Does a turbo affect your gas mileage any?

If I remember correctly, not all turbo installs require new fuel injectors or fuel pumps. In this situation would a turbo negatively affect gas mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by PwnJabi View Post
    If I remember correctly, not all turbo installs require new fuel injectors or fuel pumps. In this situation would a turbo negatively affect gas mileage?
    Only in boost. A lot of it depends on the tune.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it depends on how fast you want to go, or how often you are using the turbo, if your turbo spools and creates more dense air , your ecu will give it more fuel for MORE POWER!

Yes a turbo will affect gas milage. A turbo is no different than a normally aspirated motor, it just makes power in a different way.

Remember any hp level requires a certain amount of fuel to make the power.

If you are in boost you are using more gas to make the power. If you are not in boost you are not using any more gas than you normally would.

The nice part is that your right foot determines your gas milage.

Quote Originally Posted by PwnJabi View Post

Yellow w/ flames
    2004 GTO

I don't have to tell you the biggest effect of gas milage is your right foot. Seriously I have recently installed a STS rear mount on my 04 GTO and on the highway keeping it at 65 it gets 21mpg. That's with 3:91 gears and the ls1 hot cam. The turbo really did not change the highway mileage as much as the cam dropped from 23 to 21. City milage is crap but I think that is more to my wanting to hear the turbo spool up.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by DadsYellowGoat View Post
    I don't have to tell you the biggest effect of gas milage is your right foot.
    That statement right there is right on! Most of these LS1 cars that don't have big cams in them will get good gas mileage as long as you don't floor them everywhere you go! Even the A4 cars provided you have the right stall for your application and you are not flogging her everywhere you go! My car got like 24 mpg when I drove it to ATL for the F-body Gathering this year. It is all on the driver and how he regulates the gas! My in town mileage is crappy but on the highway I just throw her in 6th, set the cruise, and let it ride!!!
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Black
    87 Buick GN

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Z28 View Post
    Only in boost. A lot of it depends on the tune.
    True dat. You have to remember that under boost...you are pushing more air in...and to compensate for the increased air flow...you have to add more fuel. Under normal driving conditions, you shouldnt see any more fuel consumption if it is properly tuned.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

my ls1 camaro has got good millage, just driving around being easy on the car i get 19-21 per tank in city only driving conditions.

i still havent taken a trip on the highway so im unsure of those numbers.

but i remember before with my stock motor i only use to get 17 around town without the turbo.

but i agree, a good tune will put you where you need to be as far as proper fuel delivery.

then when im spooling and boosting the car its a whole other story the car just loves the fuel and i have to drive from station to station.
    Click for full size
    2000 Camaro SS Black Loaded LS1 6-Speed T-Tops, STS Rear-Mount Turbo, 42Lb Injectors, Racetronixs Fuel pump upgrade system, Custom Tune by Rick Squires @ STS Turbo, Goodyear F1 DS-G3 275 40zr17's. 3.73Rear End.

Silver
    1998 camaro z28

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that the question was geared more toward if under normal driving conditions, would a turbo cause your mpg to decrease. The only parasitic loss from a turbo is the backpressure, so the loss would be so small you wouldn't notice. Now with a supercharger you probably still wouldn't notice, but it would be lower due to the engine having to move another accessory, kinda like having your air on.

oh yeah, and no matter what you do to a car, if you floor it, your going ot use more gas. So you can't say "yeah a turbo is going to cause your mpg to go down, because your gonna stomp on it!" It's the same freaking thing if you stomp on a prius :P

Black
    99 Z28

I dont know too much about turbo charged LS1's but with ricers and 4x4 trucks... Turbos SAVE gas under normal driving conditions... Unless you use it. then common sense tells you otherwise

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by HTX View Post
    I dont know too much about turbo charged LS1's but with ricers and 4x4 trucks... Turbos SAVE gas under normal driving conditions... Unless you use it. then common sense tells you otherwise
    agreed,

with a good tune they will save money.

but some cars are tuned so rich that they dont save money under regular driving.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Oh darn. It's the RIGHT foot!!!

Thread Information