Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Forged internals for FI

This is a discussion on Forged internals for FI within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS I got an e-mail back from him today. His pricing for install has made me strongly ...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I got an e-mail back from him today. His pricing for install has made me strongly consider having him just install everything now for me....decisions decisions.

I know I'll have trouble with the piping and will need to have a shop install the injectors as well anyway...

Assuming I had him do the install, what would be your charge to tune it for me when you came out?

Also - Do you think I need a BAP with this or no? I will be running the Racetronix kit with 60-lb injectors. I plan on going with a meth kit too, probably not until next spring though.

Thanks!

I can't quote traveling tuning until I have a lineup because travel expenses are broken down and split up between customers.

I'm not much into the BAPs on GenIII stuff, but I suppose... If you want to run meth, you need to put it on the car. Adding it later will require more than a little re-tuning. You DO want it too

Black
    2000 SS

Run a hot wire kit!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I thought the Racetronix kit was a hot wire hit...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I can't quote traveling tuning until I have a lineup because travel expenses are broken down and split up between customers.

I'm not much into the BAPs on GenIII stuff, but I suppose... If you want to run meth, you need to put it on the car. Adding it later will require more than a little re-tuning. You DO want it too
    I guess I just don't want to starve this thing. I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not the Racetronix pump can provide enough fuel for what I am doing because of voltage drop.

I mean the whole purpose of the BAP is only to increase voltage right?

I thought the hot wire kit (plug-n-play) Racetronix did just that by using upgraded wiring that is a direct connection so you do not lose voltage.

The BAP is like $250 so if I don't need it, I don't want to spend the extra money and I can put that towards an Alky Meth kit. Two shops now have said get a BAP.

Black
    2000 SS

I guess I just don't want to starve this thing. I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not the Racetronix pump can provide enough fuel for what I am doing because of voltage drop.

I mean the whole purpose of the BAP is only to increase voltage right?

I thought the hot wire kit (plug-n-play) Racetronix did just that by using upgraded wiring that is a direct connection so you do not lose voltage.

The BAP is like $250 so if I don't need it, I don't want to spend the extra money and I can put that towards an Alky Meth kit. Two shops now have said get a BAP.
    I dont think you need it because thats what the hot wire kit is for.... Frost pretty much says the same thing and I know that he knows his shit.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

The Racetronix pump and harness, along with 60lb injectors and methanol will take you to 550rwhp (M6). On my OWN car, to find the limit, I pushed a single pump (return fuel system though), meth. and 60lbers to 640rwhp. My fuel pressure fell to 37-38psi at peak demand. That is not desirable obviously, but it was repeatable and it showed me how far one could go. On these cars, if they need more, I usually run a Hobbs-switched second pump personally.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The Racetronix pump and harness, along with 60lb injectors and methanol will take you to 550rwhp (M6). On my OWN car, to find the limit, I pushed a single pump (return fuel system though), meth. and 60lbers to 640rwhp. My fuel pressure fell to 37-38psi at peak demand. That is not desirable obviously, but it was repeatable and it showed me how far one could go. On these cars, if they need more, I usually run a Hobbs-switched second pump personally.
    So for now, on 8psi, I will be fine with the single pump.

I understand that adding a 2nd pump now will be cheaper than dropping the tank a second time to install another pump later on, but I don't plan on making any more power than the stated 8psi for quite a while and I will just deal with the fueling issue later on if and when I decide to go that route.

Thanks for the info Steve!

Black
    2000 SS

Personally i say anything over 550rwhp should be running a dual pump set up!

Black
    2000 SS

Ive been running 9psi with a single pump for 2 years now!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by youngrigo View Post
    Personally i say anything over 550rwhp should be running a dual pump set up!
    For whatever reason though, not all of these setups are equal. I had a car make 580rwhp with a single pump and single meth nozzle not long ago and didn't have any pressure drop past the norm.

Black
    2000 SS

For whatever reason though, not all of these setups are equal. I had a car make 580rwhp with a single pump and single meth nozzle not long ago and didn't have any pressure drop past the norm.
    Sorry... I should have been clear. Im talking about without meth.

Meth changes the whole ball game

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yep.

The only people that don't like it either haven't run it, or they had a Snow kit in the past that failed.

Black
    2000 SS

Alky control FTW

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe this is the kit number I need: #AC109 Kit

I need to call for pricing tomorrow.

Frost - Just a general question, but does adding a MI system add to the expense of the tune?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

OK so I'm just doing some fine tuning now on all the odd and end pieces here.

Here is my final list (I think). Just making sure I'm getting EVERYTHING so I don't have to wait on ordering more parts once I get started.

D-1SC Head Unit - Satin finish
    - ATI brackets/hardware
    - ATI Drain Upgrade
    - ATI truck inlet hat/filter
    - ATI pinning kit
    Single FMIC
    - Core Size 24"X12"X3"
    - Overall Size 31"x12"x3"
    - 3" Inlet & Outlet, 3" Core
    8 Rib Drive System
    Aster Tensioner Bracket
    LS2 Water Pump - Part #89018052
    Red Race Bypass Valve - ATI 3FASS-007 Race Valve
    Auto Meter Triple Pillar Pod, 2-1/16" - Part #43-12213
    Auto Meter 4904 - Auto Meter Ultra-Lite II Analog Gauges - Boost Gauge
    Auto Meter 6563 - Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Digital Series Gauges - Fuel Pressure Gauge
    Auto Meter 4378 - Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Digital Gauges - Wideband A/F Gauge
    Racetronix Fuel Pump - # F99-FPA
    Wiring Harness for fuel pump - # 99-FPWH
    Siemens Deka Mototron 60lb Injector Set of 8
    AlkyControl Methanol Injection Kit - Complete kit #AC109 Kit

Have most of you with an aftermarket fuel pump dropped the tank to install or went the window access route?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

After spending hours under our car, there is no question that I would drop the tank to replace the pump. GMHTP had a recent article where they installed the Racetronix pump in an F-body. Didn't look all that difficult really.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    After spending hours under our car, there is no question that I would drop the tank to replace the pump. GMHTP had a recent article where they installed the Racetronix pump in an F-body. Didn't look all that difficult really.
    OK. That's good to hear. I was on the fence with going the window access route. Thanks for the information Jeff.

Black
    2000 SS

Window access mod FTW IMO! Makes life so much easier! I can switch pumps in 20 min!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I believe this is the kit number I need: #AC109 Kit

I need to call for pricing tomorrow.

Frost - Just a general question, but does adding a MI system add to the expense of the tune?
    Not if I am tuning it.

I like the trap-door for the pump because if there is ANY issue (and 2 out of 5 seem to have some issue at first) it's a 3 minute job to get back to the pump vs. dropping the rear again and dropping the tank again. Also any upgrades in the future (twin pumps, etc) are made easy.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Not if I am tuning it.

I like the trap-door for the pump because if there is ANY issue (and 2 out of 5 seem to have some issue at first) it's a 3 minute job to get back to the pump vs. dropping the rear again and dropping the tank again. Also any upgrades in the future (twin pumps, etc) are made easy.
    +1 to that. I love the trap door for any changes that need to be made and if you get a defective pump it allows you to isolate the problem easier without having to dissassemble everything to get in there just to change it out.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information