holset hx35 on custom rear mount???

hey im lookin to turboing my car and build my own rear mount kit. and i was wondering how u guys feel about useing an holeset hx35? it has a 14 cm exhaust houseing, and i got to look in to what size comp. wheel. i think its around 50ish mm. it was on my cummin before i upgraded it to a hx40. and it uses a T3 flange. and will take 32 psi all day or would another hx40 do the trick. with a 60mm turbine and a 16cm ehaust houseing. also where do u guys tap into for a oil feed line. and where do u dump it back into the engine at? do i need some kind of a pump to help get it back to the engine? well i got to gget to work so ill have sum more Q?s in abit. thanks for the help guys

red
    2000 camaro ss

what bottom end do you have? hx35 is big for stock cubes. big in general. . . . . . .i spool mine to 41-42 on my truck, but how often do you see any gasser boost that high? . . .surely you could use it if you had the cubes, and it's almost a M A W (might as well) try since you got one. but tunin the wastegate may be tedious.
    Last edited by side2000; 01-30-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Too big of a turbo imo w/that big of turbine housing and mounting it that far away you'll never spool it up diesels pump alot more air than gas engines.

Trans Am owner
    former

compressor housing is 56mm I believe.

those turbos are good for up to 35 psi, and you need to make sure to get a wastegated housing.

hx35 turbos is what comes stock on a dodge cummins diesel truck.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by LT1 > LS1 View Post
    compressor housing is 56mm I believe.

those turbos are good for up to 35 psi, and you need to make sure to get a wastegated housing.

hx35 turbos is what comes stock on a dodge cummins diesel truck.
    6 speeds and some 5 speed trucks only, not that it matters much to anyone.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

you'll never spin it enough to get 35 psi though.

red
    2000 camaro ss

never. even if some1 had enough, the motor would explode.

Awaiting Activation

NBM
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    never. even if some1 had enough, the motor would explode.
    I doubt it unless he had some serious work done, and yes 35 psi would for shure fuck shit up.

the hx35 is SOP on all 2nd gen cummins... this summer i swaped a cummins in my 86' chevy pick-up. did injectors cranked the pump, and put on a hx40. the thing hauls ass in i get 20 mpg. rollin on 38's. but any ways i wasn't lookin to push more then 8 or 10psi with the Z. i was just stateing the fact that they'll handle 30-40 pounds of boost. but otherwise the Z has a stock bottom end n i was just lookin for sum easy HP. n i need a new project. for the spring. plus i just had it sittin on the shelf. so what size compressor n what size exhaust turbines to the turbos u guys usully run have? im goni to try and source one off of a diesel application. thanks guys

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by krazykarl454 View Post
    the hx35 is SOP on all 2nd gen cummins... this summer i swaped a cummins in my 86' chevy pick-up. did injectors cranked the pump, and put on a hx40. the thing hauls ass in i get 20 mpg. rollin on 38's. but any ways i wasn't lookin to push more then 8 or 10psi with the Z. i was just stateing the fact that they'll handle 30-40 pounds of boost. but otherwise the Z has a stock bottom end n i was just lookin for sum easy HP. n i need a new project. for the spring. plus i just had it sittin on the shelf. so what size compressor n what size exhaust turbines to the turbos u guys usully run have? im goni to try and source one off of a diesel application. thanks guys
    i know this is not a diesel forum, but hx35 SOP on all 2nd gens? . . .90% of the SO's have hy35, which includes all auto's and a lotta the 5 speeds.

since the hx35 operates efficiently to 35 psi, it would be impractical to use it at such low boost as 8-10 psi. it would be super laggy. but, it's free so do what ya wish. . .

well wouldn't the laggyness come from the size of the exhaust houseing? n i know u can get a pretty small one like a 9 cubic CM houseing of a 4BT. dont know the A/R of it but its pretty small. so my big concern is the compressor side? is 56mm to big? i mean even if its only at 8psi its still flowin air. and boost is only the resistence of airflow. so if its moveing more air with lesser boost then compared to a smaller comp would at a highr psi. it should work out.(so i would think). but if im wrong please tell me so. and i'll start hunting for another turbo. thanks again guys.

P.S. and yess the HY was on 2nd gens. but i beleave only the 2000 and up auto 24v. which aint a real cummins anyways
    Last edited by krazykarl454; 02-02-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: my bad

red
    2000 camaro ss

lag is from unproportional compressor wheel size to fuel/exhaust output. the housing size is directly related to compressor size. 54 is big for somethin' that only runs 8 psi. ideally, you want to have a turbo whose max efficient psi is within 5 psi above what you will be running, lag will be minimized. yes, it would flow a lot of air @ low boost, however, it would take forever for it to light. especially if you have a manual car, it would just be too laggy. you can try it and see what happens, you could easily find another turbo w/ same flange or just mod to fit.

the cummins' statement is blasphemy!. there's not a cummins ever made that i would not consider to be one hellofa machine. . . .i happen to own a 6 sp 24v ISB. . . .

oh ok... yea that does make sence. well thanks for the info 2000. and ya i figured u were a 24v owner. thats why i had to bust ur balls abit. i have a 12v myself.

red
    2000 camaro ss

i'm a huge fan of the p-pump, but i also like to keep my smoke down when i'm just drivin from A to B. cant afford/not willing to pay for a common rail, so i'm stuck w/ the VP.

Thread Information