Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green
    1997 ws-6

LT1..turbo or SC

im joining the national gaurd in the near future and was thinking when i get back from boot camp that i want to spend some money on my car. i have a 97 ws6 with 71k... i have full exhaust and some other basic things done to my car. i would sell it and go with an ls1 but i am fond of my car because of its excellent conditon and i bought it from the original owner who was an old man that babied the thing. I was wondering what would be the best route for the stock engine.. Turbo or SC... i like both. but im looking for the most bang for my buck. and what gains could i see through each. any knoweldgable advice would be appreciated. thank you

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I Know The Sts Kit For The Lt1 Was Putting Out Well Over 400 Hp To The Wheels. And You Cannot Beet 3995$
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Go with a S/C. Simple installation, vendors everywhere, no lag, no compression surge, no boost creep, no exhaust restriction, no unnecessary cutting for the plumbing, can utilize a BOV if you want to sound like a tuner car, and the power is always there.....

That's not to say that turbo's aren't beneficial, as I'll be running one on my 3.1 soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
    im joining the national gaurd in the near future and was thinking when i get back from boot camp that i want to spend some money on my car. i have a 97 ws6 with 71k... i have full exhaust and some other basic things done to my car. i would sell it and go with an ls1 but i am fond of my car because of its excellent conditon and i bought it from the original owner who was an old man that babied the thing. I was wondering what would be the best route for the stock engine.. Turbo or SC... i like both. but im looking for the most bang for my buck. and what gains could i see through each. any knoweldgable advice would be appreciated. thank you

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

You Can Ask Anyone Out There That Has Sts.... No Lag At All!

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

And I Will Bet That The Sts Kit Is Easier To Install Then Any Supercharger Out There And You Cannot Beat The Sound!

1994 25th Anniversary T/A

S/C...but I'm kind of bias. Just keep in mind that that boosting an LT1 is like playing russian roulett(sp). You never know when its gonna blow, but it will sooner or later. As far as the STS...I personally don't care for them (not that I've had a bad experiance with them or anything). Something about a turbo under my back bumper just doesn't seem right.

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler
    You Can Ask Anyone Out There That Has Sts.... No Lag At All!
    This is a joke, right? There's a legitimate reason why STS turbo's have no lag, and that's because the engine's their designed for are already making enough torque at lower RPM levels. You don't necessarily feel their lag, but it's there though. Try installing your STS turbo kit on a much smaller V6 F-Body lol......

And I Will Bet That The Sts Kit Is Easier To Install Then Any Supercharger Out There....
    Doubtful. My ProCharger was a very fast install....

And You Cannot Beat The Sound!
    This is clearly personal preference. I happen to enjoy the whine of my S/C much more than that of the STS turbo system....

Couldn't agree with you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown25thT/A
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    Stupid? I'm hoping that you accidently chose the wrong smiley dude LOL, otherwise I have no idea why you would do that. That response was directed to somebody else, and honestly didn't deserve that.....

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Will Just See Him Line Up To A F Body With An Sts And See How Much Hes Talking Then....they Always Seem To Like Them After They Go Up Against One...funny

Chrysler, your jumping the gun. I love turbo systems, but with the amount of work required in installing one (in comparison to a S/C), it can't compare. Plus, we don't even know if he's running a manual, which would cause even more lag, if so....

Will Just See Him Line Up To A F Body With An Sts And See How Much Hes Talking Then....they Always Seem To Like Them After They Go Up Against One...funny
    Also, there are street legal ProChargers running low nines. I don't see any one of them having a problem lining up with an STS turbo inspired vehicle...

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Ok....there Are 9 Second Camaros With Sts Systems Whats Your Point? If We Are Going To Get Into This......if You Have A Nasty Enough Engine With Enough Boost (whether It Be A Super Charger Or A Turbo) You Can Get A Camaro Into The 9's. It Sure As Hell Isnt Going To Be All The Supercharger. Aint No Way In Hell You Can Plop A Supercharger On A stock F Body And Make It Down The Track With Out Blowing It Up. Why We Get In This Pissing Contest Is Beyond Me. I Am Speeking From The Point Of View Of A Stock F Body With A Power Adder. (next Thing Racing Gas Right......)

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

[quote=Street Lethal;771490]Chrysler, your jumping the gun. I love turbo systems, but with the amount of work required in installing one (in comparison to a S/C), it can't compare. Plus, we don't even know if he's running a manual, which would cause even more lag, if so....

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT IT TAKES TO INSTALL AN STS SYSTEM? MOST PEOPLE DO THEM IN THERE DRIVEWAY

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Ok To bad Bird If You Are Looking For Something That Will Drive Like Stock Until You Get On It, Give You Better Gas Milage, Have The Meanest Sounding Exhaust Note You Have Ever Heard And Stock For Stock Smoke Any Comparable And Reasonably(under 4 Grand)priced Supercharger Around,go Sts

HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT IT TAKES TO INSTALL AN STS SYSTEM? MOST PEOPLE DO THEM IN THERE DRIVEWAY...
    Most people? Have YOU installed one yet lol....?

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Stupid? I'm hoping that you accidently chose the wrong smiley dude LOL, otherwise I have no idea why you would do that. That response was directed to somebody else, and honestly didn't deserve that.....
    It was a joke.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

"I'm with stupid" is a joke. Haven't you seen the T-shirt? On forums it's meant to mean "I agree", but in a funny way. Lighten up dude! Have a beer, enjoy a laugh or two!

Ok To bad Bird If You Are Looking For Something That Will Drive Like Stock Until You Get On It, Give You Better Gas Milage, Have The Meanest Sounding Exhaust Note You Have Ever Heard
    .... you forgot to mention 1200 degrees (a piece) sitting very near the gas tank, sitting in traffic, during those brutal summer days!

Green
    1997 ws-6

yeah i changed my mind now.haha. i did much more research.. im buying a complete salvaged car from a Fbody salvage yard in Alabama. with no motor and might tell him to keep the rear end as well. i will buy a forged motor and have a turbo built for it. the #'s i want arent obtainable with my stock LT1 and dont want to bury myself in debt. i want 500+ and i know that allot of people on here talk B.S. but i will have a sick turbo car when i complete boot camp.. i can get the car for $2500 so that would give me around 8K to play with. not too sure if that will be enough but we will be doing all the labor except the turbo work.

Green
    1997 ws-6

thats $2500 with the motor and rear end so im thinking buy one with out the motor and rear end and save money. i will need a 12 bolt (personal prefference) with that amount of HP..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information