Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Brew STS

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Home Brew STS

OK, I know someone has tried this. My plan is to try it on my 2000 5.3l Pickup and if it works, maybe, I said maybe, on my 2000 SS. I really dont like where the intake pipe goes under the a-arm on the camaros. I live where body kits rarely survive. For the kit I plan on using a:
    T04E 60 trim .60a/r comp, .81a/r turb. ball brng $225-$1300
    mocal 50 psi electric oil pump $180
    1/4 oil line, the high pressure stuff $1.50 foot
    1/4 Brass fittings $10-$15
    38mm wastegate $90-$250
    2.5" tubing stainless or not $40-$100
    3" tubing $20-$30 dont need much
    t3 t4 weld on flange $14.80
    wastegate flanges 2 for $15-$30
    2.5" silicone couplers 10 $2.81 ea. cut your self from 24" peice
    3"-3.5" coupler $16.99 for MAF
    2.5"-3.5" coupler $16.99 for MAF
    3" 90 ? for Throttle body not sure of size, trucks in body shop.$20-$25
    2.5" T clamps $3.20 ea. 10 or more
    3.5" t clamps 2 $9.98
    exhaust hangers $5
    K&N $50
    Will also need some wiring for the oil pump
    1.5" tubing for the wastegete
    some flex pipe to get the K&N up out of the way of water
    gaskets for the turbo
    maybe a v-band if your turbo doesnt come with one
    Im sure I probably forgot something, but tell me what you guy think.
    this wont be for the faint hearted, it will take some serious fabrication to make it all fit.
    No disrespect to STS but $4k is 2 months wages, ouch.
    My way I can build it as I can afford it.
    Well, let me have it
    Last edited by 44newman; 02-04-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Rivera Blue
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

The oil pump is for the return from turbo back to engine, right? Just need to know.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Yes. from the junkyard turbo site they say an oil sump helps, after the turbo, before the pump. On a truck I dont think it will be as much of a problem because you can mount the turbo higher in the chassis. The complaint is oil pooling in the turbo overnight, the when you start it up it blows oil out the tailpipe.
    Thanks

Redneck Engineer

Green
    1996 Impala SS

You need a check valve to keep the oil from running back down into the turbo. See if the pump already has one built in.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Just wanted to put my two cents in. My buddy is a dealer/installer for STS. Almost everyone who has tryed to make one of these kits themself work has failed. STS put years of R&D into building a reliable system. Everyone that has posted a turbo failure where something went into the turbo and ruined it which resulted from not using the COATED pipes like STS uses, didn't think it was neccessary like you seem to think. Alot of the negative things posted about STS systems were from people who built systems LIKE the STS but were not the STS. The STS is one of the absolute cheapest turbo systems on the market even at $4000.00 most turbo kits are upward of $7k to $10k and require at least a couple of days worth of labor to install. I have helped install an STS in 6 hours and another hour of dyno tuning. I'm NOT trying to bash you, what I would HATE to see is you mess up your vehicle because you went the cheap route. By the time you peice together a kit with a part here and a part there you probably could've saved enough to buy an STS and install it yourself in the driveway (save the labor costs, that's where you get cheap if you want)...which can be done in about 8 hours with jack stands, a buddy, and a case(or two) of beer!! If you do try to make one...good luck (sincerely)!!!! My suggestion is to use stainless or use coated pipes throughout. Regular pipe, even aluminized rusts internally. That rust as well as other debris/carbon end up in your turbo, remember its in the back not like a regular system that it wouldn't matter what type of pipe you used. The last thing you want is a peice of rust/carbon/catalytic converter coming off inside and hitting your turbo at full boost. This is why STS uses coated pipes all the way through. You will lose less heat from the exaust which will spool the turbo up better also!! There are just alot of factors involved in building a kit not just the parts themselves, good luck with whatever you choose to do!!

