Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

New Kit from STS!

I just got off the phone with STS Turbos in Orem Utah, I was told that they are scrapping the old system for a new "more ground clearance" kit. They got a 2" dropped f body and molded the kit aroud it. I was told that the kit is no longer the lowest part of the car. It is actually above the suspension now. So anyone with a lowered f body should have no problems.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

I wish I could afford an STS kit...and a new bottom end on the motor

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

good, now they only have about 50 other issues to work out... http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...2&postcount=11

blk,blk
    1999 transam

so true, thats why im building a new bigger an better motor, an going to a front mount.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Trust me when I say stay away from STS!!! I will not mess with another STS kit ever again! Too many issues they have to figure out. One being the fact that they can't get the oil issues figured out. Do a google search on STS oil problems and you'll find a few people have had the same problem that STS basically ignores is happening.

Shame on them then, least you guys w experience can do is continue putting the facts out there !

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

another fact about them from another recent tune in addition to the link I posted above....

They have no IDEA what to do with the PCV system, and as a result it adds more to the oiling issue. Under boost, you want to be putting a vacuum on the crankcase to help evacuate it. Stock and later on built engines, you begin to get some blowby around the rings. This pressurizes the crankcase. STS knows that under boost, the manifold where they draw PCV from will be pressurized and that can't be dumped into the crankcase. They have a hobbs (pressure) switch that switches "off" the PCV under boost. So when you REALLY need crankscase evac, you get NOTHING. It might pop your dipstick out or it might pop that horrible return up on the valve cover, either way bringing oil with it. What they NEED to do, is draw off of 2 valve covers, tee into an oil seperator/catch can and run a line all the way to the back of the car to the pipe between the turbo and the filter where there will be a strong vacuum under boost to evac things properly.

Just saying...

blk,blk
    1999 transam

i totally agree with u frost, but even if they do fix that, i wont go back to another sts kit although they sound bad ass, just lesson what mine use to sound like.
    http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...deoid=10554330

PEWTER
    99 TRANS AM

i understand that the STS is not the best kit out(get what you pay for).But is all this bashing really needed? So you had to modifiy it a little, GIVE THEM A BREAK!!! I have installed 4 of these kits on f-bodys with ZERO problems!!! one is on a completly Bone stock car no subframes or nothing,still has stock rearend with over 10,000 miles on it. Runs Great at 480RWHP. A other one is a all out race car that has made well over 1000 pass at the track, also ZERO problems.All the right parts are there just need to use so common CENTS (not Dollars just Cents). So the charge tube dont fit just find a friend or local welding shop, cut it up and weld it back together. you cant see it if it is installed right anyways(unless you are on your hands and knees at witch point i would have to ask what are you doing on your knees anyways!!!!)Somtimes you just need to pay a little attenion to what is really going on.1st thing i did on all of the kits i install was do way with that ugly a$$ drain back line. Made a fitting to go into the oil level sensor(oil light is only on untill you tell your tuner to shut it off).The main reason for most of these oil issues is the fact that there is way to much oil going to the turbo itself, you need to put a resrictor in this line. Presure is way more important they volume.On all the dragrace cars we build i put a plug in a 1/2 line with a .02 dia hole, Yes i said .02 Dia. On 2000+Hp machines, so that the oil line acts as a squirter to squirt oil on the bearings there is no reason to fill the turbo with oil. On these STS kits i went with a .05dia hole.Just stop a think about how much oil really goes through that line at 60 psi with a 3/8 dia hole. That thing would pump all 5 qts of oil out in about 10 seconds. Love your idea about the PCV, i do that same thing,From the valve cover, just run the line along with the oil drain line to the intake side of the turbo put a oil/sep and PCV valve in it and problem fixed. Watch the air filter!!!!! i modify that before i even put it on. A little braket Screwed on the car and a another on the tube will help the rattle and make sure it dont come off. Just take your time and look at what is really happening and you will be happy with your kit that YOU installed and YOU made work. There is a reason most kits are $6000.00 and up and you can buy a STS kit for less then $4000.00
    Just my two Cents.
    Just like my mother used to say IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.
    COMMENTS ARE NICE ,BUT THIS IS NOT A BASHING FORUM
    Sorry about the long post it just aggrivates that FUC$ out of me when some dump ass that dont really have a clue starts bashing someone for trying new things. Horse Power Per Dollar there is no compairison to the STS kits.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 99transamC/FIA View Post
    i understand that the STS is not the best kit out(get what you pay for).But is all this bashing really needed? So you had to modifiy it a little, GIVE THEM A BREAK!!! I have installed 4 of these kits on f-bodys with ZERO problems!!! one is on a completly Bone stock car no subframes or nothing,still has stock rearend with over 10,000 miles on it. Runs Great at 480RWHP. A other one is a all out race car that has made well over 1000 pass at the track, also ZERO problems.All the right parts are there just need to use so common CENTS (not Dollars just Cents). So the charge tube dont fit just find a friend or local welding shop, cut it up and weld it back together. you cant see it if it is installed right anyways(unless you are on your hands and knees at witch point i would have to ask what are you doing on your knees anyways!!!!)Somtimes you just need to pay a little attenion to what is really going on.1st thing i did on all of the kits i install was do way with that ugly a$$ drain back line. Made a fitting to go into the oil level sensor(oil light is only on untill you tell your tuner to shut it off).The main reason for most of these oil issues is the fact that there is way to much oil going to the turbo itself, you need to put a resrictor in this line. Presure is way more important they volume.On all the dragrace cars we build i put a plug in a 1/2 line with a .02 dia hole, Yes i said .02 Dia. On 2000+Hp machines, so that the oil line acts as a squirter to squirt oil on the bearings there is no reason to fill the turbo with oil. On these STS kits i went with a .05dia hole.Just stop a think about how much oil really goes through that line at 60 psi with a 3/8 dia hole. That thing would pump all 5 qts of oil out in about 10 seconds. Love your idea about the PCV, i do that same thing,From the valve cover, just run the line along with the oil drain line to the intake side of the turbo put a oil/sep and PCV valve in it and problem fixed. Watch the air filter!!!!! i modify that before i even put it on. A little braket Screwed on the car and a another on the tube will help the rattle and make sure it dont come off. Just take your time and look at what is really happening and you will be happy with your kit that YOU installed and YOU made work. There is a reason most kits are $6000.00 and up and you can buy a STS kit for less then $4000.00
    Just my two Cents.
    Just like my mother used to say IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.
    COMMENTS ARE NICE ,BUT THIS IS NOT A BASHING FORUM
    Sorry about the long post it just aggrivates that FUC$ out of me when some dump ass that dont really have a clue starts bashing someone for trying new things. Horse Power Per Dollar there is no compairison to the STS kits.

