Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Need help fellas?

I want to go FI in my car sometime in the near future and have a few questions. I either want a turbo or Pro Charger and was looking on Ebay motors for the parts. Well I found a turbo kit that regularly pops up (LS1 Turbo) is what I typed in. I am wondering if anyone has used this set up, or knows anything about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...spagenameZWDVW

This setup usually is in diff forms all the time, but never comes with the wastegate. Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I want to go FI in my car sometime in the near future and have a few questions. I either want a turbo or Pro Charger and was looking on Ebay motors for the parts. Well I found a turbo kit that regularly pops up (LS1 Turbo) is what I typed in. I am wondering if anyone has used this set up, or knows anything about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-02...spagenameZWDVW

This setup usually is in diff forms all the time, but never comes with the wastegate. Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Well....I guess one should ask first, how much do you want to spend on the turbo? That kit doesn't come with the tubing for the intercooler piping, clamps, and silicone hoses. You'll end up spending more than if you just buy some of the other kits out there. If you're a little handy with fabbing up things you can always make your own. You could cut the pipes and have someone TIG them up and still come out ahead on cost. Then you could buy better parts, turbo, and intercooler and such.

Like I said, first decide how much you're willing to spend. What kind of HP do you want? And then, think about upgrading your fuel system. You'll need bigger injectors and a fuel pump. Just depends on how far you want to go. The best advice I can tell you is purchase your turbo from Precision Turbo. They've been in the business a while and know their stuff. They've been behind a lot of huge HP cars. I get my turbos from them.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Well, I have seen the same kit on diff days that has all the piping and bands. They just never come with the wastgate. I wouldn't buy this kit, I would wait til they advertise another with all the piping and such and buy the wastegate on my own. I want to spend under $1000 for the kit. I would then need a tune $400, and install $?. I want to get around 550 hp or maybe 600 hp.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I also know for the power, I would need a rear end, fuel pump, injectors, and such. I just want to know if anyone has used this kit or know someone who has. If it has fitment issues, or anything along those lines.

FLAT BLACK
    1989 TRUCK

well on my ls6 im going with a custom setup which will be cheaper for me but im pretty handy but just do what you feel will be best for you.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Well, I have seen the same kit on diff days that has all the piping and bands. They just never come with the wastgate. I wouldn't buy this kit, I would wait til they advertise another with all the piping and such and buy the wastegate on my own. I want to spend under $1000 for the kit. I would then need a tune $400, and install $?. I want to get around 550 hp or maybe 600 hp.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but's gonna cost a LOT more than what you are posting for even a BASIC FI setup.

We need a "True Cost of FI" sticky..

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I am saying under $1000 for the kit not the whole setup.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I am saying under $1000 for the kit not the whole setup.
    Which is at least a bit silly, since a decent turbo alone will cost more than 1K. Forcedinductions sells a 76mps that spools quickly (for a 76) and makes almost as much peak power as a 76GTS for a 900, but that's unusually cheap.

Figure your total completed kit to come to 2.5-4K if you DIY, 5.5-8K if you buy complete.

600rwhp takes the following which you must figure in the cost:
    -dual intank pumps
    -60lb injectors
    -NEEDS a return style fuel system so that rail pressure rises with boost
    -methanol; if you have a stock bottom end there is no getting around it at that HP level
    -If M6, new clutch, if A4, new trans and likely stall too
    -12bolt or 9inch rear (obviously don't have to do this up front, but you will any day after you get the setup done, even without sticky tires)
    -wideband and fuel pressure guages at a minimum.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I know all of that. If you click on the link you will see the price is at $750 right now. I have been keeping an eye on similiar turbo kits and have seen many go for $500 buy it now, almost complete. So if I buy a kit for $500 then get the wastegate and oil feed lines, I should be under $1000 for the kit. Then I will worry about tunes, injectors, rear end, clutch, suspension, fuel pump, bottom end. I know it is alot of money. I just want to know if I should waste my time with this setup, if anyone here has used it or knows someone who has. I know you get what you pay for but I don't want to waste my time if the kit is complete crap from the get go. I would rather go procharger if that is the case.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

