Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

Fast 102mm Manifold and 8 LBs of pressure

Would a FAST 102mm Intake Manifold be able to handle the 8 pounds of pressure from a procharger or equivalent forced induction system?

I'm currently looking to buy a manifold for my 1999 Trans Am and was curious if I would be able to use a supercharger or turbo in conjunction with a FAST manifold in the future and how well it would hold under the pressure especially since it is made out of polymer / plastic.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

White
    2001 Camaro SS

Shouldn't be a problem at all at that boost level.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitess View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem at all at that boost level.
    x2.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You are probably going to want to increase that 8psi over time. Just sayin...

I don't know what the limitations are with the FAST with higher boost levels.

98' trans am

The lsxr 102s are much stronger in design foor boosted apps over the 92...get the burst panels also and you will be fine.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I know everyone is deadset on these FAST systems and they are quality pieces but it has been proven a few times with FI that an LS6 intake will flow better than it will. I don't know why because you pick way more power up with the FAST on a simple H/C/I set-ups. One guy on Tech switched his out for the LS6 and made more power under the curve and peaked higher with it. I you plan on going FI you might wanna save your money and put it towards other things you may need.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I know everyone is deadset on these FAST systems and they are quality pieces but it has been proven a few times with FI that an LS6 intake will flow better than it will. I don't know why because you pick way more power up with the FAST on a simple H/C/I set-ups. One guy on Tech switched his out for the LS6 and made more power under the curve and peaked higher with it. I you plan on going FI you might wanna save your money and put it towards other things you may need.
    I can't seem to be able to find the thread about the LS6 manifold vs the Fast manifold, do you mind linking it to me?

98' trans am

i didn't know that..good to know.

i know the 102lsxRs have longer runners than other versions...so that may change the game a little..but who knows..

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Click for full size

i didn't know that..good to know.

i know the 102lsxRs have longer runners than other versions...so that may change the game a little..but who knows..
    Yeah I believe the guy who swapped out had the 90/90 set-up. The 102 maybe different. They are damn nice for N/A and N2O applications. I couldn't see spending the cash for it though if you plan on going FI.

Here is one where it is addressed. The 102 has been tested to 60 psi.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ast-102-a.html
    Last edited by Packy; 08-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

One guy was Drewstein that had added it and his numbers didn't change at all. There were others also that did it too and it yielded the same results. I feel if you are boosted it will help but why waste the money on something that isn't that much of a big deal. Just add more boost!

Here it is: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ged-ls1-2.html

Bryan Wilkinson swapped out and it changed nothing as well.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...o-numbers.html
    Last edited by Packy; 08-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.

Red
    1999 Firebird Trans Am

One guy was Drewstein that had added it and his numbers didn't change at all. There were others also that did it too and it yielded the same results. I feel if you are boosted it will help but why waste the money on something that isn't that much of a big deal. Just add more boost!

Here it is: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...ged-ls1-2.html

Bryan Wilkinson swapped out and it changed nothing as well.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...o-numbers.html
    I'd like to believe that a more expensive part adds performance, but my better judgement and my eyes are telling me that it isn't necessarily the case and it isn't worth the wasted money.

The biggest turn on for me for the fast was the 102mm intake which means a 102mm throttle body could be stuck on it. Bigger intake = more air getting to the engine, but it's also probably true that it doesn't matter as much if I'm going to be building an FI car.

In anycase, do you guys have recommendations for me? I plan on going with a 8lb supercharger with an ls6 manifold for a daily driver.

What's the highest boost I could go with while still keeping my car a nice reliable daily driver?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    I'd like to believe that a more expensive part adds performance, but my better judgement and my eyes are telling me that it isn't necessarily the case and it isn't worth the wasted money.

The biggest turn on for me for the fast was the 102mm intake which means a 102mm throttle body could be stuck on it. Bigger intake = more air getting to the engine, but it's also probably true that it doesn't matter as much if I'm going to be building an FI car.

In anycase, do you guys have recommendations for me? I plan on going with a 8lb supercharger with an ls6 manifold for a daily driver.

What's the highest boost I could go with while still keeping my car a nice reliable daily driver?
    Like I said there are better ways to spend $1,000. That intake is a premium piece if you are going to run N/A or N2O but with FI the gain doesn't negate the cost in my opinion.

You can run up to 15 psi or more in some cases and keep the streetability of any FI car. The LS6 manifold has went 8's by the Ohio boys! It has proved to flow decent and make great numbers all the way up to around 1100hp and it seals with ease and no worries of cracking.

With a stock motor I would only run 8 psi on your vehicle with some fueling upgrades like new pump and injectors. You may be able to get away with 8-10 psi if you use 93 octane and add a Meth kit but that is pushing it a bit and you need to make sure your tuner is very good then if that is the case. Forged motor you can run whatever your builder tells you depending on the parts used and fueling plans.

Black
    99 Silverado

Don't waste your money - go with an LS6...

8 to 10 #s of boost and I highly recommend a meth kit!

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    Would a FAST 102mm Intake Manifold be able to handle the 8 pounds of pressure from a procharger or equivalent forced induction system?

I'm currently looking to buy a manifold for my 1999 Trans Am and was curious if I would be able to use a supercharger or turbo in conjunction with a FAST manifold in the future and how well it would hold under the pressure especially since it is made out of polymer / plastic.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    the material of the manifold isnt the problem with older fast manifolds being damaged by boost. it is the multiple piece design. as opposed to the ls factory manifolds all being 1 peice units. a 1 piece unit has been proven time and time again in reliable boosted builds. now as for the performance department i have no clue on which is clearly beter, ill just keep an eye on what the others have to say.

Thread Information