Well I have tried them and I wont use them! You can find a lot of people that have the same issues with these kits. So not sure what dumb ass you're talking about but I'm quite certain I've had enough experience with these to come up with my opinion...the problem rests with trying to pump the oil from the back of the car, up the firewall, then into the valve cover. Sitting on a dyno they were fine. Put them on the road and add in the "pulling" forces and it has trouble. I know STS tried to put this kit out to try and keep costs down and installation easy but there are just some design flaws. The oiling issue is one I'm afraid. I thought about tapping the oil pan and running the return straight to it. Maybe that would cut down some of the issues but I just dont know. That's why I say just put the turbo up front where it belongs. You can fab one up and come out a lot cheaper. If you're handy with a tig welder or know someone that is you're in. I'll have some pics soon of my new setup soon. The one good thing for me is I keep my a/c....more to come..
    Last edited by cailey37; 01-22-2008 at 04:22 PM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I'm not bashing, just saying what is wrong with the kit. Potential buyers need to realize that it is not a budget kit, and after you fix all of the BS wrong with it, you could have had a nice kit up front for the same cost; even twins.

White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I'm not bashing, just saying what is wrong with the kit. Potential buyers need to realize that it is not a budget kit, and after you fix all of the BS wrong with it, you could have had a nice kit up front for the same cost; even twins.
    I don't know about twins , but, yes, there are many issues that need to be addressed. The only things stock on my STS are the turbo and the pipe leading into the inlet! I even redid the wiring harness as the origonal was subjected to getting wet and burning out the relays that power the remote oil pump.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Damn, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought that STS had gone and made a front mount, like they need to.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Hopefully they are addressing these oil return issues. The STS is a crative kit in theory but it needs some refinement. With everybody doing custom fab work, etc. word needs to get back to STS about how you guys are going about fixing their mistakes so they can engineer it better in the future.

Awaiting Activation

House of Kolors Blue
    1989 Ford Mustang(Drag)

Where do you guys put the turbos that are front mounted? Behind the bumper cover?

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

APS- conventional way...side by side with the engine

OFI- inbetween the front of the engine and radiator

Speedinc- between the engine and radiator...also a twin set up where the battery and fuse boxes are
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

My favorite thing I found in the STS kits are the platic T fittings they give you for the oil!

And on the comment about " Horse Power Per Dollar there is no compairison to the STS kits."

Sorry but there is!!
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

STS kit is nothing but a band-aide for forced induction. It's the cheap way out and the kits are shit.
    I made close to 700hp with my kit ran 10's with no boost in 1st gear. But I had 4,000 issues and don't wish the headache on anyone.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You ran 10's in first gear? Or you're saying you had no boost in 1st gear?

Either way, I agree STS kits are junk!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information