Calling all STS Fbody owners

For all of the STS fbody owners that are out there I have a question for you: What rear gear ratio are you running?

I tried 4.10's whe I first installed the kit but noticed that I was in full boost for a very short time before I had to shift but I loved the hard acceleration.

I then tried out my OEM 3.42's and lost that initial hard acceleration but gained a much longer full boost period.

Comparing to some of the vehicles that I raced before with the 4.10's w/boost i walked away from them like it was nothing.
    With the 3.42's and boost it was a much closer race at the start but once I reached full boost I pulled from them like the 4.10's

I tried 3.73's in my previous 3.8L Fbody n/a and was not too impressed with the acceleration gain.

I'm just curious to see what setups others are running with the STS. Thanks for your input!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLt1 View Post
    For all of the STS fbody owners that are out there I have a question for you: What rear gear ratio are you running?

I tried 4.10's whe I first installed the kit but noticed that I was in full boost for a very short time before I had to shift but I loved the hard acceleration.

I then tried out my OEM 3.42's and lost that initial hard acceleration but gained a much longer full boost period.

Comparing to some of the vehicles that I raced before with the 4.10's w/boost i walked away from them like it was nothing.
    With the 3.42's and boost it was a much closer race at the start but once I reached full boost I pulled from them like the 4.10's

I tried 3.73's in my previous 3.8L Fbody n/a and was not too impressed with the acceleration gain.

I'm just curious to see what setups others are running with the STS. Thanks for your input!

I have 3.55's......it's a Moser 9".......you hit the nail right on the head when you said the 3.42's gave you a longer boost period......with the 4.10's you just have too much load on the motor in such a short amount of time.......really depends on what you want to do with the car though......street car, track car, a little of both......if you're going to stick with the 10-bolt then I'd go with the 3.42's or 3.73's....just my 2 cents....

Yellow
    2004 GTO

Turbos don't don't need high gears. Turbos work off of load, so lower (numerically lower) gears work better. I would keep the 3.42s and concentrate your efforts on other areas to improve e.t.

Ed
    Last edited by edgz06; 11-12-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

would 373's be o.k? thats what I am looking to do.
    1998 Trans Am Vert, M6, Soon to be full of goodies......

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by schrysler View Post
    would 373's be o.k? thats what I am looking to do.
    Should be alright........

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

Silver
    2002 Z28

3.42 was perfect with my custom rear mount.

You can spool faster with the taller gear. Stay with the 3:42's and get a 2step.

eas02
    I have 342 with a moser 12 bolt

White
    2000 Trans Am

I haven't actually been able to get my kit put on. And also got a harlan 2 step, moser 9" with 373 gears. But, If you think about it your rpm run up faster with a 411 vs 373 or 342 and a turbo usually don't spool till about 2500 at the least. So pretty much if you go with a 411 your killing the turbo spooling range. You will run out of rpm range before you can get the full potential of the turbo. I don't know if this makes sence to you but it does to me in my head. Hopes this helps you.

P.S. Also the guy that i bought the sts kit from had 411's and he hated em so he went back to a 342 and he said he loved it. Made more boost range.

Jimmy

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

comparing a 3.8 n/a 6 to a 5.7 turbo motor is just backwards..lol. You want a happy medium to loading the turbo, but spooling it up quickly. 3.73s would probably be your best bet.

Thread Information