Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Magna charger for F body!!

This is a discussion on Magna charger for F body!! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones Ouch,,,in that case I wouldn't be interested. I personally would just rather go with a procharger,,,no ...

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ouch,,,in that case I wouldn't be interested. I personally would just rather go with a procharger,,,no hood or cowl mods needed,,,,and they have the same power potential,,, and they are much cheaper.
    I would have to disagree with you. I had an ATI Procharger on my last Z06. If you shop around the price difference between a Maggie and an F series Procharger isn't that great. The big difference is the power curve. All centrifugals are designed to make full boost/power at the top of the RPM range. The Maggie comes on strong with full boost/power at 3,500 RPM's and continues all the way to max RPM. Plus the Maggie is a positive displacement supercharger and loves big lopy cams. Not so with centrifugals. Look at my sig. for my current Z06. I'm going with the Maggie at 8lbs. of boost on a stock bottom LS6 and will be putting right at 600 to the rear. If you line it up beside my last Z06 from a dead stop or the typical roll and I will be ahead up to at least 160 which is the enough said speed for me. Plus do an extensive research on belt life and you will see that the 8 rib drive system is a must on the ATI so you have to add that to the cost comparison. Both systems are great and I will have more feedback when I get my Maggie installed.
    Last edited by BLACKNIGHT03Z06; 12-20-2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: add text
    02' Z06 EB/EB 4.6K miles, Longtubes, Off-road X, Pypes X-back, Blackwing CAI, Comp. Cam 238/240-.605/.609-112LSA, Comp. Beehive Springs, Comp. Titanium Retainers, Comp. Perf. Push Rods, Comp. Billet Double Roller Timing Chain, Hurst Short Throw, Cray 19"/20" w/ Toyo Proxes4 265/30/19's & 295/30/20's

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

is the maggie safe with high compression as well? im running 10.7 to 1 ...hummmmm that would loook prettty on top of my engine

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    is the maggie safe with high compression as well? im running 10.7 to 1 ...hummmmm that would loook prettty on top of my engine
    On our LS based engine with stock bottom ends the 6-8lbs. of innercooled boost is about the max you want to go when working with the stock compression. If you plan to run more than 8lbs. of boost then you will have to look at upgrading the the crank, pistons, rods, heads, intake, and fuel system. Hope this helps.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    On our LS based engine with stock bottom ends the 6-8lbs. of innercooled boost is about the max you want to go when working with the stock compression. If you plan to run more than 8lbs. of boost then you will have to look at upgrading the the crank, pistons, rods, heads, intake, and fuel system. Hope this helps.
    im not stock.......fully forged lingenfelter 383 package which runs 10.7 to 1 compression

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

The ones for our fbodys nolonger need mods to the cowl

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTY JERZY View Post
    The ones for our fbodys nolonger need mods to the cowl
    ya you do. on LM Speeds website they say that you have to cut the cowl a little and they give you a plate to put in. im looking into putting this on my car next winter.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2002 Firehawk

Just my .02 - I ran a '06 GTO with a Magi running 5 to 6 lbs - Mine was a '02 Firehawk with stock 5.7L with a Procharger running 8 lbs - we were even off the line - he got about a car length at the 1/8 and I pulled past him by 1 plus at the end of the 1/4

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by mghawk57 View Post
    Just my .02 - I ran a '06 GTO with a Magi running 5 to 6 lbs - Mine was a '02 Firehawk with stock 5.7L with a Procharger running 8 lbs - we were even off the line - he got about a car length at the 1/8 and I pulled past him by 1 plus at the end of the 1/4
    That sounds right. You are about 300lbs lighter than the goat and if both of you have stock beef on the rear then you also have better traction. I guarantee you that if you mirror your car with a Maggie and your driving skills with that same same race and the Maggie wins by a car every time. Bro I'm not knocking ATI Procharger because hands down it is the best centrifugal for the buck IMHO. I'm just saying that the Maggie is a better alternative for usable street racing power on a stock bottom end LS engine. Congrats on the kill.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I agree w/ you as far as upgrading the pistons & rods, but the stock crank will hold up very well.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The off idle tq. is nice in the maggie, but the fact is, the centris run just as fast on the street and the track despite the down low difference. To be honest, there are more faster centris on the track by far. That difference isn't even really there if the centri car is a stalled auto ether. If both cars are moving, even if it's not a stalled auto, going down a gear brings a centri right into it's sweet spot. The maggies on our cars fall off up top, and the centris make more peak and up top with the same amount of boost. The nutso torque down low is sweet, but from a low speed on the street, it can be hard to work with. I'm not saying I dislike the maggies at all, they are a blast to drive, but they are not the perfect choice. Throw heat-soak and high IATS in there too, cuz it's a very real issue.

