no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

kenne bell.....questions.

i know this has been discussed before because ive read most of the threads from here and the thousands over at tech, but i still have questions.

the cowl on these f bodies sucks. in order for the kb twin screw to fit without any modification i havent heard of, the cowl has to be hacked. the blower is about 10 inches tall. as far back as the el es won sits its apparent that you would run into the windshield when cutting the cowl....and the windshield is in the way too.

ideas guys.....i need em. i appreciate em.

i got my old job back and am making decent money. i wanna take the plunge and go for a kb kit. this is applicable to the whipple systems as well, as they are just as tall.

Pewter
    2000 z28

oh come on. im ready to cut and trim people. i really dont care.

i heard someone say they could lower the k member but i dont get that one.

does anyone know if the whipple will fit under the cowl? they actually have an f body tuner kit on their site.

whatever it is, it better be a twin screw.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i would like to hear this as well. that would be sick. those twin screws are rad

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

order a ls1 vette kit and see what needs to happen? you'll save several inches by removing the stock intake, does anybody make like upper/lower intakes that are shorter?

hell, if you want it bad enough, get a custom windshield made with a notch in it for the supercharger, seal it up to the rest of the cowl and do it that way. just the fact that the thing hits the glass doesn't mean it can't be done; it just costs more.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    order a ls1 vette kit and see what needs to happen? you'll save several inches by removing the stock intake, does anybody make like upper/lower intakes that are shorter?

hell, if you want it bad enough, get a custom windshield made with a notch in it for the supercharger, seal it up to the rest of the cowl and do it that way. just the fact that the thing hits the glass doesn't mean it can't be done; it just costs more.
    you have to remove part of the windshield and dash.

what do you mean by upper/lower intakes?

its height thats the enemy, not length so much. but i appreciate the ideas man. i cant imagine a custom made winshield and what that would cost but if you know something, throw up a link.

thanks again.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

WOW! I wanna do this too!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

upper/lower intakes are not present on these cars.. my bad. especially after you put in a supercharder. Is the car a DD or a hot rod, do you care about A/C, defroster, anything else you might have to remove in the process of hacking up your dash? far as the glass goes, your best bet would probably be just to cut the one you've got... anything custom's gonna cost a million bucks but idk if it's even possible to cut a notch out of a windshield lol..

custom motor mounts? aftermarket K-member? both? if you were to move the engine/tranny forward some things might start looking possible but this whole thing is starting to make my head hurt

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    upper/lower intakes are not present on these cars.. my bad. especially after you put in a supercharder. Is the car a DD or a hot rod, do you care about A/C, defroster, anything else you might have to remove in the process of hacking up your dash? far as the glass goes, your best bet would probably be just to cut the one you've got... anything custom's gonna cost a million bucks but idk if it's even possible to cut a notch out of a windshield lol..

custom motor mounts? aftermarket K-member? both? if you were to move the engine/tranny forward some things might start looking possible but this whole thing is starting to make my head hurt
    thanks for the input. and keep in mind i am in NO WAY an expert at anything, and i havent done much with this car so this will be in alot of ways uncharted territory. i have also taken a few measurements which are null and void until i can atleast see a 2.4 (at the least) for height reference.

where the dash has to be cut is a minimal space, so im fairly sure i can retain all my accesories (ac, defroster...). it wont have to be hacked to awful much. the answer to your windshield question is that there is no answer other than possibly getting a lexan piece cut by professionals, god knows i cant do that.

i have heard people talk about forward mounting everything in regard to this but i cant see how that would work unless they make a longer input shaft and bell housing....also the shifter would have to be relocated (i think) as with everything else. it would certainly throw the balance of the car off which would have to be addressed. i have heard people say they were going to try to lower the k member but unless one of them explains that theory to me, i cant visualize that working either.

the windshield wiper motors will have to be relocated for sure as well as getting shorter wipers. im trying to go through all the grunt work and little things i will need to mull over before this even becomes possible.

any suggestions, keep em coming. i really want to try this. btw it is most certainly a daily driver.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Whats the size difference in the Maggie and the Kenne? I know there is a Maggie kit out there thet comes with a box to install and they note "minimal" cutting. I have my intake off so I can take some measurements from the valley cover to the cowl when I get home to give an Idea of how much room there is from valley to cowl and you can go from there.

Here's the Maggie link http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp?Pag...WPROD&ProdID=2

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Whats the size difference in the Maggie and the Kenne? I know there is a Maggie kit out there thet comes with a box to install and they note "minimal" cutting. I have my intake off so I can take some measurements from the valley cover to the cowl when I get home to give an Idea of how much room there is from valley to cowl and you can go from there.

Here's the Maggie link http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp?Pag...WPROD&ProdID=2
    thanks slim.

i believe there is a half an inch to an inch difference, i cant recall.

the maggie is cool but i just want a twin screw. i will have to take a look and maybe steal some ideas from magnuson. good s/c for the money for sure.

i think from the valley cover to the cowl is something like 9 inches....

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I don't know if this will help you any, being that the KB is taller than the Magnacharger. In fact, you've probably already seen this before, but just incase...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710801

Page 3 shows where he cuts the cowl.

C6 H/C/N20

Secondgear, if you need any measurements let me know. I know the Big Bores are even larger though then the 2.2 and 2.4's.

Here is one on an LSX from Turnkeyengines.com

Last of the LT1's!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    thanks for the input. and keep in mind i am in NO WAY an expert at anything, and i havent done much with this car so this will be in alot of ways uncharted territory. i have also taken a few measurements which are null and void until i can atleast see a 2.4 (at the least) for height reference.

where the dash has to be cut is a minimal space, so im fairly sure i can retain all my accesories (ac, defroster...). it wont have to be hacked to awful much. the answer to your windshield question is that there is no answer other than possibly getting a lexan piece cut by professionals, god knows i cant do that.

i have heard people talk about forward mounting everything in regard to this but i cant see how that would work unless they make a longer input shaft and bell housing....also the shifter would have to be relocated (i think) as with everything else. it would certainly throw the balance of the car off which would have to be addressed. i have heard people say they were going to try to lower the k member but unless one of them explains that theory to me, i cant visualize that working either.

the windshield wiper motors will have to be relocated for sure as well as getting shorter wipers. im trying to go through all the grunt work and little things i will need to mull over before this even becomes possible.

any suggestions, keep em coming. i really want to try this. btw it is most certainly a daily driver.
    This kind of kit is not for a daily driver right now. If you can't fabricate some stuff yourself, I would go with turbo kit or an already proven blower kit. It will be easier, cheaper, and mroe reliable for your car. my .02!!!

C6 H/C/N20

Quote Originally Posted by SSmaro View Post
    This kind of kit is not for a daily driver right now. If you can't fabricate some stuff yourself, I would go with turbo kit or an already proven blower kit. It will be easier, cheaper, and mroe reliable for your car. my .02!!!

I agree.

Thread Information