Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

My Procharger Build - Kinda

This is a discussion on My Procharger Build - Kinda within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; On the up side you can leave it as is for now, and change it later if it becomes a ...

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

On the up side you can leave it as is for now, and change it later if it becomes a problem. It wouldn't affect the tune just rerouting the piping if needed.

Relocating the cruise control is easy and looking at your other pictures there is room to get it out of the way into the same place mine is at. That alone may let you rotate up a little more to gain a little clearance. Then just leave the plumbing alone and be mindful of steep dips, puddles, or speed bumps. Another possibility may be some wire reinforced flexible hose to get around the pipe then put the filter on the other side.

These are all things that don't have to be done right away though.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was told that if I had custom charge piping done (different routing than the original tune) I would need it tuned again? Or are you saying just using the same piping and removing the cruise control to gain more clearance and then I wouldn't need a re-tune?

Also - by other side, do you mean routing it toward the battery?

Appreciate the feedback Chris and 9t8z28
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 06-15-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

BTW - I never drive this car in the rain. If I'm in the rain, it's because I got caught in it and it would be a very rare occurrence.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

Sorry I meant the other side of the IC charge pipe on the driver's side, closer to the outside of the fenderwell area.

No, all you'd be looking at changing is the short run of pipe from the intercooler to that hole into the engine bay. There is no way you'll have enough of an impact on the air flow (which is a fixed amount being pushed by the blower) to throw off the tune at all.

The big thing is moving the cruise control module (that rectangular box that is half metal/half black plastic, see my picture above) will make a good size opening in to the fenderwell right next to the supercharger, making it easier to route the piping or raise the filter into that area.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Chris - would you want the filter sitting that low on your car???

My installer has installed several turbochargers and Prochargers and does not like it at all and is pretty disappointed with the fitment of this FMIC from ATI in general.

For what I paid for this, I don't think I should be needing to custom fabricate piping, nor be out the money to do so. Just my opinion.

According to him, even removing the cruise control will not allow enough room to help. The charge pipes need to be completely redone in order for the truck filter to fit properly (out of harms way).

I wish someone with more knowledge than myself would speak directly with the installer on this. I've asked Mark to call, but I am not sure if he has had time to or not yet.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

No I wouldn't drive with my filter that low, that is just asking for something on the road to take it out. At least my filter is in the fenderwell area and I think that is even a little low. So your's being below the bumper itself is definitely not going to work.

That was my question above on where did the guys at Procharger expect the filter to go the way they routed that pipe straight across the bottom of the fenderwell blocking the area. There is no way to do a hard pipe into that space.

What I would try though is moving the cruise control module. Get some wire wraped flexible hose like this one connecting the hat to the filter.

Then you may be able to raise the truck hat inlet a little, and use the flexible hose to bend around the back side, or over depending on where the truck pipe inlet lines up with the IC charge pipe, then attach the filter to that flexible duct up higher into the fenderwell.

This is kind of hard to tell for sure how much space you have between the charge pipe and the outside of the bumper though from the pictures but that would be the easiest idea I can see with the photos I've seen so far.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I wish someone with more knowledge than myself would speak directly with the installer on this. I've asked Mark to call, but I am not sure if he has had time to or not yet.
    I'd be willing to talk with him, but I'm not sure if I would be much help. It sounds like he has done a number of installs with care and resourcefulness and he has the benefit of seeing the situation in person.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

So to conclude with this FMIC I bought:

- air filter does not fit properly because the charge pipe is right in the way
    - charge side 90 degree elbow piping hits the hood on a Camaro and you are expected to actually cut the rib out of the hood for clearance
    - topside of the charge piping does not allow enough room to run a MAF set-up

I really wish I would have not gotten this FMIC. From everything I've been told now after the fact, it's a bad design.

So I am going to need all new piping fabricated.

Well that's about another $500 out of my pocket now for buying this ATI FMIC on top of what I already paid for this.
    - New piping cost
    - 2 vehicles driving out there twice (2.5 hr one-way trip)
    - 7 hrs of my time and getting someone to drive me out there again...twice
    - not being able to drive the car at all until Steve makes another trip back out
    - cost of a re-tune
    - cost of the MAP sensor for SD tune (didn't know SD was the only option)

Had I been made aware of these issues before being sold this, I surely wouldn't have went this route....at all.

