Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222339 ... LastLast

LSX 434 Twin Turbo Project Pictures!

This is a discussion on LSX 434 Twin Turbo Project Pictures! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by cailey37 Ummm....I think you're missing the boat here. You talk about psi and how at 10lbs there ...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Ummm....I think you're missing the boat here. You talk about psi and how at 10lbs there is twice as much air as there are at 5lbs....there's twice as much pressure not air. Now look at it this way. A turbo is nothing more than an air compressor. It takes air and shoves it together and forces it into a space (volume of the motor cylinder). Now we all know that when you compress something you create heat. The oxygen molocules are spread out and you get less air density. That is why we have intercoolers, methanol injection, water injection and such.....we are trying to get more air molocules in the motor so we can in turn put more fuel in. Cooler air equals more air molocules. When your friend ported his heads on his Mustang he was simply improving the volumetric efficiency of the motor. Volumetric efficiency is the quanity of air that physically makes it into the engine on the intake stroke. All these things are what it takes to make more power....just simply boring and stoking doesn't give you more HP unless you can get more air in there....I could make this really technical but there is no need......if you want to know more then P/M me and I'll break it all down.....

There's more to a f/i than just simply putting a turbo on......

I've pretty much stayed out of this thread and enjoyed watching the build....

It wasn't a friend, just a build i read about somewhere. And in a given space 10 psi is twice as many air molecules as 5 psi is in the same given space, which increases air density...looks up Boyle's Law. reading up on Charle's law might help as well. A turbo is a compressor, a motor is a compressor, more air flow, and more cubic inches mean you're moving more air, and more air, however you get it, means more power, bottom line. whether its chemically introduced, pressurized, or just fed faster.

Before I became a medical student, I was a chemistry major at Texas Tech, I understand how these things work, don't worry about going over my head.

And no that's not an insult, that's just a statement letting you know I'm not some Billy Bob out in the woods. No offense to Billy Bob in the woods

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    It wasn't a friend, just a build i read about somewhere. And in a given space 10 psi is twice as many air molecules as 5 psi is in the same given space, which increases air density...looks up Boyle's Law. reading up on Charle's law might help as well. A turbo is a compressor, a motor is a compressor, more air flow, and more cubic inches mean you're moving more air, and more air, however you get it, means more power, bottom line. whether its chemically introduced, pressurized, or just fed faster.

Before I became a medical student, I was a chemistry major at Texas Tech, I understand how these things work, don't worry about going over my head.

And no that's not an insult, that's just a statement letting you know I'm not some Billy Bob out in the woods. No offense to Billy Bob in the woods

psi is "pounds per square inch".....it's pressure not air molecules. air is a gas....there are only so many molecules in it......you can either pack them in a given area by cooling them or expand them adding heat....that's why motors make more HP on cooler days....not because we are "getting more air in there", it's because the air is denser....why do you think people put nitrous on a car???? It's because it containes approximatley 35% oxygen while air contains about 23%....turbocharging is simply compressing the air and making it as dense as possible so you can run more fuel....trust me.....I've know turbos and how they work long before you ever stepped into a car....that isn't an insult that's a fact.....now.....back on topic of just enjoying this guys build...ok....
    Last edited by cailey37; 05-11-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    gokillyourself and spikito, you two can kiss and make up...basically i mean end it now or your both are out of the thread. This isn't the aag section....talk tech or be gone.

thanks.....I think all the comments being made have some merit!

TIME FOR A NICE GROUP HUG

Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GORILLAVETTE View Post

Click for full size
    And now Ladies and Gentlemen we present the rest of this evenings entertainment.
    Can you start that thing and let us listen to it once you are ready?
    Thanks man

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    And now Ladies and Gentlemen we present the rest of this evenings entertainment.
    Can you start that thing and let us listen to it once you are ready?
    Thanks man

Geezzz....no like the group hug!

Black
    '99 SS

Click for full size
    Rofl... I have to say, I wasn't expecting that.

Awesome build Gorilla, been watching it for a while now... be sure to post up some video of that bad mother......

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    Rofl... I have to say, I wasn't expecting that.

Awesome build Gorilla, been watching it for a while now... be sure to post up some video of that bad mother......

