Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Magna charger for F body!!

This is a discussion on Magna charger for F body!! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Frost No they are not quiet at all! Check out this video.... pretty sweet vid too of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No they are not quiet at all!
    Check out this video.... pretty sweet vid too of a procharged 383: Sweet Video of Jarrell's Procharged 1979 C10 forged LS1 383 Swap

No they don't. Being belt driven means nothing, one is a centrifugal and the other is a roots style. The magna chargers will crush a centri down low. The prochargers (making the same 8-9 psi of a magnacharger) MIGHT make 2-4 psi by 3500 whereas the magnacharger will be making full boost BEFORE 2000 RPMS. Yeah you read that right; 500lbs of tq just off idle, like 1800 RPMs! The Magnachargers that fit under our hood are only good for about 500-525rwhp but like I said, they make MAD power just off idle. Awesome for a street car, especially an M6, and very reliable.

A stall converter takes care of the down low problem you are talking about,,,I've driven one,,,,honestly it had plenty of butt at the bottom and would kill the tires at a blip of the throttle.

The only time I could see an issue would be a 6 speed car,,,but putting around town at 1,800 rpms???? who needs boost then? Drop a gear or 2 and you're on your way.

Just personal preference I guess,,,,and has alot to do with how you set the car up for it as well. I've seen too many stupid fast Procharged cars to not give them a serious look.

Thats an interesting LS swap though,,,haven't seen that done yet,,,,lol. I will have to get on the other computer to watch the video though,,,,give me a little time.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

A stall still doesn't make up for the fact; they don't make peak boost until absolute redline VS. a roots style that makes full boost right off idle. They feel ENTIRELY different.

Black
    2000 Z-28

A stall still doesn't make up for the fact; they don't make peak boost until absolute redline VS. a roots style that makes full boost right off idle. They feel ENTIRELY different.
    Yeah you're absolutely right. A centrifugal blower continues to generate boost as the rpm's increase while a roots or twinscrew make instant full boost. And I'm speaking from experience as I've owned a procharged vehicle.

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

yep your right but its funny comming from a guy with a turbo!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    yep your right but its funny comming from a guy with a turbo!
    Yeah I don't have the tq curve of a roots style setup, but I'm at my 17psi setting easily by 3K when on the street

rapter34
    Here is the video I was talking about. http://youtube.com/watch?v=4fAS1070FBY

a red 1 and a silver 1
    1993,2000 z28

it is a neat set up but its not worth the time it take my buddy had this set up and its in the vid posted up here i have a procharger and it very easy to do and cost a lot less

Black
    2000 Z-28

That car sounds sick....would have been nice to see it in action though.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I would like to get me a loan after my car is paid off and buy that..new heads cam etc .. a new tranny.. a new rear end and then drive it to work everyday.. haha

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

the instant boost/power must be addictive with that maggi..... i wonder what a "tuner kit" would cost? it is the perfect power adder for a DD street car that you can make quick burst of speed around town in.....

Not to mention the sound!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Here is a great write up on the install of a Magna Charger on a Camaro. The Guy is from LS1Tech. I think it is the same car that is in the youtube vid.
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710801

Here is a link to the kit you can buy for an F-Body.
    http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp?Pag...TS&Category=49

Ryan

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

The first video is of Ed from Latemodelspeed.com He was the guy who put me in contact for my Magnacharger. Super nice guy!!

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

White
    2001 Z28

California Legal?

Does this kit have CARB certification? The Procharger does, but I like this setuo better. Even though it is $1000 more, if it has CARB certification, I want one.

White

This covers your C.A.R.B. question. Scroll to the bottom of the PDF file. If the guy backs out of my vette kit I'm selling it'll be available on here. You just need the conversion parts and they're pretty easy to fab up.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-488-6.pdf

White
    2001 Z28

F Body Underhood Temperature

Thankyou! I want this setup. Thinking about the parts I will need I am considering the temperature under the hood. The LS1 is a tight fit in the F body, and the Magnacharger will be even tighter. I am looking at hoods with heat extractors and I am wondering if they are neccesary. I don't want to advertise what is under my hood.
    I would like to know if others find it desirable to run a vented hood with a supercharger, including ProChargers on an f body.

White

Call Ed at Late Model Speed and he'll tell you if you need to change your hood. My WS6Truck hood has ram air and is vented in the rear so I have plenty of cooling.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

http://lmspeed.com/index.asp?PageAct...WPROD&ProdID=2

info on what you have to do to make it fit

Our install kit allows our exclusive, custom Magnuson supercharger kit to be installed in any 1998-2002 GM F-Body. The kit requires minimal cutting to the cowl area, and comes with a pre-cut metal panel to box in the cut area. As you can see in the accompanying photos, the factory plastic cowl remains fully intact, and the kit requires no relocation of any factory items like windshield wipers, A/C components, or power brake booster. The kit comes complete with everything you will need to install, including templates, and fully detailed color instructions. Included in the kit are the following items:

• Complete, fully assembled Eaton 112 Supercharger system by Magnuson
    • Cast aluminum intake manifold, with internal liquid to air intercooler
    • Complete fuel system upgrades including high flow injectors, and Racetronix high flow fuel pump kit
    • Complete heat exchanger with coolant pump, and all necessary lines and fittings
    • Step by step, easy to follow instruction manual, with color pictures
    • Custom brackets, metal panel, and parts required to fit Supercharger to your chassis
    • Custom programming of your vehicles ECM (you must send us your ECM)
    • High flow air intake kit

Sebring Silver
    02 Z28

The Vid posted is accually a different car then the Build up by Farmdawg on tech. The Video is BadMonkey...he still has the Maggie but changed his setup down to something a bit calmer. Garrett3 has a Stock T/A with the maggie kit 441/443. Yotaman96 had a Heads/Cam T/A with Maggie. 97 Z Me Go has the highest numbers so far with 570/501.

Just look up their names in the F/I section and the posts come up. I have been lookin a lot into a Maggie kit and have been in touch with ED from LM Speed. He is a great guy to talk with and I am lookin forward to my future purchase.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information