Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Done with the Rear Mount Turbo!

Ok....I know I've been pretty supportive of the whole rear mount turbo idea but after today....I'm done with it!!! Burned up my turbo with a oil issue! I've played around with it far too long! After I get this one rebuilt that bit#$ is going up front where it belongs!!!! Take my advise guys......turbos are great but put them up front and be done with it!!!! The only reason I put it in the back was to keep my a/c but I'm hell bent to put it up front and keep my a/c......I'll let you know how it goes and when it's done I'll put up some pics......may even go from a 76mm to a 88mm....

Black
    '91 turbo fox, '97 vette

Don't blame ya. I don't really get the whole rear mount turbo idea, anyway.

Very nice numbers btw. is there a thread about your build-up? What type of turbo, what engine mods, how much boost, what tranny, what type of fuel, etc... I'd like to make your numbers on pump gas.

Chris

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Arnold View Post
    Don't blame ya. I don't really get the whole rear mount turbo idea, anyway.

Very nice numbers btw. is there a thread about your build-up? What type of turbo, what engine mods, how much boost, what tranny, what type of fuel, etc... I'd like to make your numbers on pump gas.

Chris
    got everything listed in my profile on here......got some pics of the car in one of these threads on here....I'll have to look to find it....

White
    2002 Camaro SS

What happened with the oil?
    2002 Camaro SS STS T67 turbo

2003 SRT-4 some mods

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    What happened with the oil?
    Well......the one thing with rear mount turbos is that you have to have the oil pumped back up to the front of the car. I just never could seem to get the thing to pump the oil out well enough to keep it from spilling over into the intake and exhaust of the turbo. Apparently the oil, from repeated oiling, baked onto the turbo bearings and seized the shaft. I've tried everything to correct this but just can't seem to figure it out. Perhaps a stronger pump but I thought I had a pretty strong one on it. I mean when the thing sat on they dyno it was fine....didn't spill any oil at all.....but get it out on the street and the forces it has to fight while the car is pulling plus the length it has to travel is the problem I think. I've gone round and round with a certain company about this but they dont seem to want to listen. Now I'm just going to do what I should of done all along and put the thing up front. Just an expensive lesson that I hope no one else has to go thru!!!! I've been pretty hard headed in trying to get this setup to work perfectly but I just think it's a design flaw......you can do a search on the web and see that others are having the same issues.....i saw a corvette out there that had so much oil just pouring out of his exhaust.......same setup as mine...same issues....if anyone has or is thinking about a rear mount setup I hope they have better luck than I have.......but hey....no worries.....I'll have it up front in no time and by george I'll keep the A/C in it...lol.....

Before reading your post I thought that the rear mount turbo would be a good idea, but not anymore. Paying what thye want for the setups, you would expect this to not be a problem.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Everything has a problem, somebody always encounters problems, some setups are just flawed. I know a guy who had an sts with no issues, 650/650 to the wheel. It all depends.
    I personally would not go the sts route, but from what i have seen in person it is not that bad.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by zero_proto View Post
    Everything has a problem, somebody always encounters problems, some setups are just flawed. I know a guy who had an sts with no issues, 650/650 to the wheel. It all depends.
    I personally would not go the sts route, but from what i have seen in person it is not that bad.
    True nothing is really bullet-proof but when you have several people complaining about the same thing I think I'd try to find a fix for it.....but hey....I hope anyone that has one has better luck than I did.....

white
    91 coupe

cailey37 - where in Florida are you? I'm in Palm Beach County
    1991 Mustang Coupe: Current - MS1, 5.0 stock short block, World Products heads, Cobra intake, fuel system, T70 turbo, Alky inj, Built AODE, 3.08 gears, all the creature comforts
    Best pass pump gas/alky 10.45 @ 133 (21psi)

Coming soon
    6.0L LQ9 swap, tranny undecided. Turbo size undisclosed

White
    2002 Camaro SS

I was just wondering because I have the STS (~550RWHP) and never had this problem. I was just looking to avoid one if I had to. I did return my oil to the pan though. The whole oil cap return sucked bad. Did you try a restrictor in your oil feed line? Sometimes, aftermarket oil pumps put out too much pressure and cause push past the seals during high rpm pulls. The front mount guys have this issue too. Also, you need a check valve in the return, so oil doesn't drain back down the lines into your turbo when the car is off.

