Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

compression and boost ?

This is a discussion on compression and boost ? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 10 PSI is ok with a dead on tune!, If i was you i wouldnt do it with a methanol ...

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

10 PSI is ok with a dead on tune!,
    If i was you i wouldnt do it with a methanol injection system, I know of a few cars running 12-13 PSI , But they are methanol injected
    I ran 10-11 PSI on my "Stock" ls1 , headers & ported TB only , i made 566 @ the wheels

My IAT's were only 60 degs
    I have a brand new alky control for anyone interested

Metallic Red/Charcoal
    2000 Z28

Talking

I think you forgot the 150 shot of juice

Black
    01 SS Built LS6 740RWHP

go for it

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Good idea.... Study up on cam profiles then we'll talk...

Exactly what I said.. Pretty basic stuff dude. Long duration= lope, and pulsating turbo or blower.. Shortens their life and reliablity.. ....

By the middle of this year I will have tuned 1,000 setups. Are you sure I am the guy that needs to study up on this?

FINALLY got this car dyno'd on thursday... 20k+ miles with a blower and lopey cam on this forged motor: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...-out-d1sc.html

I can easily find 20 more with blowers and large cams. I would make a public wager that you cannot even find half as many that have ANY TYPE OF blower or turbo failure from a loping cam. Idle gas flow hardly has enough velocity to even spin a turbo, you don't really think it has the velocity to cause some type of damaging surging do you? Back it up. Post up.

I can get FI owners with large cams and plenty of miles in here in numbers and like I said, I'd wager that you won't be able to find 50% as many that will tell of blower or turbo issues from a lope in idle.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    By the middle of this year I will have tuned 1,000 setups. Are you sure I am the guy that needs to study up on this?

FINALLY got this car dyno'd on thursday... 20k+ miles with a blower and lopey cam on this forged motor: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced...-out-d1sc.html

I can easily find 20 more with blowers and large cams. I would make a public wager that you cannot even find half as many that have ANY TYPE OF blower or turbo failure from a loping cam. Idle gas flow hardly has enough velocity to even spin a turbo, you don't really think it has the velocity to cause some type of damaging surging do you? Back it up. Post up.

I can get FI owners with large cams and plenty of miles in here in numbers and like I said, I'd wager that you won't be able to find 50% as many that will tell of blower or turbo issues from a lope in idle.
    Yeah "extremely" drivable what From 3 days experiance? Put that choppy idle in heavy traffic see how "drivable" he thinks it still is.. We're talking about a stock DD here. Not a built up fully forged engine. I've noticed you seem to go around trying to destroy my posts. You seem to think I'm just some kid. I'd wager I've been around messing with cars longer that you EVER have. I don't give 2 shits what your buddies say... You tune automotive computers that are over a decade old with good results, I'm inpressed I gotta lay down.. That does'nt make you of an authority on engine building in my book.. Stick with your tuning business, I'll stick to being a fabricator.. In my oppy you are one of the most arrogant sponcers we have here @ the site.. There's no need for it. You're one in about a million or so. Yeah I said it was very basic stuff because it is.. I've recommended you to many people here and outside of here.. Not that you care but I will recommend others from now on..

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

How is it arrogant to debate what as I see as being incorrect information rather than leaving it here for others to read and think it's solid? He didn't replace his stock cam for that one; his daily driver has been boosted with a lopey cam for years; you just made an assumption.

If you could cite examples to support your claim, you would have done that instead of being mad and calling me names. SHOW ME where a lopey cam has hurt a blower or turbo at idle as you said above. If it was "common knowledge" then the posts would be everywhere and I will tell you I'm wrong. That's the opposite of being arrogant.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/08...out/index.html

Idle/Driveability: A subjective rating of how lumpy or smooth the idle is and the quality of low rpm driveability. Luckily, with the AEM EMS I can make almost any cam idle well but some have to run at 1,200 rpm for stable idle while others run at 800 rpm. With a factory ECU the story is much different. Some more aggressive cams can cause very poor idle or even cause the engine to stall. Also, low speed running can be an issue with some cams and even cause bucking or misfires. I know we're modifying our cars in the interest of making them faster but most of us also use them as a daily driver. That makes this rating high on my list-it's not very fun driving in traffic while your engine keeps stalling out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White
    2008 Hummer H3

How is it arrogant to debate what as I see as being incorrect information rather than leaving it here for others to read and think it's solid? He didn't replace his stock cam for that one; his daily driver has been boosted with a lopey cam for years; you just made an assumption.

