Thread: LQ9 limitations

silver
    2005 silverado

LQ9 limitations

I've got a '05 silverado 6.0 currently with it's 3rd whipple head unit with a 8PSI pulley. Art Whipple is an awesome guy, I just have bad luck with his blowers. MUCH better than Kenne Belle - I wouldn't buy anything from him again......customer service, it's a must when selling parts......

Anywho, the silverado -

It's worthless for a tow vehicle, so I bought a diesel - so now it's a toy.

What kind of Rear Wheel HP will the stock longblock take?

Also, what kind of troubles will I find will turning up boost to the stock intake manifold? Will it handle 15lbs? 20lbs? 30lbs? 40lbs? Does pressurized air still get evenly distributed, or do some ports get slammed with air, while other ports starve creating lean cylinders?

Who makes turbo manifolds for my truck?

I've found...... Rod's C.A.R.S.- talked with him, prices are awesome, but I'm looking for more imput before I decide.

This will be my first build of anything of this magnitude - but I'm surrounded by friends making 472 HP with a kawasaki, 880 HP cobra (he split his block HAHA) and my father in law who can squeeze 660 HP (crank) out of a 317 NA SBC. I'm just looking for some experience with my choice of weapon.

red
    2000 camaro ss

what kind of diesel did you buy? if you got a dmax (which, as a chevy man, i assume you bought). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(runnin to my bomb shelter).......... get a ppe or efi live and you'll have 500 wheel/1000tq. and it'll run 12's on stock tires w/ built tranny. . . . .for way less $. . . .. . . .twin turbo's will get ya to 11's and below. . . . . . . . . . . .

stock 6.0-start to sweat when ya hit 550 wheel. you can definately go more but 550 is safe.

silver
    2005 silverado

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    what kind of diesel did you buy?
    I've had a 6.0 powerstroke, but it was in the shop too much. Loved the truck, hated the dealer.

I've had a '01 duramax - good power, descent mileage with a edge juice/attitude.

I bought a '05 cummins - it's a coal train, and I hate that.

I put 50-70K on a truck/year pulling a trailer most everywhere. I'll be going back to a dmax.

Anywho.........who knows about PSI getting shoved into that stock plastic intake?

No need to run 15psi.

6.0 block will handle 1000+rwhp.
    Stock internals I wouldn't trust much over 550rwhp.

You will easily hit 550+rwhp at 10psi or less.

Throw a T-76 on there, do a LS2 cam swap and run about 10psi.
    Will tune "safely" on pump gas and make insane power.

Stock truck manifold is fine. You can do an LS2 intake swap if you want though.

The 6.0 also has the big bore and can except the L92 heads and intake
    if you really wanna wake the motor up.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    what kind of diesel did you buy? if you got a dmax (which, as a chevy man, i assume you bought). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(runnin to my bomb shelter).......... get a ppe or efi live and you'll have 500 wheel/1000tq. and it'll run 12's on stock tires w/ built tranny. . . . .for way less $. . . .. . . .twin turbo's will get ya to 11's and below. . . . . . . . . . . .

stock 6.0-start to sweat when ya hit 550 wheel. you can definately go more but 550 is safe.
    550? the gto has had over 800 to the rear wheels for over two years ,sure cant keep the trans from breakin but,sure is fun while it last,seen 18 psi on stock ls2 intake,I had a fast intake they dont like boost...they blow apart.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Funny you mention the FAST intake and boost...I seen two of em crack under boost....now N/A they are great....

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Funny you mention the FAST intake and boost...I seen two of em crack under boost....now N/A they are great....
    ya damn things i had one went 8 psi a few time then poof....the gaskets they use in the fast intake are not meant to handle pressure.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    ya damn things i had one went 8 psi a few time then poof....the gaskets they use in the fast intake are not meant to handle pressure.
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question.

Were you running a 78, 90, or 92 mm FAST?

Also, did you use FAST burst panels? (They're made to break as a safety under nitrous backfires or harmful boost pressures so you don't blow the whole manifold.)
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question.

Were you running a 78, 90, or 92 mm FAST?

Also, did you use FAST burst panels? (They're made to break as a safety under nitrous backfires or harmful boost pressures so you don't blow the whole manifold.)
    it was a 90 same as ls2 and the gaskets were to blame inside the fast intake.also no i did not have the burst panels those cost considerable amount more and have to be purchased seperatly.mostly id say those are for the nitrous guys whats another $180 after you already spent $800 on the intake that only makes maybe 14 more hp over the l2 stock intake?lol
    Last edited by qwkgto; 12-07-2008 at 12:57 AM.

red
    2000 camaro ss

ls2 intake flows marginally better than the beat ls1 manifold . . .i've gotten most horse outta the bbk man and i've tested/tuned all outta-the-box intakes. just my .02. ls6 STILL best for the money. if i had ls6 on my car stock, i woulda never changed it.
    2000 red ss: >2" drop, koni adjustables 'n 275 s-compounds all way around, giant brakes, dynatech LT's, borla catback (no plate), t56, tubular everything, HARD TOP, caged, "stock" heads 'n a mean cam. -2* front camber.

Thread Information