SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

electronic supercharger movie

is it just me or does this kid have the boost thingy hooked up to the inlet of the device

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Hey, wanna buy a plastic supercharger that's universal for $75.00? Come on now, people have to be smarter than that!

Silver
    2002 Z28

If he hooked it up right maybe it would produces 1psi lol

Silver
    2002 Z28

You know, I entirely understand that these things don't work, but I really don't understand why someone hasn't made one that does...

I mean honestly, even if it required a faster alternator and a 2nd battery, why hasn't someone fabbed something up? High PSI is probably out of the question, but I'd think that 4-5 PSI would be possible.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I 2nd that...
    A supercharger that isn't belt driven and cheaper could def help me out right about now! I'm gonna go invent one and make millions, brb.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Its just like a hybrid car, the energy required to produce the boost would be more than the gains from the "leaf blower mod". But heres an idea, if you could mechanical derive the power, say from exhaust pressure or the engine force it self... now theres an idea

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

no...no..no...you have to put the tornado on also for it to work.....then...you have to get split-fire sparkplugs.....

no........the platinum +4

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    You know, I entirely understand that these things don't work, but I really don't understand why someone hasn't made one that does...

I mean honestly, even if it required a faster alternator and a 2nd battery, why hasn't someone fabbed something up? High PSI is probably out of the question, but I'd think that 4-5 PSI would be possible.
    Yea but anything like that would draw amps off your motor....a turbo doesn't take anything away from ya.....just uses what you'd be throwing away in the exaust.....that's why I love em over superchargers.....

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Yea but anything like that would draw amps off your motor....a turbo doesn't take anything away from ya.....just uses what you'd be throwing away in the exaust.....that's why I love em over superchargers.....
    "A turbo does not take anything away from the motor"..... That is just not true. The gains outweigh the cost, but there is no power adder that has 100% efficiency. I guess you could argue Nitrous, but it still adds some weight haha.
    Last edited by jmhvenom; 08-01-2006 at 11:22 AM.

Ratdaddy07
    Stick a banana in your exhaust and see if it doesn't take power. A turbo restricts exhaust so it definitely cannot be 100% effective, besides that laws of physics thing you have to deal with

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    "A turbo does not take anything away from the motor"..... That is just not true. The gains outweigh the cost, but there is no power adder that has 100% efficiency. I guess you could argue Nitrous, but it still adds some weight haha.
    Did you not read the part about him asking why someone hasn't invented an electronic turbo that works? That is were my statement came from....I know full well how a turbo works....a real turbo....

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hensgens View Post
    Stick a banana in your exhaust and see if it doesn't take power. A turbo restricts exhaust so it definitely cannot be 100% effective, besides that laws of physics thing you have to deal with
    You're comparing a turbo to sticking a banana in your tail pipe? Turbos do not cause a restriction in your exhaust.....I mean dont you see the 2000hp+ pro mod cars that have turbos.....dont think they could get that if they were restrictive.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

everyone knows that the only 100 percent efficient power adder is sticker power,

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by JonD99 View Post
    everyone knows that the only 100 percent efficient power adder is sticker power,
    Only works on Fords or imports.......

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Did you not read the part about him asking why someone hasn't invented an electronic turbo that works? That is were my statement came from....I know full well how a turbo works....a real turbo....

Apparently not, a turbo causes more backpressure, that would be a restriction lol

"You're comparing a turbo to sticking a banana in your tail pipe? Turbos do not cause a restriction in your exhaust.....I mean dont you see the 2000hp+ pro mod cars that have turbos.....dont think they could get that if they were restrictive."

Turbos do cause backpressure, jesus! lol

"One cause of the inefficiency comes from the fact that the power to spin the turbine is not free. Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure. This subtracts a little bit of power from the cylinders that are firing at the same time. "

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Apparently not, a turbo causes more backpressure, that would be a restriction lol

"You're comparing a turbo to sticking a banana in your tail pipe? Turbos do not cause a restriction in your exhaust.....I mean dont you see the 2000hp+ pro mod cars that have turbos.....dont think they could get that if they were restrictive."

Turbos do cause backpressure, jesus! lol

"One cause of the inefficiency comes from the fact that the power to spin the turbine is not free. Having a turbine in the exhaust flow increases the restriction in the exhaust. This means that on the exhaust stroke, the engine has to push against a higher back-pressure. This subtracts a little bit of power from the cylinders that are firing at the same time. "
    Instead of even arguing with you I'll just say go ahead....stick with the "Sticker Horsepower." And, when you're ready to learn about big horsepower let us know......we'll be glad to help......

Thread Information