white/black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

LS1 F Body positive displancement SC Kit = 0

Hi I'm a member from that great smog nemesis California.(were there is not 1 mid length or long tube. C.A.R.B approved header for an F-body!) But I digress from my main question/comment:

[Please set me straight if I am wrong but after checking the C.A.R.B Aftermarket Data Base] I can find no C.A.R.B approved Positive displacement supercharger for sale in the united states.[ C.A.R.B. mistakenly cited a magnacharger for sale only in Australia!]

Why hasn't Magnacharger, Kleene Bell, or Whipple stepped up?. I called Magnacharger and they said there wasn't enough money in offering a F-Body Kit!
    For me Positive displacement superchargers are the only real superchargers.
    They make you feel like you have an extra 250 ci at any rpm. (Centrifugal SC folks are just turbocharger souls that have strayed from the turbo path).
    Magnacharger, Kleene Bell, or Whipple think they are going to make their $$$ on the new V-8 Camaro kits[per Magnacharger via phone call.] Unfortunately C.A.F.E. will kill off any new muscle cars with a MSRP of less than $35K (That is if high unit sales, then potential fleet ave.mpg blown!!) in 2-4 years. Too Bad Magnacharger!
    Man there's a whole lot of F-bodies out here. We are a huge market. We deserve comprehensive Aftermarket performance support.--- LS1"

Sebring Silver
    02 Z28

Well LM Speed has the Maggie kit http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp

white/black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the Reply & info,

I did speak will Ed @ LM Speed as soon as I found out he had an application kit for the Maggie MPP 112 model for 98'-02' GM F-Bodys. The problem is: the kit has not been C.A.R.B. approved= not legal in CA.
    To accomplish this approval, all Magnuson[magnacharger] has to do is get up off their butts and submit some test data -which they already have- to C.A.R.B. for an approval stamp at the smog station. Evidently this is just to much work for Magnacharger to handle.

LS1"

1966 Corvette Coupe

Does the LmSpeed charger require trimming to clear the fire wall?

-me

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yes you have to trim a small amount off the the cowl. They give you a template and a piece to weld in its place.

white/black
    1999 Z28 Camaro

LMSpeed clearance

From my emails to and from Ed I picked up the following info:

No firewall clearance problem,
    An underside section of the cowl needs to be trimmed - I believe Ed's kit provides a template & an insert.
    An underside spot on the hood needs to be triimmed -no hole.

Give Ed a call or an email. He was always quick to respond to any questions.

I think a positive displacement supercharger is the only way to go[for a LS1 get a twin screw]. This is especially true if you use your car on the street alot. You get virtually instant full boost, torque, and hp. You don't have to wind up the rpms to get to the power zone as is necessary with a centrifugal unit.

My only hope is that Magnacharger, Whipple, and Keene Bell will get a kits certified for F-Bodys in CA when the new CAFE [gas mileage law] starts choking off the affordable new muscle cars[ that is, except for a high sticker & low unit sales cars like the vet, one by one, the big 3 will kill off the V-8 {to satisfy CAFE's 35 mpg fleet wide mileage requirement}]. Ford has already anounced a new campaign to replace V-8's with turbocharded 6's in a number of their models.

Sebring Silver
    02 Z28

Yes you have to cut the Cowl panel....but there is a filler piece given and once the plastic cowl trim is on you cant even tell. You also drop the K-member 1/2". There is a full write up on Tech of the LM Speed Maggie install.

Thread Information