Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Done with the Rear Mount Turbo!

This is a discussion on Done with the Rear Mount Turbo! within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; wow, yeah it is lol i didnt even notice that until you mentioned it. damn lol from what i have ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

wow, yeah it is lol i didnt even notice that until you mentioned it. damn lol
    from what i have been gathering and what i have learned working with cars, the oiling is the biggest issue when it coes to turbos as a whole. with rear turbos, its complicated by a rear electonic oil pump. The STS pumps were a sorce of agony for alot of guys. The kit itself needs little bits and pieces t make it work properly. If anyone has made a rear turbo work VERY well for themslves and has inspired me too is Zombie on the other LS site. ran 10's with an 88 turbo and 7.50ish rear gears and full weighted car, not gutted. Thats rediculous!
    Now obviously there are somme disadvantages of rear mounts. but front mounts have some disadvantages aswell. its what you put into it. FI is relativly expensive regardless of application. each with its gains and compromises.
    From what ive gathered the traditional american thinkinf of bigger is better is out the window when it comes to rear mounts. Exhaust needs to big closer to stock and Longtubes are apparently a no-no. Huge cams are also not a good idea and huge turbos arnt good unless your motor has been built for it and/or you have a spool valve. Reference from the manifold and used good t-bolt clamps. Oh and an intercooler is a must, regardless of what sts says. AND A TUNE!!

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks bro.
    Yeah it is old lol. But seems it has good info.
    So to mount it on the front what's exactcly needed? I like turbos and I had in mind getting one. I seem used kits for $2000. I could pay that. But there's no way I'll pay over $7000 for that.
    If it was legal in my state. Maybe.

Would you share some info bout your turbo build?
    If I get mine done I wanna mounth in the front.
    I was told that for turbo shorty headers. Could be possible run LTs with the turbo?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Thanks bro.
    Yeah it is old lol. But seems it has good info.
    So to mount it on the front what's exactcly needed? I like turbos and I had in mind getting one. I seem used kits for $2000. I could pay that. But there's no way I'll pay over $7000 for that.
    If it was legal in my state. Maybe.

Would you share some info bout your turbo build?
    If I get mine done I wanna mounth in the front.
    I was told that for turbo shorty headers. Could be possible run LTs with the turbo?

Red
    98 Trans Am

why do you keep double posting? lol
    on our cars, long tubes, unless you turn your car into a strict race car, which i dont think your trying to do, are not gonna work, maybe shortys depending on how they are built and where you wanna put the turbo under the hood.
    usually the stock manifolds hold up well. im actally wishing i never did LTH's now cause i myself wanted to do turbos myself and before i knew better i though i could do LTH and a rearmount.. i still can but im gonna lose alot of my thermal efficient due to this even if i wrap them. unfortunatly, i left my stocks back in the states so im gonna have to wait on that part.
    Front mount is alot more efficient and gives you a wider range of turbos to pik from. Boost is also gonna be easier to make and control.
    To easy the install you might want to look into relocating the battery in the back. Alot of guys lose the A/c to free up some space (not hppening for me), and since your from cali, i wouldnt either. An aftermarket Kmember is always nice and frees up some space. UMI makes a great product.
    Also since your in cali, most likey your gonna run into problems of legality. gotta keep your cats, EGR/Air, and you gotta keep your emissions in check. so power is gonna be hamstinged alittle in order to pass smoggy.
    biggest thing is where can you put the turbo and how are you going to route the hotside?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information