How hard are Superchargers on an LS1

This is a discussion on How hard are Superchargers on an LS1 within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm lookng for a new car and have a '96 Z28 right now with a lot of problems. I would ...

How hard are Superchargers on an LS1

I'm lookng for a new car and have a '96 Z28 right now with a lot of problems. I would LOVE to get a newer LS1 SS or Z28 but not sure if it's a good idea financially. But anyway, I found a 2000 SS that seems to be in really great shape and it has all the stuff i want on it. The only "problem" is that it has a supercharger. I'm all for more power, but since there is 104K miles on the car I'm not so sure. Normally, for a $4600 SS I wouldn't think 104K isn't too much but I'm concerned as to how the supercharger would have affected the engine over the years. I don't know how long it's been on the car or anything.

So can anyone tell me about superchargers and engine wear? and how bad does it hurt MPG? Is it even a posibilty to think I could use this as a daily driver for 40K or 50K+ more miles?

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

First to answer your question....a procharger isn't going to be harsh on the motor IF it's set up correctly. LOL A stock motor can handle 8 lbs of boost from a procharger and still daily drive it. But that's considering you have upgraded the fuel injectors to at least 42 lb injectors, have an upgraded fuel pump to make sure you get plenty of fuel to the injectors while at WOT. Last but most important...the car is tuned by someone who knows how to tune. If any of the above mentioned isn't like that....then you're going to run into issues. To note; driving a boosted car under normal driving conditions isn't doing anything out of the ordinary. It's when you're at WOT or in the boost that's when dependability is going to be in question.

Ideally having a forged motor with pistons and rings made for boost is going to handle itself better. But if you're saying this 2000 SS has a procharger and the seller only wants $4,600.....I'd say there's something definitely wrong. Hell a stock 2000 SS in fair condition can get $10k - $12k easy. Unless you plan on totally overhauling that car....I'd stay away from it. Just my opinion.

ya, it seemed too good to be true. The car is too far away anyway i think but the guy wont e-mail me back. I just thought i'd ask incase i ran into it again. Thanks.

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

No problem to help out. For me I wouldn't buy the car if I didn't personally know the history of it. Building up your own car might be the best choice.

NBM
    99 TA

how long has the s/c been on the car is a good question as well. for 4600 bucks id be all over it though, just build the motor for the hell of it

pewter metalic
    2000/WS6/TA

sounds like an almost perfect project car...4600$$ rebuild the motor or buy new recondition the sc,,suspension providing nothing is broken new shocks and supension bushing kit for front and back total cost ??? 10 to 12k not bad doable always look at the potential of the car and how far far youre willing to take her

the last thing I want right now is a project car. I just want something that WORKS! I would just go buy a little jap trap but my camaro is WAY too much fun.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

A proper tune is everything. I had a Paxton Novi 1000 on an 03 Mustang GT with a bad tune and within 1000 miles it melted my #3 piston all the way down to the oil ring. I pulled the engine and lets just say about $10K down the road I ended up dumping the car with a freshly rebuilt hiperf engine that took me all winter to build. I just got sick of it.

For that price, it's too good to be true. Something has to be up with it.

Thread Information