Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

intercooler help!?!??

This is a discussion on intercooler help!?!?? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; On my old turbo truck and my bosses turbo nova we bought that same size intercooler off of ebay for ...

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

On my old turbo truck and my bosses turbo nova we bought that same size intercooler off of ebay for like $140. We havent had any problems with ours. I was running 12 psi and hes been running 10.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

siver
    2000 ss camaro

Very nice Mark,Thanks again!very helpful info!!

Black
    2001 C5 Corvette

Have you considered going with a air/water intercooler? Vortech makes a kit. It's kinda spendy, but they allow greater flexibility in mounting locations, and supposedly cool the charge better. It doesn't have the same "bling factor" as an air/air intercooler, but if you're looking for a "stealthier" set-up... If cooling is a concern (engine coolant) this migh be a better route as front-mount air/air intercoolers reduce the flow of air to the radiator. On the Corvette forum guys who road-race thier cars were having issues with coolant temps climbing because of the reduced air-flow through the radiator. This might not be an issue for the Camaro though, or if you don't run it hard for extended preiods. The air/water intercooler is a little less complex in terms of ducting as well. Just kinda depends what your preference is. Air/air will probably be cheaper, but a little harder to install, also they look pretty cool sitting out front.
    Meth is also a good option.

9.62/140

Air flow to the radiator is not an issue on F-Bodies since the radiator air is ducted from under the nose.

siver
    2000 ss camaro

Hmmm.....something to think about!!

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark98SS View Post
    Air flow to the radiator is not an issue on F-Bodies since the radiator air is ducted from under the nose.
    I can see that. I always wondered how that were able to get enough flow.
    I think the spoiler helps to knock some air up in there.

Always thought a air scoop to the radiator might help. But, at low speeds fan switch helped me when I was stock in traffic.

With the procharger twins rarely do I get over 180... I think over stock I'm down 15 degrees or so. It seems to run at 170 most of the time. It's almost too cold imo. I'm thinking efficency suffers some ... you know perfect temp for best power / economy. Can't tell yet as I haven't seen any increase or decrease in mpg.... But, a serious power boost.

9.62/140

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I can see that. I always wondered how that were able to get enough flow.
    I think the spoiler helps to knock some air up in there.

Always thought a air scoop to the radiator might help. But, at low speeds fan switch helped me when I was stock in traffic.

With the procharger twins rarely do I get over 180... I think over stock I'm down 15 degrees or so. It seems to run at 170 most of the time. It's almost too cold imo. I'm thinking efficency suffers some ... you know perfect temp for best power / economy. Can't tell yet as I haven't seen any increase or decrease in mpg.... But, a serious power boost.
    The bottom spoiler is everything to cooling any 4th gen & prolly 3rd gens too. If you remove it it will over heat for sure. Issue with the twins is the spoilier needs to be cut back for the IC pipes to get around thus reducing area to duct air to the rad.
    Last edited by Mark98SS; 12-16-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I too am running a ebay intercooler 20 psi and boosting.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by Mark98SS View Post
    The bottom spoiler is everything to cooling any 4th gen & prolly 3rd gens too. If you remove it it will over heat for sure. Issue with the twins is the spoilier needs to be cut back for the IC pipes to get around thus reducing area to duct air to the rad.
    Understand, Hence my efforts to keep what spoiler I could and round off the edges etc... for the best flow. At this point, I don't see the need for the spoiler scoop. However, let me get her to the road course and see what
    I have after 15min of running around Laguna Seca.... more later...

I love these cars!

Next Project: Firehawk - SC, BLK with tan leather and ghost gold stripes.... gotta have it !!!!
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-17-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information