there is a porsche supercharger rebuilder guy that fixes them now, hes suspose to be very good,. i would get a procharger system, worth the $$$ and durable

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

O yeah , forgot , after i sold my system, To a guy named Ben, not sure how it worked out for him, anyway i had a 8-10 psi pulley that my friend nick wanted , he had a powerdyne system on his 92 notch back mustang, making 6 psi, i gave him my smaller pulley and he installed it , about 2 months later he sucked in the impeller and wrecked his cyclinders bad, block was shot.

DONT DO IT!
    For anyone interested i have a New alky control for sale , PM me

Thread Information