Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Magnacharger on 4th gen info please...thanks!

This is a discussion on Magnacharger on 4th gen info please...thanks! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Video doesn't really give it any justice at all, but non-the-less. I'll have some better video come spring time when ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Video doesn't really give it any justice at all, but non-the-less. I'll have some better video come spring time when she sees daylight again.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Sounds good to me. When do I get a ride?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Sounds good to me. When do I get a ride?
    When you invite me to AUS

Forgot I had this one.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 99CANADAHAWK View Post
    Thanks for the info 35th , I may just get lucky and not blow up my engine on the way to get tuned LOL !!
    I was sitting around last night and for whatever reason this question popped in my head again and I thought about it more. My initial reply was for a Procharger, which is a centrifugal S/C. You can drive around town normal just like you would without a S/C with this type. Therefore, you won't be building boost at lower RMP.

With a roots style you'd be building boost much sooner/lower RPM's. You may want to wait on getting a confirmation on what I said about being able to drive a root's style blower on stock injectors before a tune without damaging anything.

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Thanks Again 35th ! , Ive been on tech too asking some questions and it seems that it might be ok to drive as long as I don`t get on it WOT with stock injectors . I may end up just taking everthing to the shop to get the work done . . .I really don`t want to so I can save some $$$ but better to do it right and safer I guess . BTW car sounds brutally EVIL !! thanks for the good info .

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    When you invite me to AUS
    Whenever I get more vacation days I'll be going back to Vegas and Europe if interested

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

Just looked the kit up, it does come with new injectors and a micro flash tool to reflash your computer once installed, also included is new fuel rails with factory push lock conncetions. So as fars as having to run your stock injectors you shouldnt have to worry about that. As for the tune provided i would only use that as a means to get you to the shop that will be tuning it.

as far as the appeal goes over the center at least for me, like 35th said with a roots its pretty much boost on demand, a center builds into it. Now, some shops have been doing some pretty neat stuff with smaller pullies and wastegates on centers to bring the boost in quicker and then bleed off the excess once it is reached. So as far as that goes in the future that point could be mute. Guess we will see if reliability comes into play on that one or not. second, and i know some will prolly find this stupid but i like the look over the center once setup. Its a much cleaner look than with a center setup. I personally don't like the piping that has to be run to go from intake system to the center to the motor. Third, due to the work that has to go into it not alot of people out there run them on our cars so in running one you have an even more personalized ride on your hands. Like i said though these are my reasons.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by matt evans View Post
    thats what i like most about the magnacharger setup. It already comes with everything you need were as with the procharger setup you still have to buy a balancer, fuel pump, injectors. Yea the procharger makes more power, but i like the numbers you get from the maggie in the lower rpm range. Torque wins races not Horsepower.
    I agree, it does, but so does traction. It's going to be a challenge for you to have any building boost at low RPM.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

+1 to the above, ive been racking this one around for a minute since contemplating this setup.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have 4.11 gears and my car dead-hooks in 1st from a slow roll. That was with brand new drag radials and a built suspension that has been tweaked. Once the tires got 6K miles on them and the temperature dropped outside a little, I had traction issues until I hit about 60MPH. I'll be upgrading to Mickey Thompson's come spring and hoping that solves the traction issue I've been having as of lately.

I'm not opposed to a roots style blower at all. In fact, I would encourage anyone who wants this set-up to go for it. I personally wouldn't ever hack my car up to get one to fit though. There is only 1 pipe that is visually seen on the centrifugal set-up, and that's the pipe running from the discharge side of the intercooler to the intake. IMO, it looks pretty clean. Everything else is hidden down low and cannot be seen unless you crawl under the car. Of course the roots style blower looks badass. How often do you have your hood open though? Unless you're doing car shows, I wouldn't let looks alone make a decision.

I also like getting the same or better gas mileage while I drive around town and still having 500+rwhp at my disposal. Not sure what gas mileage is like on a roots style set-up. Anyone know? Gas isn't exactly cheap these days. Of course, for some gas mileage isn't a concern, but I know when I get on my car I can EASILY go through a tank of gas in a day so it's nice to be able to conserve some if I choose to.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

You do have a damn clean setup in that maro 35th. Not sure on the gas mileage either. GMHTP did an article "Going AWOL" on a T/A with a maggie in it where i think it mentions his MPGs. As far as cutting up the car goes as long as your not hacking away blindly I dont see an issue with it, like tub/minitubs. Id rather install them then hammer out the room with a BFH to get bigger tires to fit.

As far as traction goes im thinking minitubbed 335s with a narrowed axle or 12.5inw DRs LS1 camino ran 335s on the nymph before it passed and has just minitubbed the replacemetn body, says he has plenty of room now. So who knows maybe thatll be the answer. 35th let me know how switching over to the mickey's works for you. I'd love to hear how they fair on an s/c car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

They'll probably work great for him, but only last one, two years tops.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MudStainKILLA View Post
    You do have a damn clean setup in that maro 35th. Not sure on the gas mileage either. GMHTP did an article "Going AWOL" on a T/A with a maggie in it where i think it mentions his MPGs. As far as cutting up the car goes as long as your not hacking away blindly I dont see an issue with it, like tub/minitubs. Id rather install them then hammer out the room with a BFH to get bigger tires to fit.

As far as traction goes im thinking minitubbed 335s with a narrowed axle or 12.5inw DRs LS1 camino ran 335s on the nymph before it passed and has just minitubbed the replacemetn body, says he has plenty of room now. So who knows maybe thatll be the answer. 35th let me know how switching over to the mickey's works for you. I'd love to hear how they fair on an s/c car.
    Jeremy already mentioned to me that with his new set-up he had in Nymph, he had 0 traction with his 335 street tires

You definitely need a drag radial with that kind of power and a built suspension. He had the suspension, just not the drag radials. Downfall of running drag radials is they only last 1-2 years depending on how much you drive the car.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Or in my case, this is my 5th season coming up.

But ideally, traction wise they are done after two years. There's tread, but no traction.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

well guess that settles that question then, DRs it is.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I was sitting around last night and for whatever reason this question popped in my head again and I thought about it more. My initial reply was for a Procharger, which is a centrifugal S/C. You can drive around town normal just like you would without a S/C with this type. Therefore, you won't be building boost at lower RMP.

With a roots style you'd be building boost much sooner/lower RPM's. You may want to wait on getting a confirmation on what I said about being able to drive a root's style blower on stock injectors before a tune without damaging anything.
    Hey man I like superchargers any way you look at it I'm a little partial to the maggie because of the instant boost and torque it delivers. I just wanted to interject a small correction. The maggie will also NOT build boost under part throttle. Reason being is that inside the blower it has a bypass valve that opens at low throttle position to allow the air to just blow by the blower. This is how it still gets an emissions pass for all 50 states. Not knocking either choice just throwing some facts out there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Hey man I like superchargers any way you look at it I'm a little partial to the maggie because of the instant boost and torque it delivers. I just wanted to interject a small correction. The maggie will also NOT build boost under part throttle. Reason being is that inside the blower it has a bypass valve that opens at low throttle position to allow the air to just blow by the blower. This is how it still gets an emissions pass for all 50 states. Not knocking either choice just throwing some facts out there.
    Yea I read that the other day. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information