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Not to doubt you, Walking-Dead, but I have an issue with your response.
    I have the STS system, with all its pluses and minuses. Your post is misleading, in that the STS system I have connects to my existing exhaust pipe. So, from the STS pipe forward, I am using the pipes/cats which were already on the car. And they are not, repeat NOT, coated.
    So, according to your post, the STS system is inherently going to get this "debris" from my previously existing parts. Thus, they are doomed to fail. How sad for me.
    And my system was installed by a dealer/installer for STS.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I know that all of the STS run like a catback exaust basically at least before the turbo and after the cats. What I'm saying is if you have high mileage on your car and you have an STS be aware that whatever is floating around in your pipes COULD potentially get to the turbo and has in systems not made by STS. Exotic Performance Plus had this happen to a Ferrari he had in his shop. The big thing was...it wasn't an STS...it was a system LIKE the STS. Thats my point...that most people who built a system LIKE the STS have had problems. Most of the poeple who HAVE the STS have not had these problems. I am a BIG fan of the STS systems, I know two people with f-bodies that have them and rode with them. I also have two other friends that have them in silverados and rode with them too. My friend is a dealer for them (one of the silverados). If I had the $4000.00 I would get one from him in a heart beat. I understand what you are saying about from the cats forward being uncoated. I was recommending that he use coated like yours IS for the rest of the system he is building which he says coating may not be neccessary. It's not just the corrosion factor but the heat loss factor as well. The coating keeps the heat in which spins the turbo better. Bottom line you may have a problem later down the road or you may not. I still like the STS and plan on having one eventually.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

O.K.
    But the STS system is not cat-back, it is rear-axle back.
    The price is too high; it used to be lower and should still be there.
    The power is good; the lack of a GOOD subframe solution sucks.
    So I will have a problem because I went with the recommended exhaust system. Still a bummer.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

So, what you are saying is that the STS has built-in problems?
    I am like the pig in a ham and egg breakfast, I am committed.
    But to now hear that flaws are present and known about, is upsetting.
    High mileage? No one at STS asked me about the mileage of my car, just the limit on my credit card.
    Coating? No one at STS suggested or recommended that I coat my system.
    Where are you getting this info?

Redneck Engineer

Green
    1996 Impala SS

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    Just wanted to put my two cents in. My buddy is a dealer/installer for STS. Almost everyone who has tryed to make one of these kits themself work has failed.
    Typical sales guy crap. If you want to try to make a home brewed system, I say go for it. Some guys go to Lingenfelter for their engines, some guys like to build'em themselves. You don't hear Lingenfelter telling you not to build your own engine, do you?

Back on the original topic, you might want to consider some bigger injectors in addition to all that other stuff you mentioned, and a meth injection setup will probably be more cost-effective than an intercooler. And have you considered a blow-off valve?
    Last edited by stonebreaker; 02-16-2006 at 10:39 AM.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Yes. Ignoring the fact that you are doomed; you will want to put larger fuel capacity in your system. I went with a 255 lph fuel pump, adjustable regulator, and 36 lb. injectors. Many go with 42s; it depends on you.
    The intercooler currently used is O.K. with a Camaro, but sux with a Pontiac, due to the lack of a large opening in the front.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

now im pissed dude should just say i am a dealer and this is my shpeel. dude is tryin to do it on his own and is aware the risk in "Home Brew STS". warnings are cool but ankle deep in bullshit is what it is bullshit ankle deep

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

The last thing you want is a peice of rust/carbon/catalytic converter coming off inside and hitting your turbo at full boost. This is why STS uses coated pipes all the way through.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Man...remind me not to give post here anymore. I was friendly, nice and was not accusitory or belittling in anyway shape or form. You guys are chewing my ass off. Not only that I SINCERELY told him good luck in his efforts and I meant it. If he could make it work COOL!! Basically all I mentioned that people had tryed before and had problems making it work. Expensive problems. You think hes the first person to try this. Check a couple other web sites and do the research if I'm full of shit. Hell, ask Exoctic Performance Plus and see what he says or search his posts on other sites. It took him actually installing an STS to change his mind a bit. He used to preach about them being inferior and to use a traditional turbo system over them. By the way like I said in the beginning...MY BUDDY IS THE DEALER/INSTALLER...not me!! I have been researching STS since it was released and was the one who turned him on to them. I can give you his name if you want and he's the only authorized dealer in GA if you wanna contact STS and compare names. Oh, and I get absolutely NOTHING from him if I refered anyone to him except to watch/help the install and ride in the car after if I have time. You act like I was crapping all over STS...as stated I am a fan of the STS kit and have been for years. I wondered why everyone abandoned LS1.com and went elsewhere..now I know why.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

OK guys, do we need to get the boxing gloves out? Just kidding, anyway heres my start. I have gathered a few parts and here is a picture of them. Most of my posts are at performancetrucks.net forum, you dont have to register to view posts, unlike this forum. Its under the same Home Brew thread. Didnt mean to cause a big fight.You guys are as emotional as women,lol.
    Thanks Jeremy
    Well forum wont let me post pictures, I need 5 more posts.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

4 more posts

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

3 more

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

2 more

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

1 more