Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Magna charger for F body!!

This is a discussion on Magna charger for F body!! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Magnuson is agreat kit, takes 90% of the guess work out of putting the car together and it does it ...

silver
    1969 Mailbu

Magnuson Supercharger

Magnuson is agreat kit, takes 90% of the guess work out of putting the car together and it does it in the shortest peroid of time. There is another 15+ RWHP to be had with dynoing, tuning, induction, and exhaust mods, all on a strong stock motor.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Cost

The price still bothers me, it costs more than a new engine.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Ya I'm with ya. I don't care for the price either.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    My Z06 almost has 6K miles on it. Practically a new engine. I can have my Maggie installed and tuned for $9,000. It will be putting about 550 to 600HP to the rear with my current mods. Where can I get a drive away engine package for $9,000 that makes 700+ HP at the crank?
    02' Z06 EB/EB 4.6K miles, Longtubes, Off-road X, Pypes X-back, Blackwing CAI, Comp. Cam 238/240-.605/.609-112LSA, Comp. Beehive Springs, Comp. Titanium Retainers, Comp. Perf. Push Rods, Comp. Billet Double Roller Timing Chain, Hurst Short Throw, Cray 19"/20" w/ Toyo Proxes4 265/30/19's & 295/30/20's

You're still only paying for the blower and tuning. Thats a big chunk of change when you figure HP per dollar.
    You are probably making an easy 450 HP to the wheels without it. To raise that only 150 HP for $9 G's is rather pricey when you put that into perspective. And you are still on a stock non-forged short block.

Guess it depends on how you want to look at it but from my point of view thats not much of a bargain.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You're still only paying for the blower and tuning. Thats a big chunk of change when you figure HP per dollar.
    You are probably making an easy 450 HP to the wheels without it. To raise that only 150 HP for $9 G's is rather pricey when you put that into perspective. And you are still on a stock non-forged short block.

Guess it depends on how you want to look at it but from my point of view thats not much of a bargain.
    No doubt that it is alot of money but I can run 8lbs. of intercooled boost safely on the stock engine. My point is that it will cost you more than $9,000 just to build a forged short block. I priced it out taking my Vette to a 406ci or so all forged and go with a quality crank then I'm looking at 20K for about 550RWHP. My last Z06 put down 695RWHP with a forged 346ci and ATI Procharger. 30K + invested in build.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

When you finish with all the bolt ons, the HP doesn't come cheap after that. If money is the main concern then build a forged engine that can handle a 150 shot.

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    No doubt that it is alot of money but I can run 8lbs. of intercooled boost safely on the stock engine. My point is that it will cost you more than $9,000 just to build a forged short block. I priced it out taking my Vette to a 406ci or so all forged and go with a quality crank then I'm looking at 20K for about 550RWHP. My last Z06 put down 695RWHP with a forged 346ci and ATI Procharger. 30K + invested in build.
    Ya unfortunately LSX motors haven't had the luxury of being around for 50+ years yet so they are not cheap to build at the moment.

It's all good. Not knocking power adders, they can make stupid power pretty easily. If I ever decided to go that route I would probably do things a little differently. All it takes is money, how fast do ya want to go??

For now I'm pretty happy doing it with the 14 PSI god gave me Besides,,,,, I like a challenge.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

How much of that 30K was the installation?

silver
    1969 Mailbu

My Z06 almost has 6K miles on it. Practically a new engine. I can have my Maggie installed and tuned for $9,000. It will be putting about 550 to 600HP to the rear with my current mods. Where can I get a drive away engine package for $9,000 that makes 700+ HP at the crank?
    I bought a 11K mile LS1 w/6speed from Ebay for $6550 delivered for my 69 malibu, added a new still in box GTO Magnuson Package from EBay for an additional $5600 delivered. Where can you go for that kind of power and still get 26 mpg, it idles, and it looks GREAT! The kit even comes with new tuning from magnuson at no additional cost, send your ECM and they reprogram it or you can opt for the kit that has the reader and reprogrammer in the kit and you do it on the car. The kit with great directions are so easy my 16 year old daughter can put it together, not knocking girls and cars! This is my second Magnuson installation, first was in a 70 Nova.
    Last edited by henrysangret; 01-19-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    How much of that 30K was the installation?
    A little over 9K.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by henrysangret View Post
    I bought a 11K mile LS1 w/6speed from Ebay for $6550 delivered for my 69 malibu, added a new still in box GTO Magnuson Package from EBay for an additional $5600 delivered. Where can you go for that kind of power and still get 26 mpg, it idles, and it looks GREAT! The kit even comes with new tuning from magnuson at no additional cost, send your ECM and they reprogram it or you can opt for the kit that has the reader and reprogrammer in the kit and you do it on the car. The kit with great directions are so easy my 16 year old daughter can put it together, not knocking girls and cars! This is my second Magnuson installation, first was in a 70 Nova.
    I'm in agreement with you man. It is FIREBIRDJONES that thinks we're crazy.

