Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

My APS 402ci twinturbo build..pics

This is a discussion on My APS 402ci twinturbo build..pics within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by zero_proto i was not being an ass, i just said "serious?" it confused me. If i were ...

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    i was not being an ass, i just said "serious?" it confused me. If i were to be an ass i would have said something along the lines of "are you f'in serious" or "you gotta be kidding me, wow....." but alas no such thing happened.

tnt it was you awhile back that was looking at a single setup right, i think you had asked me about the aps setup?????

I have had my kit for about a year, and it still is not on. If it was not for getting robbed it would be built already.
    If you get a different blow off valve i would love to hear it. I am figuring i am just going to vent the ones that come with the kit into the atmosphere.
    dont think it was me askin you about the kit since i was one of the first to order and receive my kit. but at any rate, the blowoff valves, even though they are routed into the intake tubes, you can still hear them nice and loud. i will be changin over to something else eventually though.
    sucks for getting robbed...sorry to hear it. hope ya get back on your feet soon enough. goodluck.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    dont think it was me askin you about the kit since i was one of the first to order and receive my kit. but at any rate, the blowoff valves, even though they are routed into the intake tubes, you can still hear them nice and loud. i will be changin over to something else eventually though.
    sucks for getting robbed...sorry to hear it. hope ya get back on your feet soon enough. goodluck.
    oh, i just remember someone asking me, got it mixed up....

Yeah i was one of the first 50 orders

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

TNT, you used an Iron Block, correct? Do you (or anyone else) think that an Aluminum block would be able to withstand the boost?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    TNT, you used an Iron Block, correct? Do you (or anyone else) think that an Aluminum block would be able to withstand the boost?
    No doubt. The aluminum blocks are just more expensive...

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

nope...its all aluminum. im not plannin on running any more than 12psi so the added cost was worth it to save on a few lbs.

teal

if you plan on runnning high boost on an aluminum block you will need to run a girdle on it, otherwise your block will flex and eventually break something.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Iron blocks are stronger than aluminum.Aluminum is lighter. I wanted stronger don't care about lighter. I figure will have too much power for any sane street car anyway. A bit more weight is no big deal.You drop a bit with the required k member but can more back from the turbo kit. Oh well...such is life. For light car I have my talon race car project.It should weigh maybe 2500 pounds with no driver.

I am also in the got APS kit last fall category.I could have slapped it on the near stock motor but waited as plan on a lot more power than the stock motor can handle.

At least max potential power. I have a similar engine to Tnt. 408 iron block. Callies crank and rods, wiseco 9.5 to one custom pistons,hellfire rings,stronger piston pins, arp mains,rod bolts,head studs. Afr 225s. Fast 90/nw 90 tb. gt7 lingenfelter cam ,1.8 yt rockers. Zex wet kit if need a bit more on top or to spool up the turbo really quick when feel like it. Currently m6 with tex twin but going to 4l80e with stall next season I think. Dana 60 is planned for rear end.
    I might big might..get my 408 and turbos on my car in the next few weeks. No guarantees and car goes away nov 1 here. For sure should have it up and about in spring. Have other projects that have to work on so need it done for sure by then. Planning on running lower boost until finish fuel system ,add on alc injection and get that new rearend.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I just didn't want any ugly rust under the hood like I did with my El Camino's 305 or my Suburban's 350

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

I just didn't want any ugly rust under the hood like I did with my El Camino's 305 or my Suburban's 350
    you or whom ever builds your motor can coat it or paint it for rust protection. thats not a big deal. Iron Blocks are stronger and will withstand a ton of boost so if you dont mind the added weight, its worth it.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

you or whom ever builds your motor can coat it or paint it for rust protection. thats not a big deal. Iron Blocks are stronger and will withstand a ton of boost so if you dont mind the added weight, its worth it.
    Paint it orange and tell people you just have an old 350 in there lol

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Well, I wasn't planning on more than 8-10 psi, so I think I'll be fine with an aluminum block.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

You can take aluminum blocks up pretty high as well. And they are lighter.And you don't have to paint them.

Those pics look familiar. I still love that lid setup.

teal

Well, I wasn't planning on more than 8-10 psi, so I think I'll be fine with an aluminum block.
    get that girdle just incase you decide to turn up the boost though. I am getting one, but i am going to slay the hell out of my block, not the current one but an ls6 block

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Girdle is serious overkill at low boost levels. Many many aluminum block cars running higher than 10 to 15psi no girdle.But hey its your money.

teal

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    Girdle is serious overkill at low boost levels. Many many aluminum block cars running higher than 10 to 15psi no girdle.But hey its your money.
    i told him just incase he runs it higher, i plan on pushing every pound i can, and 300 extra bucks is not that bad

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    get that girdle just incase you decide to turn up the boost though. I am getting one, but i am going to slay the hell out of my block, not the current one but an ls6 block
    Got a link?

teal

NBM
    1998 Z-28

That girdle is pretty cool, glad you posted that link.

Hey TNT do/did you have problems with your piping hitting on the sway bars like I know a lot of APS f-bod's had trouble with?

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by 346ci View Post
    That girdle is pretty cool, glad you posted that link.

Hey TNT do/did you have problems with your piping hitting on the sway bars like I know a lot of APS f-bod's had trouble with?
    i left my sway bar off cause it wouldnt fit. but i have a huge Spohn sway bar up front and figured that was the reason for it. ive since read the same than they are having trouble with the stocker aswell. ill need to figure something out there or just live without the sway bar.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information