If you could cite examples to support your claim, you would have done that instead of being mad and calling me names. SHOW ME where a lopey cam has hurt a blower or turbo at idle as you said above. If it was "common knowledge" then the posts would be everywhere and I will tell you I'm wrong. That's the opposite of being arrogant.
    No one is mad man. You don't think choppy idle is hard on things like blower belts, and their internals? With all that bouncing between rpms? hmm okay then..
    The "common knowledge" as you put it was about lobe angle, durration, and seperation.. NOT about blowers/turbines going bad.. Again drive a lopey cammed FI in heavy traffic every day, day in and day out for possibly hours stuck in traffic. See how long it lasts as a DD. You tell me to base your info on what you've seen or not seen, heard or not heard.. I'd have to say then you've have'nt seen them all! Trust me you have not this is obvious.... Sorry if I hurt your feelings with the name calling, just how I see it as you come off..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

From your link..........

Engine:
    Forged Shortblock from EPP: Diamond pistons, Compstar Rods, ARP Main & Head Studs, Total Seal Rings

D-1SC Procharger, AFR 205's, EPP Front Mount Intercooler (31" x 12" x 4") (SD tune), 8-rib SDCE ( 7.25 crank, 3.4 Reichard Racing Blower Pulley) , Procharger Race Bypass, Alkycontrol, Siemens 60# injectors, Twin Walbro fuel pumps, 228/235 - 113 cam, LS6 Intake, Aeromotive FPR

Exhaust:
    Texas Speed 1 7/8" Long Tubes, Texas Speed ORY pipe w/ merge, Magnaflow Catback w/ Center Mount Exhaust

Transmission:
    Textralia Z-grip Clutch, Textralia 18lb Billet Flywheel, T-56 with Steel 3-4 Shift Fork, Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings, Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder, Polyurethane Trans Mount, B&M Ripper Shifter

Rearend:
    Moser 9in, 31 Spline Axles, 3.70 Gears, Truetrac, PST Driveshaft

I'm not seeing where it's a "stock internal" DD that gets stuck in traffic.. I just see numbers from dyno runs.....and praises from others and to you.... I also see that they have to get another piece of equiptment for 2 different tunes to even be streetable.. If it has such great drivability why would they need 2 tunes? Hmmm.. This thread has gone far enough astray and does'nt pertain to a stock internaled engine which is what the OP has...
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-21-2010 at 11:12 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Original post:

I'm looking to up the boost on my 98 SS. I have a vortech G-trim supercharger, with a procharger inter-cooler. I was running 6lbs and I'm thinking about throwing on the 13lb pulley. This was the next jump up that vortech offered to me. I was looking for something around 10 pounds but Vortech only had 6 pounds and then 13 pound pulleys. I realize that I won't truly make 13 pounds of boost with the inter-cooler. However, I'm worried about the compression being to high. Do you guys think that I should look into lowering compression? If so what would be the best way to lower the compression? Does any company make larger head gaskets to lower compression(can't find anything)? Anyone else running a similar setup, I'd be interested in knowing how it's working out. Thank you.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Procharged Camaro SS

Well finally the cam guy shows up. I'm thinking that a pulsating turbine or blower would serve to cause excessive wear on the their internals.. After all we are talking about a DD that will see (most likely) a lot of traffic congestion and lots of idle time. Lopey cams rarely do well as in dd drivablilty. Least non that I've seen over the years. For the track only is one thing but for a dd is another as you well know.. I'll be running a -6 +6 on the 4 cammer. Canceling out over lap.. Yes it will have a "mild" lope but won't effect it's drivablity..
    Are you retarded?

