How much boost is too much?

This is a discussion on How much boost is too much? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OK.......here are my goals: To build a high HP motor with as much power as possible on pump gas(93 octane). ...

How much boost is too much?

OK.......here are my goals: To build a high HP motor with as much power as possible on pump gas(93 octane). This will not be daily driven but I would like to have as high compression of motor as possible while keeping a lower amount of boost from a D1SC supercharger. I would like to keep the AC unit and probably will not have an intercooler. I will have a 400+ cubic inch motor(either the 6.0 liter truck block or the LSX block) and a good sized cam, ARE heads, Fast 90/90 setup and full exhaust with LT's. I will have a fully forged bottom end and was thinking of something along the lines of a 9.5-10.0 CR along with about 7-8 psi of boost. Is this reasonable thinking and does anyone have any recommendations or ideas? How much RWHP should I be looking at? Does anyone think it would be possible to hit 600 RW with this combo? Sorry if I left out any details, if any questions feel free to ask. This will be in an 02 WS6 with an M6.....Moser 12 bolt should be good enough, right? Any clutch recomendations for this. This will be driven on the roads mainly with the possible occasional track run. Thanks for the help in advance.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I think you will be fine with 9.5:1 and around 7-8psi. I would keep the compression on the low side just incase you ever want to up the boost. I would also think about getting an intercooler and/or Meth injection for added safety. I would think that it would be safe to say you would make around 570-620 rwhp with a combo like that.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Yeah.......I would like to see around 600rwhp if at all possible. I would like to have an intercooler but would like to keep all of the stock appearance and comfort options(ie.....fog lights and air cond) I don't know if that is possible or not.

Ratdaddy07
    If it isn't then I'm just going with the bottle but I would think it should be fairly easy.

does anyone have a chart of either a high comp. motor with low boost or a low compression motor with high boost levels. Can anyone post a chart that would show the HP relationship of both a NA motor and a FI motor and the HP gains of different compression ratio motors both with FI and with NA motors? Does anyone have the FI motor with compression and boost comparisons of their power gains?

Fast 90/90 is a waste of money on a FI application. Stock LS6 parts work just fine.

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

You can get meth injection and retain stock apperance. Twin intercoolers will retain stock apperance and some people are stuffing a single front mount in and keeping stock apperance, it's all in what you want. I agree with the fast 90 intake being a waste of money on a FI setup. Just go with an ls6 and be done with it or and ls2 and 90 tb. as far as a chart for compression, I don't have a chart that shows the difference between 2 engines with different compression ratios but heres one that shows the compression in the engine with different setups.
    Last edited by anarchy99; 11-18-2007 at 06:03 PM.

Get the twin intercoolers if you're staying high compresion with boost. You can run meth, but it'll become more inconvenient if it's a street car.
    You can go 9.5:1 and run 10 psi perfectly fine with the twin intercooler set up.
    Get the 4 inch twins.

Thread Information