silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

cost friendly twin turbo kit

Hey, I need help deciding on a twin Turbo setup on my 408 Iron block 500+hp Texas speed and performance motor in a 2000 trans am. Would it be best for me 2 build my own? Or is it cheaper 2 find a Kit? I basically wanna find the best bang 4 a Buck! Thanks!!
    Last edited by nativetalon; 10-28-2009 at 11:25 PM.

truck manifold kit...and build it yourself

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...bra_143615.htm
    Last edited by Will@apf; 10-29-2009 at 05:18 AM.

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Thanks bro, I have 2 change the head gaskets on my Tahoe and sell it b4 I have the mney. So I'm trying to get as much info I can on them by then. I currently have around 550 hp on my trans am. And hope 2 have close 2 600 when I change the heads. What do u think I will have after the turbos?
    Last edited by nativetalon; 10-29-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Red
    1999 Firebird TA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nativetalon View Post
    Thanks bro, I have 2 change the head gaskets on my Tahoe and sell it b4 I have the mney. So I'm trying to get as much info I can on them by then. I currently have around 550 hp on my trans am. And hope 2 have close 2 600 when I change the heads. What do u think I will have after the turbos?
    It will very much depend on how much boost you plan to run, and how cool you can keep the AIT.

Using very round numbers for a very rough estimate..... it seems that I've always heard you get about a 6.8% HP gain per pound of boost. (assuming you can flow enough air, and keep the charge cool enough, and of course have the fuel system and tune to support it)

So at about 14.7 psi you will double your HP to 1200 from 600
    At 7.35 psi you will gain 50% more HP to 900 from 600
    etc...etc...

STS claims about a 100 HP gain in an LS1 at 5PSI with their kit.
    (approx 300HP stock to approx 400HP at 5psi)
    Do the math, and that jives with the 6.8% increase per psi.

I know for a fact I run high 11's at 5PSI.... and low 14's at 0PSI. (I did back to back passes a couple weekends ago at 5psi and then 0psi) Seems like about a 100HP or so difference?
    1999 T/A LS1
    STS rear mount turbo - 5 psi
    48# Injectors, 3600 Yank converter
    Other that that, all stock.
    Best ET so far, 11.91 @ 114.47 w/1.60 60'

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Wow, u guys have been helpful and are really smart. I really hate 2 ramble on with a million and one questions but I am somewhat new to this and for me, breaking ground with every step I take. And I have no one else 2 turn 2. But, I understand that there are many variables that effect the performance of a motor. Basically my heads are too small 4 my motor and I want a twin Turbo setup that is practical for my funds. Will the AFR 225's, ls3 heads, (or any other suggestions) be suitable for my plans? What else will have to be modified, injectors, fuel pump, power coils...etc? And where should I look for the Turbo kit, does it come with everything i need, an intercooler, do I even need one? How much am I looking 2 spend? Thanks. ..
    Last edited by nativetalon; 10-30-2009 at 02:10 AM.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Wow, u guys have been helpful and are really smart. I really hate 2 ramble on with a million and one questions but I am somewhat new to this and for me, breaking ground with every step I take. And I have no one else 2 turn 2. But, I understand that there are many variables that effect the performance of a motor. Basically my heads are too small 4 my motor(what heads are your running?) and I want a twin Turbo setup that is practical for my funds. Will the AFR 225's, ls3 heads, (AFR 225's are probably a little overkill, and the LS3's wont bolt on a ls1, u need a minimum of a 4" bore) (or any other suggestions) be suitable for my plans? What else will have to be modified, injectors, fuel pump, power coils...etc? (You will need bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, stock coils are fine.) And where should I look for the Turbo kit, does it come with everything i need, an intercooler, do I even need one? How much am I looking 2 spend? (ALOT) Thanks. ..

My answers are in the quote.

white
    2000 Z28

bang for buck is nowhere near turboes. if you dont have someone who knows FI to help you through the whole build, even if you do, i would steer clear of trying to get by as cheap as possible. cheap is never a good thing. though it can be done but for someone with limited knowledge you would be better off making sure it is done right as opposed to cheap. it is never to anyones benefit if you happen to skimp out on one little piece that could possibly destroy the whole build to the point that it has to be started from scratch. just make sure you do it right.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Some kits will include the intercooler, fuel pump, etc. while others don't. You just have to do research to make sure you are getting everything or the right parts that are necessary to get the maximum HP for your set up. Personally, if I had the money, I would get a procharger....

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Overkill?? (Explain), what heads do u suggest? And I'm not sure wat type of Heads are on it now. the previous owner told me wat they were, and said they would gain bt 40hp with bigger. But its been so long I 4got. Lol. Sometimes I can be a (stupid man). And what about a used supercharger? I found one from a mustang cobra for $1000. Cant any charger be fabricated to fit? I really only have about $5000 for this job. Do I have enough? Or I shouldn't even try if I'm on a budget?

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

$5K, unless you are putting it on yourself....I suggest save almost twice that much just in case you need other supporting parts...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Wow, u guys have been helpful and are really smart. I really hate 2 ramble on with a million and one questions but I am somewhat new to this and for me, breaking ground with every step I take. And I have no one else 2 turn 2. But, I understand that there are many variables that effect the performance of a motor. Basically my heads are too small 4 my motor and I want a twin Turbo setup that is practical for my funds. Will the AFR 225's, ls3 heads, (or any other suggestions) be suitable for my plans? What else will have to be modified, injectors, fuel pump, power coils...etc? And where should I look for the Turbo kit, does it come with everything i need, an intercooler, do I even need one? How much am I looking 2 spend? Thanks. ..
    It will cost you any way you look at it,you will need everything you listed,I have ran up to 18 psi on a stock ls2.tune is everything,I use SD and HP tuners.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Overkill?? (Explain), what heads do u suggest? And I'm not sure wat type of Heads are on it now. the previous owner told me wat they were, and said they would gain bt 40hp with bigger. But its been so long I 4got. Lol. Sometimes I can be a (stupid man). And what about a used supercharger? I found one from a mustang cobra for $1000. Cant any charger be fabricated to fit? I really only have about $5000 for this job. Do I have enough? Or I shouldn't even try if I'm on a budget?
    Unless youre running a stroker, which it doesnt sound like you are, then I would probably keep runner volume to around 215 or so. Those AFR's flow like crazy and you dont need the big runner to make power with them.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    bang for buck is nowhere near turboes. if you dont have someone who knows FI to help you through the whole build, even if you do, i would steer clear of trying to get by as cheap as possible. cheap is never a good thing. though it can be done but for someone with limited knowledge you would be better off making sure it is done right as opposed to cheap. it is never to anyones benefit if you happen to skimp out on one little piece that could possibly destroy the whole build to the point that it has to be started from scratch. just make sure you do it right.
    BINGO!..great post...

silver & black
    2000 TA 1979 TA

Thanks, I do hope 2 install them myself with my machinist. And yes it is a stroker motor

Thread Information