Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

My Procharger Build - Kinda

This is a discussion on My Procharger Build - Kinda within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Wow that thing must be a handful.. looks like u got ur bills stacked up for awhile...

black
    1988 pontiac trans am gta

Wow that thing must be a handful.. looks like u got ur bills stacked up for awhile

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bklesherjr View Post
    Wow that thing must be a handful.. looks like u got ur bills stacked up for awhile
    I'm doing OK with it. I put it all on an 18 month interest free CC and have til the end of next year to wipe it out. So far, I've paid for about a little over half of it all.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just an update and free bump since there's been more recent traffic in the FI section.

Car has been running flawlessly.

Went through about 3 gallons of methanol over a 3 month period so I'm guessing a 5 gallon barrel will indeed last me a race season.

I put about 5K miles on the car since the install. Toward the end of the season (Oct) when the weather got cooler and the NItto DR's got some more mileage on them, traction became almost non-existent. A set of new Mickey Thompson's will be getting mounted come spring.

I'll upload some pics of the changing of the oil on the blower in the next few weeks.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Glad to hear there have been no issues. It's a good feeling when you spend that kind of money and things work out when it is all said and done. I sure that was a fun 5k miles. I'm looking forward to putting a few miles on my car to see yours this coming season.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm definitely looking forward to some cruise days/nights this year and seeing some members rides. Out here in NWI, not too much happening.
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You'd better be coming to my picnic this year

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You'd better be coming to my picnic this year
    Rule number 1...you can't boss around a boss.

I'll see what my schedule looks like though

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

But I am a boss........

If you can make it, that'd be cool. I'll be figuring out when pretty soon. I'll put a thread up.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Knight:2744176
    But I am a boss........

If you can make it, that'd be cool. I'll be figuring out when pretty soon. I'll put a thread up.
    Looking forward to it Walt. You boys had a great time last year.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Looking forward to it Walt. You boys had a great time last year.
    It was a blast, although it was quite hot. I'm thinking we'll probably do a cookout, and then maybe cruise to Anabelle's like we did last year. I know Jeff enjoyed it. I always enjoy it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It was 90 out today so I thought I'd get the car up to speed by changing the oil in the motor and in the Procharger head unit. Got the oil changed in the motor and then proceeded to change the head unit oil.

Got it drained easily. There's a drain plug that is easily accessible once the car is jacked up. It's a 5/8" hex head that is magnetic. Once removed you have to clean it and ensure that the rubber o-ring is in place before putting it back in.

The plug on the top where you fill it is a different story. Not only is all the charge pipes in the way, but so is the upper radiator hose. After pulling and tugging on the pipes to try to remove them, no luck. They are on there too damn tight.

So...after 2 hrs of dicking around with it, the car is just sitting and probably will continue to do so because I see no way in hell how to fill it without removing all of the piping and radiator hose.

Any ideas on how to get the charge piping off easily? I have the clamps completely loose and I was pulling on it so hard that the entire car was rocking. I even took a small screwdriver and ran it in-between the coupling and pipe to free it up.

I tried loosening it in 3 different areas. No luck.

If I can't get this apart there's no way I'll be able to get oil into the head unit which means I can't even start the car now.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Theres no way to get to the plug at all?

pics would help, but id think you could pull some extortionist moves and atleast get the cap off, then rig up something to add oil. It doesn't take much right? maybe use a turkey baster and some tubing?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

3pcol-002 image by LJO1982 on Photobucket

Part no. 3PCOL-002 .... quick change kit

This is a procharger kit that used to run the drain tube down to a better location, like near your oil pan drain plug. if both plugs are the same size, id think you would use this, or something similar to make fill easier

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post

So...after 2 hrs of dicking around with it, the car is just sitting and probably will continue to do so because I see no way in hell how to fill it without removing all of the piping and radiator hose.

Any ideas on how to get the charge piping off easily? I have the clamps completely loose and I was pulling on it so hard that the entire car was rocking. I even took a small screwdriver and ran it in-between the coupling and pipe to free it up.

I tried loosening it in 3 different areas. No luck.

If I can't get this apart there's no way I'll be able to get oil into the head unit which means I can't even start the car now.

If you figure out a easy way, let me know. I normally just push the bottle tip into the hole. (Spilling some) Then cut a hole in the bottom of the bottom to let the air in.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Come on Jon, you're missing the obvious solution. Just drill a hole through the charge piping that lines up with the fill plug. Then you'll always have access.

Seriously though, maybe some pics would help. It's odd it would be so tight you couldn't remove it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That kit you posted is only for draining it, which I already have but didn't need as draining it was easy.

I'm going to make a tool tmr. Will post pics tomorrow also. I can barely even see the fill plug let alone get at it.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the head unit so access is no problem. The fill plug is on top though and you can barely even see the screw with the charge side piping running right there as well as the radiator hose and power steering and other lines sitting right on top of the head unit.

I plan on using a 3/8" tube connected to the oil container when I do fill it so it doesn't make a mess.

The D1SC takes 6oz of oil and it's ATI's special formulation.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I use a small clear hose when I would add oil to my diff because there was no way a bottle fits under there upside down. It was basically like a air pump clear hose so I could see the oil going down, get a hose like that and add a funnel at the top part and squirm the hose around the piping and add oil I found the hose laying around in my shed so I have no idea where you could buy one but I'm sure a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes has something like that.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    I use a small clear hose when I would add oil to my diff because there was no way a bottle fits under there upside down. It was basically like a air pump clear hose so I could see the oil going down, get a hose like that and add a funnel at the top part and squirm the hose around the piping and add oil I found the hose laying around in my shed so I have no idea where you could buy one but I'm sure a hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes has something like that.
    This is exactly what I plan on doing. The problem is getting the screw unscrewed and getting the dipstick out.

Didn't get a chance to work on it today as I was out on the lake all day. I will be working on it during the week though and plan on having it ready by this next weekend. The car has sat way too long!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Here's what I'm dealing with.

Top view of the charge side piping. About 10" or so directly beneath this but more towards the radiator is where the top of the head unit is.

Here is a pic taken from an angle. You can see the head unit here.

Here you can see it somewhat better. Directly under the radiator hose is where the head unit lies. See where all the hoses are? They sit directly on top of where the screw is that needs to be removed to fill the head unit.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

may be a dumb question....but can you just remove the head unit from the bottom, fill it, and reinstall?

Thread Information