Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Forged internals for FI

This is a discussion on Forged internals for FI within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Thanks for the input. I'll be calling Mark this weekend to get some pricing on things. I'm hoping nothing is ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks for the input. I'll be calling Mark this weekend to get some pricing on things. I'm hoping nothing is damaged internally. The car runs pretty strong and only has 20,XXX on it.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    You are ready for a blower! Buy a kit now with injectors and a fuel pump then get it tuned! You will have enough money so you can sort out going forged later. Especially in Illinois the air stays relatively crisp there. It's a perfect blower climate! I grew up there.
    This!!

buy the blower and fuel system now. Get a GOOD tune and enjoy 9ish PSI for a bit.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Packy, or anyone else for that matter...

What gauges did you go with? Any pics? I want a 3-pillar pod (A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure) Looking at Autometer.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Packy, or anyone else for that matter...

What gauges did you go with? Any pics? I want a 3-pillar pod (A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure) Looking at Autometer.
    I went with Boost, Fuel Pressure, and wideband A/F. I have a conglomeration of gauges from a regular autometer boost gauge, Cobalt C2 series FP gauge, and Autometer wideband. I didn't play that coordination crap.

I hope you ordered that S/C kit. With 20,000 miles your car is so ready for a D1SC to the tune of 8-9 psi! I hope you enjoy! I know I did and still do but I have a lowely little P1SC...
    Last edited by Packy; 11-19-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I went with Boost, Fuel Pressure, and wideband A/F. I have a conglomeration of gauges from a regular autometer boost gauge, Cobalt C2 series FP gauge, and Autometer wideband. I didn't play that coordination crap.

I hope you ordered that S/C kit. With 20,000 miles your car is so ready for a D1SC to the tune of 8-9 psi! I hope you enjoy! I know I did and still do but I have a lowely little P1SC...
    I called Mark a few days ago and some other places...just waiting on pricing from a few places now

I still need to finalize on what gauges I like. I probably will go with digital over mechanical...not sure yet.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I called Mark a few days ago and some other places...just waiting on pricing from a few places now

Sounds good! I can't wait to see what you think when you get it installed and tuned. Who are you going to have do the tuning?

I still need to finalize on what gauges I like. I probably will go with digital over mechanical...not sure yet.
    I only have a mechanical boost guage. The other two are digital. I would not want to ever try to rig a mechanical fp guage into my cabin...

Last edited by Packy; 12-13-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Got my quote back from Mark. Just waiting now on some other questions to be answered. I still need to pick out some gauges.

I'd really like to see pictures of gauges and pillar pods installed if anyone has any.

I'll search the threads also as this might already be a thread here. It's hard to tell what I would like just by looking at a picture of just the gauge online on Autometer's website.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The colors look a bit strange in the pic -- but they are both black faced gauges with red displays. LC-1 air/fuel gauge on top of an Autometer fuel pressure gauge:

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks for the pictures Jeff. I like that.

Mark - I sent you a PM but never got a response.

Can you give me a break down of what all is included in that price you quoted me?

Example:
    - D1SC head unit with 8-rib drive set-up, ATI balancer, and crank pin kit
    - Which intercooler set-up?
    - All required hardware and piping to install I assume
    - Fuel pump?
    - Injectors? Brand? Size?

What if I want it polished?

Thanks!

Jon
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 12-13-2010 at 07:01 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Hey Jon,

few thoughts in bold below

Example:
    - D1SC head unit with 8-rib drive set-up, ATI balancer, and crank pin kit - yes!
    - Which intercooler set-up? - front mount
    - All required hardware and piping to install I assume - generally yes but some cars may be a little 'special' and need a random odd or end with ANY FI kit, even the most 'complete'. Don't let it bother you.
    - Fuel pump? - I like the Racetronix pump and harness. They are factory plug-ins, perserve the function of the fuel bucket (vs. cutting it up for a regular Walbro), and guarantee a high quality pump. There are many Chinese Walbro knock-offs these days.
    - Injectors? Brand? Size? - Go with Siemens 60's now. They will cover you with room to grow and are an extremely reliable unit.

What if I want it polished? - You don't... you can't see it at all unless you are basically under the front end of the car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Hey Jon,

few thoughts in bold below
    Thanks for the information Frost. I appreciate your comments.

Is there a better set-up for the FMI over the other?

Example: I know there are twin, smaller intercoolers and then there is a single, larger intercooler. Which intercooler is the best to go with? I assume for all street purposes and from what I've read online, an air-to-air is best.

I've read good things on the Siemens and had planned on going with the 60-lb ones. Thanks for the info on the Racetronix. I initially was going to go with the Walbro 255 pump.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Thanks for the information Frost. I appreciate your comments.

Is there a better set-up for the FMI over the other?

Example: I know there are twin, smaller intercoolers and then there is a single, larger intercooler. Which intercooler is the best to go with? I assume for all street purposes and from what I've read online, an air-to-air is best.

I've read good things on the Siemens and had planned on going with the 60-lb ones. Thanks for the info on the Racetronix. I initially was going to go with the Walbro 255 pump.
    Racetronix is the simplest way to do it cheap without having to fab anything on your own like you do with the Walbro. Like he said the intercoolers that come with the kits are the standard twin IC's that tuck up under the front of your car. It is much better to go with a single front mount with a red race ready Bypass valve. I have that now and wish that I would have did a FMIC with the red race ready Bypass along time ago. I think that the twin 4.5" inch IC's which are standard on all D1SC kits now are decent but I can tell you in my experience with them they heat up pretty quick. When I make a run or drive around to where the car gets up to operating temp mine are warm to the touch afterwards. If you go with the FMIC you can also get rid of the god forsaken airbox that cracks over time since it is just made out of sheet metal that flexes under boost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Still haven't heard back from Mark...

I might have to call him again.

SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

I'm also looking to SC this spring and have pretty much the same mods as OP. I didn't realize you could go with a plug and play fuel pump, seems like everyone just offers the Walbro with the D1SC kit.

Don't you have to cut up the front bumper with the FMIC? I'm all for running cooler, but not at the expence of cutting up my car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I believe you have to relocate some things for clearance but no cutting is involved that I am aware of.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Jon: Have you considered the front tube bumper support from Burkhart Chassis?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by BrntWS6 View Post
    I'm also looking to SC this spring and have pretty much the same mods as OP. I didn't realize you could go with a plug and play fuel pump, seems like everyone just offers the Walbro with the D1SC kit.

Don't you have to cut up the front bumper with the FMIC? I'm all for running cooler, but not at the expence of cutting up my car.
    You only have to cut a small bit of it away for an FMIC on a TA. I am unsure how much if any you need to cut away on a Camaro. I guess it probably depends on which grill you begin with. You might wanna try Bob at Brute Speed.?. That is Bob from the old EPP.
    Last edited by Packy; 12-19-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Jon: Have you considered the front tube bumper support from Burkhart Chassis?
    Link? I looked on their site, but didn't see this.

Mark - Are you MIA??? Still never heard back from you!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Packy - I'm going to give Bob a call and ask him some questions.

I haven't talked to Bob in about a year now...I am very positive he will remember me though

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Packy - I'm going to give Bob a call and ask him some questions.

I haven't talked to Bob in about a year now...I am very positive he will remember me though

Sounds good! I know that when I am ready to go to an F1A I will be calling him up. His prices are the best that I have seen and he will piece together kits to make what you want. Plus he has a good knowledge base with the F-body platform and Prochargers since he actually owned one, raced it, and did all the work on it too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information