Thanks for the idea and your help Chris. He has, and is VERY meticulous about his installs and satisfying the customer.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I plan on linking this thread to Nate. I cannot see any pictures posted while I am at work. Work blocks Photobucket and other picture hosting sites.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

You shouldn't need all new piping fabricated, just the short run in the fender going from the IC to the engine bay hole. Maybe 2 feet, and maybe 100 bucks.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Jon -- I agree that a change in piping in that area is not going to mess with your tune. Being a MAF-less SD tune with FI moving the air, I simply do not see it as an issue unless something is radically altered. Also, you are still running front O2's and can easily watch your fuel trims with a scanner. If something is out of whack, you will see the PCM adding or pulling fuel to compensate. I also assume the IAT sensor is still in there somewhere which would again send a proper air temp signal to the PCM if the piping move affects your incoming temps at all. Obviously, Frost is the master and I defer to his judgment on these issues, but you may be ok with some post tune pipe modifications.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

So pipe #311 is the problem correct? We already altered the #303 tube to work.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If no tune is needed, great. I was told otherwise though. Then my car will just be down for 2-3 more weeks and I'll be out a few more hundred, which I can deal with.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

You are correct, pipe 311 is the culprit, with maybe some slight alterations to pipe 293. Shouldn't take much time to correct.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'll just throw some slicks on it and drive around doing a wheelie the whole time I just wished parts could have came together sooner so there would have been time to correct for this in one trip.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just wanted to say thanks again for everyone's help and assist on this. Everyone has been jumping loops to get parts together and offering great suggestions and help.

Nate has been in constant contact with me and to date has been an awesome guy to work with. I would really highly recommend him to anyone doing an install like this. I saw a few of his other builds and they are really impressive.

Mark has also been following up with me on my issues to date and trying to do everything in his power to make things right with me.

I must say though, I am disappointed that a company as large as ATI would come out with a new FMIC that was supposed to have great reviews and fitment with the f-body's, and this is the end result.

I understand that things of this magnitude do happen when going with a build of this amplitude, but I would have expected not to have to alter several of the pipes that came with the kit. Of course, that is just my opinion and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

Again, thanks to everyone. It will all be worked out, I have no doubts about that.

Impounded
    Enjoy. Great thread. Lots of info an lots of pics with lots of help. Hope this makes a sticky for FMIC info

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Well, the cfm of the truck filter is preferred over the smaller air filters for the D1SC as I understand it.

Yes, Packy was having some trouble with his sitting low as well. I think he even was running a different FMIC. I'm not sure if he ever got his issue resolved. I haven't seen him on the boards lately.
    Yeah mine had the same problem. I used the EPP FMIC kit. THis seems to be specific to any FMIC kit when using the truck inlet form Procharger. That is why I am going to get rid of my truck inlet and fab my own inlet up. I have a band aid on my problem right now. However my TA is parked in FL until I move back to the US around Nov.

So for all that plan on using the truck inlet please don't waste your $$$ on it. It sucks literally...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I might just end up biting the bullet and having all new AL piping fabricated up depending on cost. I don't like the fact that as meticulous as I have kept my car for the last 10 years, the piping for this intercooler set-up is going to consist of different types of pipes, some AL, some steel, some powder-coated, some not, more couplers needed than originally planned, etc.

Nate suggested afterward that he usually uses just a FMIC and then has his own fabricator always just do custom piping for everything. It would have probably been a cheaper route to go as this ATI FMIC isn't exactly cheap (price wise) and it would have fit right to boot.

Steve plans on being in my area again in August/September. I should be able to save once again by the time that time comes around and perhaps go this route instead.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am

So is he going to tune the car with the way it sits now, and then you can get the piping done or are you just going to wait on the whole thing?

I understand the sentiment on keeping the plumbing one material and type. That way it looks consistent, instead of patched.

You should see if Procharger will do anything for you since their kit's piping doesn't work. The intercooler itself looks really good, but a lot of good that did you when you can fit an air filter on the supercharger.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information