Anyway, once I'm done maxing this system out and have the drive train sqared away, I'm going twins like the APS or the Speed Inc kits. Keep the A/C and loose the lag!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
    I was just wondering because I have the STS (~550RWHP) and never had this problem. I was just looking to avoid one if I had to. I did return my oil to the pan though. The whole oil cap return sucked bad. Did you try a restrictor in your oil feed line? Sometimes, aftermarket oil pumps put out too much pressure and cause push past the seals during high rpm pulls. The front mount guys have this issue too. Also, you need a check valve in the return, so oil doesn't drain back down the lines into your turbo when the car is off.

Anyway, once I'm done maxing this system out and have the drive train sqared away, I'm going twins like the APS or the Speed Inc kits. Keep the A/C and loose the lag!
    Yea I put a .060 restrictor in the line and ran mine to the oil pan also....just not sure what is going on with it. But I'm not willing to keep spending money to risk another turbo back there....I think STS would benefit from a sump to catch residual oil at the bottom of the turbo....that was something I was going to try next but I didn't get the chance with this turbo. I'm pretty sure I can move the thing to the front and still keep my a/c.......a tubular K-member will be required but it's doable.....I'll get some pics up as soon as I'm done......and like I said...I may go with a 88mm this time.....who knows...

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dman344 View Post
    cailey37 - where in Florida are you? I'm in Palm Beach County
    Panama City.....

red
    99 Camaro SS

Hey, i have a question may sound bit noob but i need to ask someone as i have nobody to ask. where i live people here dont have any ideas about Rear mount turbos either front mount turbos lol.What i want to ask is instead of putting oil lines from engine why dont i install a small tank like 1 to 2 liter plastic or steal custom made tank near the oil pump and runs oil line through it. will it works? Does a turbo need hot oil? or just a oil to keep seals and bearings alive. sorry for weak english i hope u'll understand my point.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's been about 4 years since that was posted. I believe STS has the rear turbo setup that most guys go with these days. There was a complete install of an STS several months ago in GM High Tech Performance magazine. From what I have read, I don't see why a remote oil tank would not work. Might need an oil cooler as it would be a closed system.

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

JoshuaGrooms83 has a Thread: Rear Turbos... I know, but it was coming anyway and he is doing a rear turbo with a dedicated oil system. I don't know if he has the system up and running but give him a holler and see what pump he is using. I am also gathering parts to do a twin turbo system. I was originally looking to do a rear system with the dedicated oiling. Now I am doing the manifold system like "APS" but I don't know if a dedicated oiling and water cooling system is worth the trouble and expence or if the engine systems are better left to handle these operations. I also here that using heat wrap for turbos and pipes does more damage in the way of corrosion than it helps. Has anyone here had any experience good or bad with pipe wrap? I also had a quote for coating the hot pipes and tubo housings for aprox
    The cost to ceramic coat the hot side would cost $150 for the pair of manifolds, The turbo housing would be between $50-$75, the APC downpipes would run around $75 each.
    Are these good prices and does this coating work as they say?

Red
    98 Trans Am

still piecing everything together right now. but my idea was that i was going to do a closed loop oiling system then when either the cheapy turbo dies or i just cant get enough out of it anymore lol id switch over to an oil-less turbo and remove the oiling system later. Im custom fabing my pipes so its not going to be an STS kit. Im playing with different routing ideas to see what givess the best undercar clearance too since i have SFC's and I am NOT taking one out just to have a pipe routed in there.

THe idea runs like this,
    twin pumps, one for pushing annd one for pulling. Ensuring that the pull has more power to get out all the oil. Im considering a hardline about 1/2 a foot to a foot on the drain side that will help carry the oil away to a pump then gets pushed into a 2-3 Qrts sump that also has cooling cappibility (something like a B&M oil cooler with a fan) then gets sucked up and pushed out by another pump that has a resrictor and check valve going into the turbo.im gonna try and make it as compact as possible

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Is the sump going in the hatch area or spare tire well or just tucked up under on the outside?

Red
    98 Trans Am

well, not to get this thread too far off topic, but i was gonna try to keep it outside due to noise. twin mocal or turbowerx pumps INSIDE the car would be rediculously annoying after oh 5 minutes lol unless i isolated them in a box to keep noise levels down inside the car

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I know this thread Is old.
    But I see the main problem on the rear mount turbo. Is the the oil not running
    Fast enough right? Since the distance.
    So the STS turbo is not the problem?
    It could be mounted in the front?
    That's needed to do that?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I know this thread Is old.
    But I see the main problem on the rear mount turbo. Is the the oil not running
    Fast enough right? Since the distance.
    So the STS turbo is not the problem?
    It could be mounted in the front?
    That's needed to do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information