Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

My Procharger Build - Kinda

This is a discussion on My Procharger Build - Kinda within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Sweet. Still i would Remove it for the strip just to get more air and put it back on for ...

Impounded
    Sweet. Still i would Remove it for the strip just to get more air and put it back on for shows

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Not sure on the clearances, but is there any way to maybe build an air dam underneath to scavenge air through that way?

^^ This. If the stock air dam could be moved forward to pull air up from under the bumper -- the car is low enough that it would not be noticeable. Otherwise, I would try it as is and just moniter air temps with a scanner if there is still an IAT in all that plumbing.

If it makes you feel better -- during Greg Banish's tuning class last fall, we did an airflow calculation for one of the students that was having a cooling issue. Based on that example, there is probably more air than you would initially think. I believe that someone on here might be an engineer or something and could probably figure out the flow through those openings at any given speed.

Last thought would be to install a deflector on each side of the intercooler to push any air entering the bumper cover through the intercooler. Assuming you leave the air dam in place, your radiator would still receive clean air from underneath with this option.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ This. If the stock air dam could be moved forward to pull air up from under the bumper -- the car is low enough that it would not be noticeable. Otherwise, I would try it as is and just moniter air temps with a scanner if there is still an IAT in all that plumbing.

If it makes you feel better -- during Greg Banish's tuning class last fall, we did an airflow calculation for one of the students that was having a cooling issue. Based on that example, there is probably more air than you would initially think. I believe that someone on here might be an engineer or something and could probably figure out the flow through those openings at any given speed.

Last thought would be to install a deflector on each side of the intercooler to push any air entering the bumper cover through the intercooler. Assuming you leave the air dam in place, your radiator would still receive clean air from underneath with this option.
    I had to do something similar when I put the small block 400 in my 69 Corvair. I had to use a Mack truck radiator laying flat in the front trunk compartment and custom build an air dam to bring the air up through, and then baffle the inner fenders to let the air out. There was only about a 2 inch gap the whole way across the front to bring the air up. It worked quite well though. I don't think it ever saw temps above 180.

If you do build an air dam, make sure to throw up some pics Jon!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Further update:

Called Bob today...again. He has been the liaison for me contacting Chris, who makes the Aster tensioner bracket that I ordered from Mark. This STILL has not been shipped, even though I ordered it from Mark over 2 months ago now. This is getting REALLY frustrating to say the least.

Chris told Bob that he is next day shipping it to Nate this week and it will be in Nate's hands this week. I'll believe it when I see it!!!

The crank pulley is off the car so the car is just sitting right now. The ATI pinning kit was not in the box from ATI so Nate is waiting on that also, as well as the elbow that was missing.

Mark is supposed to be getting these items to Nate ASAP.

We basically have 5 working days now left before Steve shows up. It is probably going to take a miracle for this to happen now.

I discussed some options with Nate today. The tune may have to be delayed 3 weeks or longer until Steve comes back again if the parts can't make it to Nate in time.

The custom piping off the charge side cannot be started yet bc the car cannot move until Nate gets the pinning kit, so that is something else being held up. Great to know that ATI designs a FMIC where the piping HITS the hood of a Camaro and the remedy is having to cut the strengthening brace in the hood. Really???

Not looking good boys...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Just take the hood off. You don't need one.

You should have known, being an engineer and all, you've got to figure Murphy's law into everything. Which doubles the amount of work, money, and time to do something.

Seriously though, I hope it all comes together for you. I would be raising hell if it were me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I figured 2 months would be enough time considering most people can have it done in a few weeks...kind of hard to do without parts though I guess.

When researching, not a single thing was mentioned or said to me about this FMIC being a f'd up design on Camaro's. After I bought it, someone posted over on tech and then the pictures went up on Bob's site about the modifications needed. Go figure. The FMIC fits fine on TA's. Apparently no one knew the design was bad, not even ATI, until people with Camaro's started to fit them up.

Maybe ATI needs some new engineers

Worst case Steve will have to flash tune the car for me so I can drive it home at least and then I'll have to drive it back out there again when Steve flies out again.

So all in all, I am just out another $80 in gas and my time. Oh, and not being able to enjoy 10K worth of parts for yet another month.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Same thing happened to me when I was installing my rear. No one told me a Global West Trac Link torque arm wouldn't mount to the rear. Thankfully, I was able to make it work....with some engineering of my own. It's a pain spending the time to get everything scheduled, and then have things out of your control throw everything off.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

In other news... Jeff is now driving his stalled auto and is loving it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Finally, some good news! Nate fabricated a tube for the charge side to be able to use a black coupling instead of the 90 degree elbow that came with the kit.

Here is the tube he measured and cut.

A top view of the fit-up with the new tube cut.

Side view.

And here she is

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Nice!

BTW: I just had to bust your chops a bit with my last post. What are friends for?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The blue tube will obviously be changed out with a black one

Thanks Jeff...I did laugh.

All we need now is a pinning kit and we're in business again I think!

black
    1998 trans am

Pinning kit is taken care of.

Nate has it and all is good I hope.

nice install for sure.

Thanks,
    Mark

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks again Mark!

Impounded
    Progress

black
    1998 trans am

yeah it has been a tough one for all involved.

I am glad to see it coming together for him.

Thanks,
    Mark

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Nice! How close is the hood to that MAF?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

There is no bracing on the hood in that location so there should be ample clearance. All I know is the hood closes

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    There is no bracing on the hood in that location so there should be ample clearance. All I know is the hood closes
    Haha yeah I guess it would be hard too see it with it closed ..
    I just remember there is'nt a whole lot of room there..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It is definitely a tight fit

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

More good news!!

New seal and crank pinning kit has been installed. Pictures later tonight.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information