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The off idle tq. is nice in the maggie, but the fact is, the centris run just as fast on the street and the track despite the down low difference. To be honest, there are more faster centris on the track by far. That difference isn't even really there if the centri car is a stalled auto ether. If both cars are moving, even if it's not a stalled auto, going down a gear brings a centri right into it's sweet spot. The maggies on our cars fall off up top, and the centris make more peak and up top with the same amount of boost. The nutso torque down low is sweet, but from a low speed on the street, it can be hard to work with. I'm not saying I dislike the maggies at all, they are a blast to drive, but they are not the perfect choice. Throw heat-soak and high IATS in there too, cuz it's a very real issue.
    I don't disagree with you at all. It all comes down to what you want to do with your car. I started with an '01 WS6 and went down the list of bolt on mods. I could hang with any of the bone stock C5's but got smacked around a few times by '03+ SVT's and '02+ Z06's. I started adding up the cost of the build sheets to equate lbs. per RWHP and figured out that the Z06 was the better investment for me. With the CAI's that are available for the Z06's heat soak isn't as bad and the fact that I can get 335/25/20's out back means that the added torque of the Maggie down low is manageable. I guess when all is said and done just choose your flavor of FI and enjoy the rush

Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    ya you do. on LM Speeds website they say that you have to cut the cowl a little and they give you a plate to put in. im looking into putting this on my car next winter.
    From experience 1998 Z28, Ya cut the cowl, ya cut the hood & I changed to Speed Density because of not enough room for Mass Air.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

....With the CAI's that are available for the Z06's heat soak isn't as bad ....

I am talking about the blower itself; no CAI can fix that. Make 3 dyno pulls within 10-15 mins and watch the power fall off on every pull as the blower heats up and the PCM is forced to pull time so that it doesn't knock. The Kenne Bell units are HORRIBLE as they have no bypass, so you ride around always compressing. Cruise IATs are in the mid 150s in the summertime. That is WITH their A2W IC.

All of that aside; I really like the PD blowers, I just don't want someone reading to think that they are the holy grail of FI, they have just as many issues or more as every other type.

...But they are sure are fun when you mash it at 2K and get pinned (or spin) right up through the band.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I am talking about the blower itself; no CAI can fix that. Make 3 dyno pulls within 10-15 mins and watch the power fall off on every pull as the blower heats up and the PCM is forced to pull time so that it doesn't knock. The Kenne Bell units are HORRIBLE as they have no bypass, so you ride around always compressing. Cruise IATs are in the mid 150s in the summertime. That is WITH their A2W IC.

All of that aside; I really like the PD blowers, I just don't want someone reading to think that they are the holy grail of FI, they have just as many issues or more as every other type.

...But they are sure are fun when you mash it at 2K and get pinned (or spin) right up through the band.
    No bypass on the KB's ???

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

The discussion was about the Maggie no one ever mentioned Kenne Bell The new Maggies have a by pass valve. When I upgraded my ATI D1SC at 14psi from a six rib set up to an 8 rib set up. I then had it dyno tuned. The second run produced the most power and all runs after that produced less power. Heat soak affects the engine just as much if not more so than the supercharger. My current NA Z06 was dyno tuned after adding a cam by the same shop. The second run again produced the most power with runs three and four producing less power. As I stated in one of my posts it simply depends on what you plan to do with your car. Your right there isn't one brand or one type that is the holy grail of FI. If we were simply talking about the highest power per pound of boost we would have to change the topic to Turbos as there is no parasitic loss at all with them. But if you want that old school big aggressive lopy cam, then the centrifugals and turbos are out of the question. I already have the big lopy cam and don't want to back up and punt so it's a Maggie for me

pewter

The discussion was about the Maggie no one ever mentioned Kenne Bell The new Maggies have a by pass valve. When I upgraded my ATI D1SC at 14psi from a six rib set up to an 8 rib set up. I then had it dyno tuned. The second run produced the most power and all runs after that produced less power. Heat soak affects the engine just as much if not more so than the supercharger. My current NA Z06 was dyno tuned after adding a cam by the same shop. The second run again produced the most power with runs three and four producing less power. As I stated in one of my posts it simply depends on what you plan to do with your car. Your right there isn't one brand or one type that is the holy grail of FI. If we were simply talking about the highest power per pound of boost we would have to change the topic to Turbos as there is no parasitic loss at all with them. But if you want that old school big aggressive lopy cam, then the centrifugals and turbos are out of the question. I already have the big lopy cam and don't want to back up and punt so it's a Maggie for me

so your saying a maggie would also work great with my setup?

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    so your saying a maggie would also work great with my setup?
    What are your cam specs? The Kenne Bell has spent most of it R&D for the blue oval. The Magnusson MagnaCharger is designed for our LS based engines. If your cam is a 112LSA or less and in the high.580's or .600's then the Magnusson would be great for your set up. Just keep in mind that if you don't have the clutch, suspension, and sufficient tires, then all of that down low torque will be useless.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

for everyone wanting to hear it in action...

and this guy has like 4 other videos outside the car too...sounds so sick!

2000 trans am

that set up would be fun with a stalled automatic..

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

The real difference between the positive-displacement and centrifugal blowers is the overall ability to make more power, in which the centri holds the crown. Depends on what your looking for though. If your just looking for a potent street setup a maggie will work wonderful. Gobs of low-end torque for the street making for lots of fun. If your looking for something that virtually has no limits, a centri is where it's at!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information