I have had a cam and 10+psi on my camaro for over two years with no problems. I also can daily drive mine if I want to (just have to be willing to put up with bypass noise)

I just upgraded heads that are milled to bump compression and put in a large cam and everything is fine and I can drive my car as much as I want whenever I want with no issues. I also am running 15+ psi and make almost 800 hp to the ground.

My compression is around 9.8 - 10.0 and I have a large cam

This thread is gay

Click on my sig pic if you want to see a real world boosted f-body build and get useful information
    01 SOM SS D-1SC Tuned by Steve: TunedByFrost.com

FQuick Garage 764 rwhp / 645 tq

2000 Camaro

I have driven w/ my setup (STOCK bottom end/AFR 205 62cc/G5X3/11.3ish' compression) w/ my F1c making 9.5 - 10 psi for well over a year. This combo is good for aroun 650 at the wheels.

My camaro drives just as well if not better than my 03 Civic. There have been plenty of times I needed to use the car for work (which includes 100+ miles of stop and go driving daily) and didn't think twice about it.

As far as I'm concerned, you can pull quotes from where ever you find them off the internet, but my own real life experience w/ a pretty big cam... and big blower tells a different story.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/08...out/index.html

Idle/Driveability: A subjective rating of how lumpy or smooth the idle is and the quality of low rpm driveability. Luckily, with the AEM EMS I can make almost any cam idle well but some have to run at 1,200 rpm for stable idle while others run at 800 rpm. With a factory ECU the story is much different. Some more aggressive cams can cause very poor idle or even cause the engine to stall. Also, low speed running can be an issue with some cams and even cause bucking or misfires. I know we're modifying our cars in the interest of making them faster but most of us also use them as a daily driver. That makes this rating high on my list-it's not very fun driving in traffic while your engine keeps stalling out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your link is for an import engine with it's OEM EMS and AEM, not our GenIII PCMs.

All of my postings are related to LS1's (GenIII). This thread is about GenIII engines. This forum is about GenIII.

I'm not trying to make you mad, I just want to see solid info posted.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Any further name calling or insults will result in infractions from this point forward and the thread being closed.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Any further name calling or insults will result in infractions from this point forward and the thread being closed.
    Y2K to the rescue
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Your link is for an import engine with it's OEM EMS and AEM, not our GenIII PCMs.

All of my postings are related to LS1's (GenIII). This thread is about GenIII engines. This forum is about GenIII.

I'm not trying to make you mad, I just want to see solid info posted.
    me too

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by AFASTYZFR1 View Post
    Are you retarded?

I have had a cam and 10+psi on my camaro for over two years with no problems. I also can daily drive mine if I want to (just have to be willing to put up with bypass noise)

I just upgraded heads that are milled to bump compression and put in a large cam and everything is fine and I can drive my car as much as I want whenever I want with no issues. I also am running 15+ psi and make almost 800 hp to the ground.

My compression is around 9.8 - 10.0 and I have a large cam

This thread is gay

Click on my sig pic if you want to see a real world boosted f-body build and get useful information
    Holly fucking shit! 3 fucking pictures of a motor not built by you.. Build a total one off with your own 2 hands then your statment will have merit. 300 posts in 5 years aint gettin' it dode DUDE.. CLick my link if you want to see a real one off build done in MY shop that has never been done before..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-21-2010 at 02:04 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    good idea...

Sunset Orange
    2001 Procharged Camaro SS

Holly fucking shit! 3 fucking pictures of a motor not built by you.. Build a total one off with your own 2 hands then your statment will have merit. 300 posts in 5 years aint gettin' it dode DUDE.. CLick my link if you want to see a real one off build done in MY shop that has never been done before..
    Check out my user name on ls1tech and no I didn't build my shortblock....so what....but I did everything else

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information