I'm in agreement with you man. It is FIREBIRDJONES that thinks we're crazy.

silver
    1969 Mailbu

QUOTE=BLACKNIGHT03Z06;1785632]I'm in agreement with you man. It is FIREBIRDJONES that thinks we're crazy.[/QUOTE]

He needs to drive one and realize the drivability! Its like driving a hot bigblock but one that idles and doesnt have the nose of the car nailed to the pavement,, what a rush!!!! First kit was not intercooled this one is, this should just get better!! The kit came with a new Fuel pump voltage booster that is really a good idea, you dont have to run a 255 lph fuel pump and only use it ocassionally, then have the pump burn out from over use, lost 2 on my Nova.

There is a guy selling Magnuson products over EBay from his home in Montana his prices are $1500+ less than everone else, he used to work for them so he knows what he's doing!

Henry
    Last edited by henrysangret; 01-20-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: New Photo

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

A little over 9K.
    Paying someone 9K to install parts on your car is insane!

silver
    1969 Mailbu

Paying someone 9K to install parts on your car is insane!
    Some people are not mechanically inclined or have the time, so if you need something someone has to do it. Yeah $9K is a little rich but at least you get a guarantee and it will work when delivered, (if you picked the right installer).

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Some people are not mechanically inclined or have the time, so if you need something someone has to do it. Yeah $9K is a little rich but at least you get a guarantee and it will work when delivered, (if you picked the right installer).
    You don't have to explain it to me. It would be nice to have the money to be able to pay someone else to install the parts but I would never do it.

silver
    1969 Mailbu

You don't have to explain it to me. It would be nice to have the money to be able to pay someone else to install the parts but I would never do it.
    Agree, half the fun in cars is doing the work and seeing how it works out

QUOTE=BLACKNIGHT03Z06;1785632]I'm in agreement with you man. It is FIREBIRDJONES that thinks we're crazy.
    He needs to drive one and realize the drivability! Its like driving a hot bigblock but one that idles and doesnt have the nose of the car nailed to the pavement,, what a rush!!!! First kit was not intercooled this one is, this should just get better!! The kit came with a new Fuel pump voltage booster that is really a good idea, you dont have to run a 255 lph fuel pump and only use it ocassionally, then have the pump burn out from over use, lost 2 on my Nova.

There is a guy selling Magnuson products over EBay from his home in Montana his prices are $1500+ less than everone else, he used to work for them so he knows what he's doing!

Henry[/QUOTE]
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I've driven power adder cars. Ya they are okay, even did an install on a procharger on a mustang for a customer. I am well aware of the potential. I have a hot bigblock car thats naturally aspirated I drive regularly. Even with 638 HP on tap it still doesn't compare to some of the power adder cars nowadays. But I'm okay with that. I like doing it the hard way.
    As soon as you guys realize I'm not knocking power adders and understand I prefer to make power NA you'll understand. It's not easy and more of a challenge.

The chevelle has ran a best of 11.40 at 118 with a race weight of 4,108 lbs. all motor. Made some tweaks and changes to squeak a little more time out of it getting ever so close to 10's on motor only. It's not easy, you have to work hard for it.

Sure I could put a procharger, or a small shot of nitrous on there and run 10's easily enough since it's just a little pump gas motor. But where is the fun in that???

silver
    1969 Mailbu

Henry
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I've driven power adder cars. Ya they are okay, even did an install on a procharger on a mustang for a customer. I am well aware of the potential. I have a hot bigblock car thats naturally aspirated I drive regularly. Even with 638 HP on tap it still doesn't compare to some of the power adder cars nowadays. But I'm okay with that. I like doing it the hard way.
    As soon as you guys realize I'm not knocking power adders and understand I prefer to make power NA you'll understand. It's not easy and more of a challenge.

The chevelle has ran a best of 11.40 at 118 with a race weight of 4,108 lbs. all motor. Made some tweaks and changes to squeak a little more time out of it getting ever so close to 10's on motor only. It's not easy, you have to work hard for it.

Sure I could put a procharger, or a small shot of nitrous on there and run 10's easily enough since it's just a little pump gas motor. But where is the fun in that???[/QUOTE]

Yea gotta agree that making a NA work is time consuming and fun - if you have the time. Had many cars turbo, NA, and SC. NA was most work but rewarding, had 70 NA Nova 366 SB running mid to low 12's not very consistant, did gobs of suspension work and tubbed it 3" got more consistant but couldnt break out of the 12's until I changed motors to a 99 LS1 and auto, stock ran in the 13's, with tweekin got into 12's (upper12's). Didnt want to go the turbo charger, plumbing route looked at procharger and alot of the other roots style, saw the Magnacharger on a UTube video and was sold. With alot of help (early in Magnacharger history) from them car ran 10.36 bst (me driving it to the track) tomuch gear and but not enough tire had to drive off the line still lighting up the tires at the 100 ft mark what a ball!! Had a run in with a bigwheel drivers training wanna be doing parking backups, guess he couldnt see my House of Colors Chrome Yellow paint job. Parted everything out and started on the Malibu.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information