ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Poor man's SuperCharger....2lbs boosT:)

My brother sent this to me........you gotta give him a break he drives a 2001 Cobra

http://www.acuraintegra.org/super_charger.htm

I have often thought about a high volume fan just to bring in more air. This guy came up with a reasonable solution, but then again it is on a ricer

Any ideas? Good bad or indifferent on its merits??

Enjoy.....

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Definitely not on the radar of the typical LSX enthusiast, but it is a fan that blows air into the motor. If anyone on here has used this device, they sure haven't posted up about it. It looks like a joke to me but I have never used it and don't know anybody who has. Who knows, it might be good for 20whp? Maybe some members who know something about FI will chime in.

Might be just as good to run some "Sake" octane booster! <--- WTF?

White
    1999 SS

definite joke. It loses more power from drawing off the alternator, than the .02 rwhp (if any that it gains)

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Okay then, 2 votes for No, its a joke

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I have actually heard of this before, just nothing about results. I mean on the surface it seems like it would do something, but something tells me it wont work...
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

I saw a very half assed setup like that on a car when I worked at tires plus. The kid took off the air filter and put the fan in place of it and had two wires comin out of the dash from who knows where to some monster radio shack switch. I didnt know what was going to happen first, engine seize or electrical fire.

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

But its only $39........LOL

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

..look a it this way what happens when the fan runs out of air? this would never work..

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Question

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    ..look a it this way what happens when the fan runs out of air? this would never work..

Ehhh

bottled air........

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That thing can't provide enough CFMs for any LSX engine. Maybe for my lawnmower.

White
    2002 VY SS

Ok, someone correct me if my theory is vastly incorrect. Lets hypothetically say you run a power source separate to your engine driven alternator that magically wont run out of charge, and the fan unit is mighty enough to provide 2psi of pressure to your intake at say around 2000 rpm when you hit WOT. Air flow rate is at X, and said fan is happy to accomodate. What happens when the engine reaches 6000+rpm and the air flow rate is now at Y or Z? The electric fan provides a constant rate of air flow to hold a pressure, but your engine demands an increasing rate of flow as revs rise. So the positive manifold pressure would drop and probably end up being a negative pressure.

Isn't this why superchargers and turbos spin faster in relation to increasing engine speed? I think all you will end up with is the fan's impeller in pieces and rattling inside your exhaust pipes...

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

There is some dyno videos of that crap on youtube. I remember being bored one night and finding stuff like that... one I remember was some guys strapped a leaf blower engine on the hood. It gave a whopping 15 hp on some little 4 banger.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

everybody has been right thus far on this subject... it is no joke it has been done infact I'm pretty sure you can find electric superchargers on ebay... however you're right it won't work worth shit for multiple reasons not worth the time to screw around with it...

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Well Darn................

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If it doesn't move more than 800 cfm of air then it will do nothing. Your engine probably draws that much in on its own at wot. It might push in a little air at lower rpms.

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

haha yah i had a store bought one that some kid installed on it before i bought it the thing was a waste of space and kept pissing me off cause the kid is stupid and ran it to were its allways on when the car is instead of at WOT.... so once i took it off i noticed no change whats so even besides makes ur exhaust sound similiar to an autozone fart can. (which sound like crap).......

yea you wind up loseing power just from the shear restriction it places being in the intake tract.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    everybody has been right thus far on this subject... it is no joke it has been done infact I'm pretty sure you can find electric superchargers on ebay... however you're right it won't work worth shit for multiple reasons not worth the time to screw around with it...

i've said it a million times...

you average run of the mil septa buss uses small SC's like this to spool up their turbo so taht thye don't lag... but that is on a deisle engine... it would be impractical on a lsx engine now days...

red
    1999 Firehawk

I'll install that right after I get done installing my turbo sound kit. They offer a kit in the import mags that has a speaker and a switch, when you hit the switch it sounds like a blow off valve venting to atmosphere.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I wonder how many people hit the button at the wrong time and just make themselves look like a tool.

Thread Information