Thread: FI Questions

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

FI Questions

I'm planning on getting a 454 LSx Stroker, and I was wondering if it was safe to install a supercharger on a new motor. I was planning on completely rebuilding my Camaro this winter (hopefully beginning soon if I buy this shop) and I was going to install pretty much everything all at the same time. I was wondering if it was better to break in the motor before i add the charger or if it mattered. I was planning on putting the Procharger D1SC kit on (I would prefer the F-1A kit though). I can still use the FAST LSx intake with this charger right?? and how much boost can I push with the D1 kit? Thanks I know it's a lot of questions.

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

You can boost a fresh motor. Just make sure you seat the rings properly.
    Same method applies.

DO NOT baby a fresh motor.

red
    2000 camaro ss

tranny fluid helps the rings seat. smear a healthy amount on your cylinders right before you put head on.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagic08 View Post
    I'm planning on getting a 454 LSx Stroker, and I was wondering if it was safe to install a supercharger on a new motor. I was planning on completely rebuilding my Camaro this winter (hopefully beginning soon if I buy this shop) and I was going to install pretty much everything all at the same time. I was wondering if it was better to break in the motor before i add the charger or if it mattered. I was planning on putting the Procharger D1SC kit on (I would prefer the F-1A kit though). I can still use the FAST LSx intake with this charger right?? and how much boost can I push with the D1 kit? Thanks I know it's a lot of questions.
    I'd go with an aluminum intake for this setup...maybe even a carb intake with an elbow...

Red
    2002 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS View Post
    I can only give you my personal experience. In my Z06 I went with a forged 346ci and has a FAST 90mm Intake, and LS2 throttle body, and a D1SC with a 4.00" pulley designed to make 14lbs. of boost. The shop broke the engine in with the stock intake and throttle body with no supercharger. Then added the other components. I can only say that I had no issues at all and put about 30k miles on the set up before selling. I chat with the new owner occasionally and still no issues. On the LSX 454 I suggest you start with the F-series instead of the D-series. A little more money up front but you will not regrett it. Also make sure that you either already have or plan to have the 8 rib set up. Procharger recommends that you use the Innovators West harmonic balancer. It is designed to provide more belt wrap and help overcome the notorical centrifugal belt issues when you are pushing more than 8psi.

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKNIGHT03Z06 View Post
    I can only give you my personal experience. In my Z06 I went with a forged 346ci and has a FAST 90mm Intake, and LS2 throttle body, and a D1SC with a 4.00" pulley designed to make 14lbs. of boost. The shop broke the engine in with the stock intake and throttle body with no supercharger. Then added the other components. I can only say that I had no issues at all and put about 30k miles on the set up before selling. I chat with the new owner occasionally and still no issues. On the LSX 454 I suggest you start with the F-series instead of the D-series. A little more money up front but you will not regrett it. Also make sure that you either already have or plan to have the 8 rib set up. Procharger recommends that you use the Innovators West harmonic balancer. It is designed to provide more belt wrap and help overcome the notorical centrifugal belt issues when you are pushing more than 8psi.

Makes sense.... thanks for the advice.... it helps quite a bit

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I'd go with an aluminum intake for this setup...maybe even a carb intake with an elbow...
    not a bad idea. i've seen carb manifolds with insane flow.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

I wouldnt even bother with a 8 rib set up...i would do a 10rib. ASP makes a 10 rib kit. you'll have some issues with belt slippage with an F1 and a 454 as some guys are experiancing that i know right now with an 8 rib setup.
    +1 on jumping right to the F series...its a $300 differance if i remember correctly and you'll max that D1 in no time on that big of a motor.
    as far as breakin in a motor...I was allways told you break in the motor the way its gonna be used the rest of its life, which means throw boost at it from jump after ofcourse a few heat cycles and leak check. but im sure like anything else in the world everyone's opinion varies on this theory so you'll have to read up and make up your own mind on what your gonna do.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

Thread Information