Don't worry I plan to plaster that baby all over the internet.

my ws6 eats rice gokillyourself's Avatar

sexy
    1999 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I would like to make one statement regarding flow and volume when it comes to FI setups

This was a concept i recently learned about, and its kind of hard to explain

ok, with a given airspace, 10 psi means theres twice as much air than in the same volume at 5 psi. so if hes running 18lbs of boost, that means theres 18lbs of air in the manifold/plenum. this is 18 lbs of air not in the motor. what you want is flow. unless of course the pressure in the plenum is relative to the air pressure in the cylinders.

for example, i know of someone who boosted a 302 mustang, he was running 18 lbs and made 550 hp. these numbers could be a little off, dont quote me. But when he got his heads ported, his pressure dropped to 16 psi, but his hp jumped to 600. thats because the turbos are pushing the same volume of air, but, there is now 2 psi in the cylinders that was in the manifold.

make sense?

But just like weve just seen, in his particular application, volume meant more than flow, so i say go with what works best.

Im sure this thing sucks more air than a small jet so it probably doesnt matter

well said man!!!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Click for full size
    Dear god....well, I'm not hungry now......lol

I think I just heard the music in the Blue Oyster Bar start up.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by hpglow View Post
    I think I just heard the music in the Blue Oyster Bar start up.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

i just spent the last half hour going through this thread, and I have to say, that maybe one of the best builds I've ever seen. Congrats, Gorilla and good luck. Hope to hear that monster cranked up soon.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by gokillyourself View Post
    well said man!!!
    thanks man

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by SR71 View Post
    i just spent the last half hour going through this thread, and I have to say, that maybe one of the best builds I've ever seen. Congrats, Gorilla and good luck. Hope to hear that monster cranked up soon.

Thanks for all your interest. We just put in the Driveshaft Shop 1000HP axels and half shafts. The breaking point will proabably be the drive shaft, if anything breaks but I got a few bucks saved if that happens. They have a 1200 HP C6 and the stock drive shaft has held up pretty well to the huge amount of torque. We shall see. Looking for the month of June to be my Christmas!!!!

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

awesome. I'm sure theres quite a few of us at least partially as anxious as you to see it going.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Jason View Post
    awesome. I'm sure theres quite a few of us at least partially as anxious as you to see it going.

Thanks Jason....I knew the day would eventually come but now that it's gettin close......well.....it's like Christmas day for a ten year old!

Black
    2002 SS

Thanks for all your interest. We just put in the Driveshaft Shop 1000HP axels and half shafts. The breaking point will proabably be the drive shaft, if anything breaks but I got a few bucks saved if that happens. They have a 1200 HP C6 and the stock drive shaft has held up pretty well to the huge amount of torque. We shall see. Looking for the month of June to be my Christmas!!!!
    Those half shafts you mentioned.
    Are they outrageous on the price?

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by jambofla View Post
    Those half shafts you mentioned.
    Are they outrageous on the price?

Not really. The entire setup(axles, boots and half shafts) which hooks right up to your current ABS system is less than a set of headers. They make one for 600HP plus and one (I got) for 1000HP plus. This is really high quality equipment and is very impressive to see. I think it would be a must for drag racers and they make a drive shaft that can hold over 1800 HP for the drag guys.

Black
    2006 GTO

Excellent thread. When are you getting your pilots license? LOL Awesome ride. This is something I wish I could do to the Goat (either one would be cool actually) but for the 06 I'm a little concerned on the rest of the drivetrain.

Can't wait to see the beast run. GREAT job ol' bean.

Magnetic Red II
    2004 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by 6806goats View Post
    Excellent thread. When are you getting your pilots license? LOL Awesome ride. This is something I wish I could do to the Goat (either one would be cool actually) but for the 06 I'm a little concerned on the rest of the drivetrain.

Can't wait to see the beast run. GREAT job ol' bean.
    Thanks.....Yes it's not just what you have to spend on the motor and all the extras for that. You have to beef up the suspension, tranny, differential, axles, half shafts, etc. Once you go down this road you will find that you can't cut any corners or you end up paying much more in the long run. I would strongly advise anyone starting a big project to go in with both eyes open and start a budget so you can see exactly what this will cost you. Remember you will be doing this for your own satisfaction cause you will never recoupe the expense if you decide to sell the vehicle.

Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222339 ... LastLast

Thread Information