Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 camaro ss/slp

help with supercharger!

I have a 2002 ss camaro! it is stock right now with all the slp stuff on it! i want some more horsepower and better 1/4 mile times!what should i do? should i go with a supercharger or what? please help! thank you!

Superchargers produce too much heat! Unless you go intercooled which will reduce that problem. In my opinion turbos are better but more expensive. You probably know this but the colder the air is when it is combusted the more power you will get out of that stroke, when a supercharger spins it produces heat and the heat is disspersed into the incoming air, so by the time the air gets to your engine it can be extremely hot which equals less power per oxygen atom, which defies the point of forcing the air into the engine in the first place( of course you still will get increased performance because there will be more oxygen per stroke, but the power ratio per oxygen atom will be less). like I said before if you get a supercharger with a intercooler you can reduce this problem(avoid air to air intercoolers)I feel that turbos are better !!GO OLDSKOOL!!

PS some superchargers advertise 80% or 100% horsepower increase, be very weary of these because most of them are running 16+ psi boost which is certaintly more than a stock engine will handle. 8 psi is about the most a stock engine will take and unless you want to have an extra hole in your engine the size of a melon don't go over 8 psi

someone correct me if I am wrong

Black
    2000 WS6

I run a Vortech V9 Gtrim with aftercooler. I stay around 8 - 10 lbs (stock bottom end).

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

turbos produce more heat. and an intercooler is just as important witha turbo. check check

and you say "when a supercharger spins it creats heat" dude Turbos spin also. just thought ide let y kno

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by camscam02
    I have a 2002 ss camaro! it is stock right now with all the slp stuff on it! i want some more horsepower and better 1/4 mile times!what should i do? should i go with a supercharger or what? please help! thank you!
    If you can afford it, a Procharger is a great way to go. Drives like stock when out of boost. But you will have around 450 rwhp on tap.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Black
    2002 camaro ss/slp

i really want to run a supercharger not a turbo to much hassle for me! but what supercharger will i get the most for my money horsepower wise?

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by camscam02
    i really want to run a supercharger not a turbo to much hassle for me! but what supercharger will i get the most for my money horsepower wise?
    Read through Bob's (with EPP) suggestions. He has about 15 steps to get you into a very fast and reliable car. He's one of the best and will do his best to steer you in the right directions. The question you ask is very common. Check out some of the other threads with his opinions, he's very well respected. Good luck!

P.S. - As Ed said, 450+ rwhp is no problem (stock bottom end) with a "standard" ProCharger set up.

White
    '10 ZR1

Found it for you, it's on this page. Scroll down to Bob with EPP's reply.

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402

P.S. - Ed, should this FAQ be turned into a "sticky"??

Black
    2002 camaro ss/slp

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys
    thank you i saw that yesterday it sounds like a pretty good plan!

You should have no problems reaching your HP goal. Done correctly you can brake the 500rwhp mark and still have a great driver...... And yes EPP is a great place to help you meet those needs.
    2001 WS6 Artic White, M6,Procharger D1SC, Custom air box for use of stock filter and location, and ram air function.ATI Superdampner 8 rib drive 540.3Hp 533.8Tq @ 9psi,

Black
    2002 camaro ss/slp

yea that place does sound good aand that 500 hp too but i cant go to EPP because i live in california! does ne body know of a good place in cali?

Were you looking to have someone for a full install? The Procharger kit it a easy kit to install, which you could do yourself. All you would do is need to have a good dyno tune after the installation. You can even purchase a kit with a hand held tunner to do it yourself, not the best way to go about it, dyno tune is the best..

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6402

Yep

Silver
    '02 WS6 Procharged 9psi

Go with the P1SC tuner kit. It comes with a tuner, injectors, and an external fuel pump. I installed the kit myself in just 2 days. I had bob at EPP do the tuning, and also put on a smaller pulley (9psi at redline). Dyno'd at 486rwhp, so 525-550 or so at the block. Since, i have put 15,000 miles on the car, and everything is running great! but if u want to utilize this power, u will need some great tires, which in turn will demand a better rear end and most likely suspension. All these, i dont have yet, so i smoke my tires alot instead of going forward. i dont think there is a better solution to your needs.

Red
    1998 M6 vert TA

I like my 6 PSI Vortech. It's the quitest supercharger around but it's a lot of fun!
    Water/alcohl injection takes care of the the overheated charge air
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

Black
    2002 V6 Camaro

If you don't want to buy an intercooler for the S/C, you can go with water/methanol injection to cool down the intake temps. Aquamist, Coolingmist, and Snow Performance all make quality water injection kits. An intercooler + water injection would be ideal though, and would allow you to tune much more aggressively and still fight off detonation....
    Last edited by failsafe306; 01-13-2006 at 04:52 PM.

rickyhaiber
    what you should do is turbo it....and get Snow Performances Methanol Boost Cooler with it and you will make tons more power than any supercharger will....even those PoorCharger guys....it more and will take longer but good things come to those who wait and it will be worth it once you have it on, trust me.....and it will alos be unique instead of being like EVERY other supercharged V8 driving around....jmo

rickyhaiber
    also, some more facts that may help out....

1.you can adjust boost on your turbo with the turn of a dila on your boost controller, no need to change an entire belt for that

2.you will be able to make more power than a supercharger at a lower boost level

3.turbo kits (most) come with an intercooler

4.turbos are a much more efficient form of forced induction....far superior to supercharging

some bad things about going turbo.....
    1.more extensive installation

2.sometimes a bit more expensive (but turbos also come with more stuff like fuel pumps, injectors, intercooler, MAF, etc.) depending on what kits your comparing

superchargers dont even make full boost until you hit redline....with a turbo (if its properly sized for your engine) it should be at full boost anytime from 2500-3000 RPM and up

turbos also produce more torque if its properly sized

peak horsepower that all the supercharger guys claim isnt that useful if it doesnt make it until redline....search online and do some research about turbos vs supercharger and look at the dyno graphs of turbo and supercharged cars and see how much more power the turbos make throughout the entire powerband....

if you want to be satisfied with your money that you invest then go turbo.....it may be expensive, but a supercharger isnt cheap either.....

sorry for the long post, though!

HI-po I know turbos spin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information