There are a few guys on tech installing; it's a chinese copy of the kit that I have on my car. It's the PTK/PTS knock-off setup. There are other issues with that kit to be aware of. There are pics on my f-quick page of PTK's version if you want to look: http://www.fquick.com/Frost

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I wanted to know if that setup will last or if it is a time bomb waiting to happen. What issues are people having if you know.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Can't speak precisely about it since my pipes are made by PTK in TX, not china, but the general issues are:

1. alternator needs relocating and the one that comes with the PTK kit is too small; stock was too big to clear the fuel rail.

2. Wrap ALL of the hotside and all of your power steering lines; your pump may weep around the top.

3. Eventually, the rubber couplers in your steering main shaft will likely exit. I have a flaming river solid piece, so no worries for me.

4. Your stock motor mounts will eventually have the rubber burn out. I have solids and NEED them anyway.

5. Need SPAL pusher fans as your stock fans will no longer clear
    Last edited by Frost; 02-12-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thanks for the help, I think I will stay away from this kit and wait til I can afford a better system.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

EVERY kit (yes even ATI's prochargers) will have a "list", and at least this list is known.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Ok, so on that note, would you buy this system if you didn't already have a turbo setup. I figured with the more money systems there would be less and less hassles.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Wow, I just read your post in the sponsor section. Sounds like I have a smart and educated person helping me with this situation. Thanks for your time and congrats.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Not too smart or I wouldn't have all of this money tied up in my car

That's a tough question really. If it weren't this kit, after looking at lots more, it would be a TTi race kit. However, they are very expensive by comparison, lose A/C, and have a pipe that runs UNDER the k-member. The old manifold-based Incon twin kits are VERY reliable and keep AC, but max out around 700ish HP. The OFI kit seems to be the current rage with it's big turbo (or at least room for one) and keeping accessories in stock locations, but you may have a solid wait after payment before delivery.

There are gotchas to those kits too, but having never installed one and lived with them, I don't know what they all are.

Don't get me wrong, once the ATI setups are in and proper, they are very reliable. Keep in mind that most people have summertime cooling issues with the supplied ATI fans, much over 8-9psi requires a costly 8-rib upgrade for the pulleys, and the twin ICs get restrictive just over 500rwhp (old style twins) and the newer ones around 600rwhp.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I would like to keep AC and don't really want to go over 600hp or anything like that. I still want to keep the car some what street drivable. It obviously isn't my DD so I don't have to worry about that, but wouldn't mind taking the car on some cross country road trips. I have always liked what I have heard about the ATI, but did not know about the cooling. Doesn't really get that hot here in WI but it has its days.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

the turbo on that Ebay kit will last you all but 20 miles if your lucky. its the cheapest of the cheap. like Frost says...its a cheap knock off of a decent kit.

FI costs money my friend...alot of it. be prepared to spend atleast $8k and thats not even the tip of the iceberg. Fuel components are expensive...when you add up all the fittings and lines, pumps, regulaters etc, it adds up very quick. without my kit and motor included my project is at 4k. now if ya throw in the motor and kit, im up around 15k and im still not finished yet.

Doin FI on the cheap is basically throwing money away in my opinion...your better off saving up and doin it the right way than tryin to piece something together for "cheap".

stick with a well known manufacturer for a "kit" cause you have a better chance of getting them to help you if something happens than a Ebay distributor. try complaining to that Ebay guy that a Pipe doesnt fit properly cause it was welded improperly...you'll be lucky to get through to a human. ATI, OFI, TTi, APS, Speedinc. all make quality kits...they all have pros and cons so you should research each one and see which one has the least amount of cons for your liking.

Goodluck.
    Rick
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thanks for the help. ^ That very reason is why I didn't buy the kit right away. I figured I would consult LS1.com first and get info. But another question, what is a good head and compression ratio for a 9 lbs boost car. I was thinking 9:1 but I think that maybe a little low to make the power I want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information