Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Low Boost S/C?

This is a discussion on Low Boost S/C? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by blackhawk01 Also...for a procharger...how do you not have to tap the oil pan? Do you have to ...

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk01 View Post
    Also...for a procharger...how do you not have to tap the oil pan? Do you have to tap the block?
    Prochargers oil is self contained therefore you don't need to use engine oil.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Procharger has it's own oil; so there is no tapping to get engine oil to and tapping of the pan to return it.

If you are going to keep a stock bottom end, heads and cam are a waste of money if you are buying a S/C. Good exhaust, methanol, and 9psi will make over 500rwhp with an M6 and stock H/C.

You need to set your goals before you throw parts and money at it. A cheap set of LS6 stock heads and LS6 cam will net you about 575rwhp @ 8psi with meth and an M6, and 9psi will make close to 600 with this setup. This is a bit more than than most suggest for a stock bottom end.

REALLY REALLY do your homework though, don't dismiss the hidden costs of FI: 60lb injectors, new fuel pump and hotwire kit, meth system, clutch, driveshaft, rear end fairly soon, be ready to add fans knowing that cooling may take some work, 2bar tuning, etc.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

i guess that my goal is somewhere around 450 rwhp...Im thinking about doing the LS6 head swap and a medium cam and headers and exhaust...hopefully that will help me reach my goal

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Hmm, even on low boost I would have to build the bottom end?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Also, why would heads/cam be a waste of money if going with a S/C?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    Also, why would heads/cam be a waste of money if going with a S/C?
    Because, they cost thousands of dollars Vs. a couple hundred for pulleys... make the power with boost, that's what it is there for. No you don't have to build your bottom end, 9psi and meth is WAAYYYY cheaper than 6psi and H/C, and drives better too.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Oh i see what you're saying.. But you say most would suggest building the bottom end if you're pushing that much power? Plus with all the hidden costs you mentioned, sounds like it would end up costing a little more than I'm looking to spend..

Maybe my best route would just be a good heads/cam package for now..

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

If you have the money. Go Blower. And skip the heads and cam for now.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383, ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD
    Black 2008 GMC Yukon Hybrid 4WD (Totaled)

Black 2013 Chevy Volt (Gone)

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

So according to this site..

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...l?category=186

D1SC procharger with injectors, fuel pump, balancer, pinning kit, and tune for $6,820.

Is that all I need? I already have the LS7 clutch so as far as that goes it should be able to handle the power, and I know I'll probably have to do the rear end.. But what else is necessary?

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

My friend has his old D1SC procharger (he changed it for a F1 on his vette).. it needs to be rebuilt, something broke on it, but it only has like 10-15k miles on it)

Anyway, he said he would sell it to me for $1,000.. I don't know how much they'll charge to rebuild it, but it can't be too much..

It's real tempting, how reliable do you think it will be if I keep the boost low?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

ATI setups are very reliable once the little things are worked out. They are asily reliable enough to daily drive. I am saying that it is safe to make about 500-550rwhp on your stock bottom end, though there are always exceptions on both sides. Use meth; it's cheap, a little goes a LONG way, and it is protection.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Well that's good to hear... It would be my daily driver and that was my main concern--reliability.

what is meth?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

methanol injection cools your intake tract, allows you to run more timing, and acts like a high octane fuel. It only comes on under boost and supplements your existing fuel. It adds a safety net if used right to help prevent knock and high IATs to keep your stock motor together.

You have a LOT of reading to do; this is expensive, and you want to know most of the gotchas before getting into it.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just take your time and build your setup right the first time. Believe me, there are plenty of people out there that just "jump" in and forget to think this whole thing thru. Before you know it, a lot of broken parts and lots of lost cash later they wish they had built their system right. If it's your daily driver then I'd remember one thing. Once you start adding power adders to your car you have to give up some reliability and longevity. I don't expect my motor to last 100K miles and I have to be willing to keep putting money into it. You build a high HP motor then your drivetrain becomes the weak link.

You've picked an expensive hobby.....and addicting one....you'll get 500hp then you'll want 600, 700, 800.......it's a drug.....lol

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    methanol injection cools your intake tract, allows you to run more timing, and acts like a high octane fuel. It only comes on under boost and supplements your existing fuel. It adds a safety net if used right to help prevent knock and high IATs to keep your stock motor together.

You have a LOT of reading to do; this is expensive, and you want to know most of the gotchas before getting into it.
    Oh ok I thought that's what you meant, just didn't know what it did. Anyway, thanks a lot for all the info and advice, I guess I'll look into this some more and try to learn as much as I can and then pick my route from there.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Just take your time and build your setup right the first time. Believe me, there are plenty of people out there that just "jump" in and forget to think this whole thing thru. Before you know it, a lot of broken parts and lots of lost cash later they wish they had built their system right. If it's your daily driver then I'd remember one thing. Once you start adding power adders to your car you have to give up some reliability and longevity. I don't expect my motor to last 100K miles and I have to be willing to keep putting money into it. You build a high HP motor then your drivetrain becomes the weak link.

You've picked an expensive hobby.....and addicting one....you'll get 500hp then you'll want 600, 700, 800.......it's a drug.....lol
    Yeah you're right, and like I said before the reliability of the car is my main concern. I plan on keeping it for a long time and being at 86k right now IDK how long it would last with FI.

Where in FL are you?

89 Chrysler Conquest

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Use meth; it's cheap, a little goes a LONG way, and it is protection.
    I'm gonna put this on a bumper sticker with a picture of a car and a picture of a meth junkie on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information