Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Headers or manifolds on a STS turbo car?

OK folks. I drop the car off tomorrow to get an STS kit installed. I currently have full length ceramic coated hooker headers with the matching off road Y pipe. From what I've been told the stock manifolds are actually better. Any thoughts? The guy doing the install for me is awesome and really knows his stuff so I trust him. It's just hard to see my beautiful new headers get yanked off my car. By the way, anyone in need of a perfect set of headers and a Y pipe?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Anyone...anyone...Bueler????????????????

blue
    89 Camaro RS

why would u put manifolds back on??
    headers will help it,specially ceramic coated ones,they will keep the ex gasses slightly hotter, which will help spool the turbo

Many people say and have tested that the stock manifolds hold heat better than headers. Most of us STS guys keep the stock manifolds to keep the heat in to improve spool time. If you insist on keeping your LT's I suggest you wrap the headers and everything from the headers back to the turbo to try and keep the heat in.

The theory about wrapping the exhaust didn't sit to well with me at first but when I wrapped my stock manifolds and 3" hot side piping it made a believer out of me.

I'm sure a few other STS guys might jump in and give you their opinion. You might try LS1tech.com, there's a lot of STS guys there(including myself) that can definatley help out too!

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I Actually Spoke With Sts About This Same Topic, They Claim Through Testing That The Stock Manifolds Are The Best. I Hate To Do This But To Help You Out I Will Trade You My Stock Manifolds.
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Actually I still have the stock manifolds I took off. Thanks for stepping up to help a brother out though. LOL My real gripe was getting read of my preaty headers for the stock trashing looking manifolds. I felt like I was taking a step back. However, I found a place today that is going to jet hot coat my manifolds for me. I'm also havong my stock amnifolds ported. I feel better now. Thanks for the info. I'll be sure and post numbers once we get the car done so everyone knows how it turns out. I'm guessing I'll be seeing a clutch and rear end in my near future. I'm hoping it will all last for a little while since I won't be taking it to the track or doing any high RPM sticky tire launches. We'll see. Thanks again.

Thread Information