Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Power Issue In Third Gear

I have a sts turbo 4.5 lbs of boots making a good 404 to the wheels.
    I have a A4 automatic tranny on a 04 gto. Well the car pulls like crazzy and the 0-60 is like 3.9 on street tires but when the car hit third gear seems like it stop pulling hard and my 1/4 mile is like 13.1. if you do the math on my time slips I should be runiing at least 12.9 even if I am a retard. Race weight 3950.
    Not sure why the car does this the only thing I can think of is maybe by third gear the turbo is red hot and I lose some power. but i dought it.
    ANY IDEAS.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by q1234567890
    I have a sts turbo 4.5 lbs of boots making a good 404 to the wheels.
    I have a A4 automatic tranny on a 04 gto. Well the car pulls like crazzy and the 0-60 is like 3.9 on street tires but when the car hit third gear seems like it stop pulling hard and my 1/4 mile is like 13.1. if you do the math on my time slips I should be runiing at least 12.9 even if I am a retard. Race weight 3950.
    Not sure why the car does this the only thing I can think of is maybe by third gear the turbo is red hot and I lose some power. but i dought it.
    ANY IDEAS.
    what are tyou trapping and what is your 60ft? 3gear in a auto is 1:1 ...so its not gonna pull that hard.

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

60 FT 2.0 Tap MPH 109.38 race weight 4000 1/4 mile 13.133

Its possible the turbo is overheating and your intake temp and causing some losses - especially since it starts off so strong. You are at least .6 off of where you should be, so i'd look for knock retard caused by heat soak from the turbo. Check your air intake temps if you have autotap or something. I dont know who setup your PCM but there could be some torque converter slip goin on as well or your a/f goes to crap under the higher engine load in 3rd gear..its hard to say, but it could be a lot of things.

Barbados Blue
    2004 Pontiac GTO

yea your right i was thinking about that. I was thinking about the heat and also i was thinking the torq managment in third gear could be high be cause out of all gear third is the most commoly broke gear in a auto.
    I think whats i might do is install my nos kit and spray a 25 shot see if this help with the heat and monitor my tranny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also i went to miami and i was doing about 80 mph and i hit the gas and it down shifted to third gear and was not pulling great the gas seemed ok on the A/F but I think maybe i should check my fuel presurre but even that make no sence. hmm
    Hey do know if its possobly for a turbo spoll slowly even if your crusing maybe the turbo heats up just by cursing around 2500 rpms if thats the case then maybe i really will have to get a Intercooler.

Quote Originally Posted by q1234567890
    yea your right i was thinking about that. I was thinking about the heat and also i was thinking the torq managment in third gear could be high be cause out of all gear third is the most commoly broke gear in a auto.
    I think whats i might do is install my nos kit and spray a 25 shot see if this help with the heat and monitor my tranny,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,also i went to miami and i was doing about 80 mph and i hit the gas and it down shifted to third gear and was not pulling great the gas seemed ok on the A/F but I think maybe i should check my fuel presurre but even that make no sence. hmm
    Hey do know if its possobly for a turbo spoll slowly even if your crusing maybe the turbo heats up just by cursing around 2500 rpms if thats the case then maybe i really will have to get a Intercooler.

nah - sounds like youre just blowing hot air Intercooler is a HUGE+ for turbos obviously..it will only help gain power.
    If it's not heat soak/detonation/high temp intake charge, i'd look into the trans stuff. I wouldnt go throwing NOS into the mix though since that will help regardless so you wont be able to tell if it's intake temps being lower thats helping, or the shot itself. If youre sure your a/f is right, you're not in knock-retard, and your intake temps arent sky-high, i'd assume the induction system is working okay and youre just having problems elsewhere in the drivetrain.

Im not an LS1 turbo guy though..im a GN guy.

Thread Information