Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

general questions about a procharger

This is a discussion on general questions about a procharger within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; see this is what i wanted to hear. I plan on forging just the internals so it would probably be ...

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

see this is what i wanted to hear. I plan on forging just the internals so it would probably be best that i run 8 psi. As far as traction goes ed or packy-if i floor the car doing 60 mph on the highway with my 3.23 gears and i have umi lower control arms with relo brackets,umi drag sway bar,umi Adj torque arm,umi adj panhard bar,umi subframes, and koni 4/4's with some BFG kdw's will i break them loose or just chirp them. Because i dont want to lose control and wreck the car. Also can u drive them through a car wash or should i stay away from those too? Do u have to change the oil on the blower?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have been told you have to change it once it hits the first 500 miles, then every 5000 miles after that. I might be anal, but I would change it every 3k when I have to do the motor. I dont think it could hurt
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

yea i change my oil every 3000 which is like every 5 months cuz i rarely drive the damn thing so that wouldnt be an issue. I really wanna know about the car wash and the traction issues while flooring it on the highway though

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    yea i change my oil every 3000 which is like every 5 months cuz i rarely drive the damn thing so that wouldnt be an issue. I really wanna know about the car wash and the traction issues while flooring it on the highway though
    I would be more worried about clearance issues as opposed to water when I take it to get washed.

Edit: Dude those 3.23's are really holding you back. LOL you have no idea what your missing. When you get the 9"/12 bolt, dont go any less than 3.73.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

nah i clear everything here just fine, but then again i havent put on my stranos or konis or any of that stuff either. as far as 3.73 thats what i was leaning towards but when the motor gets blown, i dont wanna have to worry about traction loss on the highway because i floored it

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

see this is what i wanted to hear. I plan on forging just the internals so it would probably be best that i run 8 psi. As far as traction goes ed or packy-if i floor the car doing 60 mph on the highway with my 3.23 gears and i have umi lower control arms with relo brackets,umi drag sway bar,umi Adj torque arm,umi adj panhard bar,umi subframes, and koni 4/4's with some BFG kdw's will i break them loose or just chirp them. Because i dont want to lose control and wreck the car. Also can u drive them through a car wash or should i stay away from those too? Do u have to change the oil on the blower?
    With a Procharger at 8psi you will have to run Drag Radials or some really good good radial tires to not have traction issues. At 60mph you may get chirp to a mild spin depending on the Stall to Torque Ratio (STR) of the converter you pick. Yes you have to change the oil out in the blower but I think it lasts for like 10,000 miles or something like that. I do mine every year because my car doesn't see but 3,000 miles per year if its lucky. No worries about a the drive through car wash unless it flood higher than your door jamb.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

3.73's would be perfect maybe even a 3.54's for an A4.

Your engine builder will give you instructions on the motor but usually break in with regular oil for 500 miles and then run regular or a synthetic blend til the first 3,500 miles then whatever you want. I still use regular oil in my TA though because I change it more often than i should and only pay $25 for every oil change vice $60. I use regular Pennzoil or Mobil 1 oil usually with a AC Delco filter.
    Last edited by Packy; 08-03-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I would run 3.73's if you dont want a big stall.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

well i wanted to go with the 3.73's with my 12 bolt but i dont want to have traction issues with the lower gears, i was even thinking of going to 2.73 to avoid a spinout at 65 mph

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

With the kind of power you want to make, you will have a little traction problem no matter what. Why the hell would you want 2.73's???

LOL dude if you are worried about traction and low end power and dont want to bother with a stall,gears,etc... I would throw on a Harris Speed Works kit and be done with it.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

well i wanted to go with the 3.73's with my 12 bolt but i dont want to have traction issues with the lower gears, i was even thinking of going to 2.73 to avoid a spinout at 65 mph
    I still run a 3.73 gear in my TA with a big stall. You will not spinout unless you try and hit it in the rain.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

What's your thoughts on a 4.11 gear with a Procharger with an otherwise stock engine? Car is M6 obviously.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    What's your thoughts on a 4.11 gear with a Procharger with an otherwise stock engine? Car is M6 obviously.
    It is ok but if you want to go to the track then you will need taller tires or else you may run out of gear at the big-end. I would stay with 3.73's myself. I ran my car with 3.73's when it was six speed and it had good power band and still got excellent gas mileage!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have tuned many stock bottom end cars that make 620-675rwhp on the dynojet 224 that I tune on. All use meth. All have been running for >1 year, some of them for 5 now. Most of them average in the 630-645 range. The vette on the front page of my site that set the M6 stock longblock Z06 record has hundreds of passes (really, as in >300) at 675rwhp. All of these cars run Alkcontrol methanol kits and and have two nozzles. All of the LS1's at this level have swapped cams. You need the upper RPM room to make the power. Guys love to go insane over the cam, but something like a 224/228 114LSA will give you the power up top and can drive like stock. An LS9 cam is cheap and is ideal for this level of FI. Use methanol injection and get a good tune (it's trite I know, but you need to to keep a stock bottom end together in the 600s) as well as your own gauge style wideband so that you can spot trouble before it causes an issue.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information